Dog-friendly accommodations near Syracuse/Thruway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving from Michigan to the Adirondacks later this month and would like to break up the drive over two days. We're looking for dog-friendly accommodations somewhere around Syracuse or so, close to the Thruway. Would be grateful for any suggestions!
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 09:48 AM

We've stayed twice at the Quality Inn at 6611 Old Collamer Road in East Syracuse. The first time it was a Fairfield Inn. But when we stayed there this past May it had changed to the Choice chain. Fortunately, they hadn't changed the rooms.

I tried to post the link for you but it's not working. However, you can get to it through this site:
http://www.choicehotels.com/

We were very happy with it both times we stayed. It's just off the Thruway but still quiet. The rooms are large and comfortable and reasonably priced.

According the the website, they are pet friendly.

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation and it looked perfect but when I called to verify, I was told they have a limit of 40lb. Our very big goofy golden retriever doesn't qualify.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM

Oh, that's too bad, sumi! I wish I could recommend another place.
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 03:05 PM

Hi Sumi!

Check out this site:

http://www.officialpethotels.com/

I entered some July dates for Syracuse and got several hits. Hopefully itll be helpful!

Have a great trip, ruff ruff!

Old Jul 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM

Orbitz has an option that says "Let me choose amenities." If you check that box you can eventually choose "Pets OK."

(I'd use that just o see some options, then I'd call the hotels to verify and check at the hotel web site for a better rate.)

Syracuse is so close to the Adirondacks...are you sure you want to stay there?
Old Jul 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM

Also, I notice that Residence Inns always permit pets for a fee of $100 or $75 (kinda steep, but well...). Syracuse's Residence Inn claims to charge $75.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions -- I'm actually pleasantly surprised how many places allow pets. I found a couple of Best Westerns and Holiday Inns in the area.

>> Syracuse is so close to the Adirondacks...are you sure you want to stay there?

We're camping in the Adirondacks and our first stop is near Inlet. It's about 10-11 hours from home which is just a little more than what we want to do in one day, especially with a 9 year-old and a dog in the car. Getting to Syracuse will get us pretty close without having to set up camp in the dark.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 07:11 AM

Sounds fun!

Don't forget that the NY state campgrounds are first come first serve for the good sites too, so you might want to leave Syracuse early.

Inlet is nice. Are you going to Eighth Lake? Last time we camped there the bear situation was pretty bad, so be sure to follow ranger advice. (Ask if they don't mention it.) It's possible they've installed bear lockers by now, but I'm not sure.

Here's one really important thing - the bears will break car windows to get at coolers, it was a nightly occurrence at 8th Lake, so be sure to cover your car with a tarp so they can't see in.

I don't mean to scare you - bears in the campgrounds are 99.9% likely to not be aggressive - but they can be inconvenient.

Have a great time!!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up! We actually have reservations at Brown Tract Pond and Rollins Pond. I reserved a while ago to get waterfront sites.

We've camped in the Adirondacks twice before plus many times in the White Mountains (NH), all around Maine, the Bruce Peninsula in Canada and Michigan's Upper Peninsula, so we're pretty used to the bear drill. We haven't really been bothered by them -- probably because they smell our dog and don't think it's worth the hassle.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 06:27 AM

We almost always stay at the Red Roof Inn when we travel with our dog. There is no fee and a very open policy- "one well behaved pet is welcome." There is a Red Roof in Syracuse, so you might consider that!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 01:18 PM

We always stop at the Red Roof Inn in Syracuse on our way to Cape Cod each summer with our dog. It is a basic motel, but is clean and the staff are friendly. There is a good Italian restaurant right next door, Joey's where we always eat as well. I am at work so working from memory but think this is at exit 35. I know it is the last Syracuse exit heading east.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Red Roof Inn suggestions -- they look perfect for what we need. I made reservations for the one in Syracuse but if we're running late and decide not to drive that far, we can call up to 6 PM and stay in Buffalo or Rochester instead. Very convenient!