Reload this Page >

Does anyone travel w/their dog?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 03:18 AM
Linda

We've fallen madly over the last 7 mos. for our new family member - and now hubby is going lukewarm on me on the vacation planning for this summer/fall. I know it's cause he's hesitant to leave her in someone else's hands for 7-10 days. Have never taken a road trip before w/a dog (although she is small and well-trained). We prefer cottage/cabin rentals anyway over hotel/resorts, but if I wanted to see, say, Mount Rushmore, would I be able to do any sightseeing dragging around this loveable mutt? Any suggestions/wisdom from those that have traveled w/their pets? Or that have tried it and said "never again!".....?

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Bill

Linda-There are several websites geared toward people traveling with pets.

www.petswelcome.com
www.dogfriendly.com

Traveling with a pet is no worse than traveling with kids. You just have to plan...

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 08:05 AM
arrjay

Linda - First poster said it all: it is a lot like travelling with your kids...except no one asks "Are we there yet" 64 times in 60 minutes. We did a road trip with our pooch, Tucker, last spring (including Mt. Rushmore, as it happens). It worked out reasonably well - tho there were some nites that Tucker had to spend in his 'doggie condo' (i.e., the back of the van, with the middle seat removed). You really have to plan carefully around the weather however - heat, mainly.

Your query puts me in mind of another question: I wonder how many will 'fess up to sneaking their pooch into a hotel?

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 08:13 AM
DogLover

A lot of chains now take pets, Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, Travelodge, Red Roof Inns. You also need to stop and let Rover run and take along water for him to drink.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 11:06 AM
c

Hi, Linda,we had the same predicament last summer,we have a standard poodle,and while we know he is a gentleman, hotels can be wary of large dogs.We decided to leave him with a sitter last year and go somewhere without him, but this summer we are renting a house and taking him with us.When we spend a couple of weeks in Paris or wherever,he has to stay with a sitter, so it isn't the worst thing that can happen to a dog! But, why leave him behind if you are able to keep him with you? We rented a house in Cape Cod one year and our little cat was welcome,so I would say that my experiences have so far been fine..Good luck~

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Linda

Thanks to all for replying, and especially for the website info. Plan to print some of it up to show hubby that we CAN have a fine vacation taking her with us.....

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Jeannie

My malti-poo travels often with me and/or his "grandparents." We take him almost everywhere. In Baltimore, we wanted to take a Harbor cruise. The motel didn't allow him to be left unattended and it would have been too hot to leave him in the car, so we boarded him overnight.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 01:13 PM
S

Several things to remember:
1) During the summer your car will heat to a level that will cause brain damage and heat exhaustion extremely quickly.
2) While you are dining out, your pet may have to be left alone in your room. Bringing along her crate will make her and your neighbors MUCH happier. (I'm assuming you have crate trained her.)
3) Formal Obedience Training will make walking her MUCH more pleasant. Please don't assume that because you have one of those 30' retractible leashes she will be fine. What happens if she gets loose in an unfamiliar place?
4) Have you had her identification microchip implanted? If you don't know what I'm talking about, please see your veterinarian.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 01:48 PM
diggi

Digital Angel...the chip to keep your dog safe from being lost.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Raquel

Even though there are a lot of things to consider when travelling with a pet I find that it is usually not to bad. If you get on with your pet at home there should not be to any problems while travelling with your pet. What you have to consider is your pets comfort and try not to put it in uncomfortable situations that would be unbearable even for you. That and try to be a responsible pet owner while on holidays ei: don't leave your dog shut in your car. Not a good idea.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Patty

I've taken my dog on numerous trips. It's not that difficult to find accomodations that accept dogs - I wouldn't try to "sneak" my dog into a hotel/motel that didn't accept them. We've stayed at major chain hotels as well as B&B's and cottages that welcomed our dog. The two websites listed above are good places to start. I also like the "Doin' ______ With Your Pooch" series of guidebooks (fill in the blank with your destination). My dog loves to travel and has as much fun as we do! I always bring some of his toys and his kennel with us - he prefers to sleep in his kennel when he's in an unfamiliar place. Also, make sure to keep your dog well hydrated and protected from heat or cold.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 02:43 PM
KT

You do know for sure that she doesn't get carsick, don't you? If not, give her a test drive or you could be in for a very unpleasant trip. But if she travels as well as a certain Mr. Spud of my acquaintance, you're sure to have a great time. On thing I've learned, though, don't leave her in the car with a box of doughnuts -- not even for five minutes!

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 02:45 PM
doggie

KT, my aunt left her kids and the dog in the car and the dog ate her cigarettes! had to have the poor things stomach pumped.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Nan

When my son was small he sneaked our dog into our hotel room overnight. He dressed the dog in his clothes (a tee shirt and shorts) and walked him in upright. Yes, my son turned out to be normal .

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 02:58 PM
KT

Nan, maybe your son turned out to be normal, but what about the poor cross-species-dressing dog? And what about the hotel clerk who couldn't tell a dressed-up dog from a person?

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Pia

Well, KT, some dogs are better looking than alot of people, you know.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 04:32 PM
c

LOL~this is so funny!! I have a large brown standard poodle, I am getting him a tee shirt and taking him to a hotel! He loves to wear bandanas, it should be easy to get him to wear clothes..he will do anything for me~hahaha~maybe I will make him stand at the counter while we check in..with sunglasses on...

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 05:17 PM
MaryC

Hilarious!! C, do you wrap the bandana around your dog's head doo-rag style??

: )

Katie Scarlett, is this the thread to which you referred me??????

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 07:08 PM
DogTales

Re: "do-rags" ;o)
the groomer started the whole bandana trend when my pup was sent home with a little purple and orange Halloween bandana when he was a few months old..since then, every grooming, a new bandana..he has been wearing his 4th of July stars & stripes bandana since Sept 11th..When he sees me getting one out to put on him, he runs up to me and sits...waiting to get gussied up to go out.So it should be easy to gradually introduce him to shirts,ties,socks,although he ha been known to eat socks, swallows them whole,but never fear-he leaves them for me the next morning on the rug~c

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 07:13 PM
MaryC

Absolutely hilarious - thank you for sharing that with us!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -