Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Does anyone sleep well when they are traveling?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like every time I travel I sleep little, if at all, in motels and hotels. If it isn't the loud TV's in the next room, it is the slamming doors. Or the people who sit out side the room and party all night, or the traffic noise from the highway. Or the hard bed, lights from the parking lot, or chugging air conditioning unit, that turns on and off all night.

Yes, it seems like sleeping in most motels and hotels is nearly impossible now days. Can you sleep through all these things?
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 05:00 AM

Judging by your description of the hotels,it sounds as if you are sleeping at a truck stop. Could this be the problem?
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 05:11 AM

We stayed at this fab hotel in Toronto recently called Le Germain. The decor and amenities were out of this world and we couldn't believe our good luck choosing this place. Unfortunately, there was an outdoor patio club nearby that boomed techno music until 3am ever night. We hardly slept a wink. When we go on extended vacations we like to do rental homes, which eliminates most noise problems.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 05:14 AM

I always have problems with allergies when I sleep in hotels. I attribute them to the mold in the under-window AC's. Anyone else have this problem?
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 05:15 AM

Sounds like you need a get-away to a hotel with a great mountain, ocean, or country view. Get away from those cheap motels that sit near a highway, in the city.

However, some of those things like loud TVs are what come with staying in a room next to other people. You can't pick your hotel neighbors, but you can request a room farther from the elevator or air conditioning unit. And there will always be rude people who give no thought to how their actions (turning the TV up too loud, slamming doors) affect other people.

Usually I'm pretty exhausted from travel and getting in as much as I can on my vacations, so generally I CAN sleep through a lot of those things. But, I don't have to travel for business and stay in hotels often. If that were the case, I guess a nice hotel with a view is not always an option.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 06:55 AM

I learned along time ago to bring ear plugs and a sleep mask.
You never know how much traffic noise a hotel location will have. Also in areas where the sun is up around the clock( northern Norway, Iceland, Alaska), it helps to have as sleep mask.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 07:46 AM

Interestingly enough, we just returned from a trip to NYC and I have to say that we slept SO soundly at the hotel we stayed at. (The Gorham, 55th St.) Probably the best sleep ever at a hotel. The beds were queen sized and very comfortable. The pillows were full and soft. We faced the street, but heard not a sound. Perhaps the AC masked that a bit. Maybe there was a light rain. Usually our luck isn't so great with most hotels, but I find that if I'm tired enough, it doesn't matter too much!
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 07:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually sleep very good on vacation. I think it's because I'm usually so relaxed and stress free while i'm vacationing.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 08:04 AM

I have problem sleeping 2-3 nights before the trip when anticipation and anxiety kick in. Once at a hotel I relax and enjoy my vacation. No problem sleeping as usually I get so tired by the time I get back to the hotel room in the evening - never hear TVs or elevators or ice machines.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 08:09 AM

Me too. I get very little sleep a few days before my vacation (especially the night before)because of excitement. I have my eyepatch and ear plugs handy so I actually sleep better on vacation. One thing I can't do is eat well while on vacation.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 08:11 AM

I have always been a very light sleeper and also tend to be an anxious person. I suffered from terrible insomnia for about two years whether at home or traveling. I have conquered it now, although I still have trouble ocassionally, especially right before traveling, as one of the previous posters mentioned.

Anyway, I have learned to always travel with a sound conditioning machine, which helps alot. Also, it is good to get up at the same time every morning, even if you didn't sleep well the night before. Good sleepers probably think this doesn't sound like much of a vacation, but it really helps set your body clock and staying active and on a regular schedule makes it easier to fall asleep on subsequent nights, so you can enjoy your vacation.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 09:20 AM

I never go anywhere without my ear plugs and sleeping mask. They really DO work. I even use the ear plugs at home occasionally, when there is a concert in the park outside or if my neighbors are having a party...and I wear the sleeping mask if I want to sleep late (otherwise I'm up at first light).
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 09:39 AM

the answer is...lorazepam! ask your MD for a prescription for a few 10 mg tabs, and use them when you can't get to sleep. some people are able to get to sleep with tylenol PM, ambien, sonata, or benadryl (generic version is fine).
pleasant dreams!
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 10:34 AM

Generally, I don't sleep well at ANY hotel, motel, or resort if I am only there one night. I do better with additional nights. And it doesn't seem to matter how quiet it is and how nice the bed is. I do find that eating some heavy rich meal before bed (and this happens on vacation) makes things worse. I do use Tylenol PM on occasion.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 11:04 AM

I do have problems sleeping at some places. First problem is usually the noise. 2nd problem could be the bed. The first problem is usually taken care of by turning the fan on & letting it run all night. We keep a fan on all the time at home so we are used to that noise & it drowns out other noises. The bed problem is taken care of by the fact we are usually so tired that it doesn't matter what the bed is like, I could sleep on a bed of rocks & not care. But for me, a new problem cropped up this past weekend when we stayed in an area that had only 1 hotel & we didn't have a reservation & when we checked in, they only had a smoking room left. So we took that. Up to this point we always have been in non-smoking rooms. Even though the sheets were clean, the cigarette smoke smell was everywhere else in the room & it kept waking me up every few hours. The wife & kids had no problem with it though.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 11:20 AM

I think its a common probelm (all the sources of irritants that you and the others hae mentioned). My solution was to buy 2 white noise machines. One I use at home all the time so I am accustomed to it and with the kids up late or neighbors up early we sleep thru it all. The smaller porable one I use in hotels now as I do alot of business travel and it really works for all the noice from the other rooms, etc. plus its a sound I am accustomed too from home. The AC Fan idea works SOMETIMES if it will run constantly and not kick off and on all the time. For anyone that travels alot or is a light sleeper I stronly endorse the white noise machines. Do a Google search for "white noice" and you'll find online sellers and compare prices. My wife is also sold on em and we use it on vacations now too.

BTW, some of the above comments about truck stops or you must stay in cheap motels are b.s. I stay at high end Marriotts, Sheratons, Westins, and nice B&B's and there are jerks everywhere. plus the other occurances mentioned.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 01:03 PM
OliveOyl

Sabie took the words right out my mouth and wrote them verbatim! We can't be alone in this? The hotels we stay in aren't usually noisy, the drapes are so heavy no light ever comes in, even at 12 noon if you don't want it. Beds are really comfy with good quality linens and fluffy pillows. But...neither I nor my husband can sleep night #1, better #2, and from that point on, it's fine. And...Tylenol PM is my friend too.

Throw 2 or more time zone changes into the mix and I'm in big trouble. If we are west of my time zone, I'll be awake at the appointed hour (7), just as if I were in my own zone no matter what I do. Even two zones off it can take a good 5 days before my mind has fallen back to where my body is. Going east is fine.

Old Aug 14th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Kal

If passing out is condidered sleeping-No Problem, Mon!
Kal Van Winkle
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 03:34 PM

I sleep soooooo well on vacation.

Perhaps it's because I fall asleep to the sound of the ocean outside my window.

Perhaps it's because I'm so relaxed; no rushing to work, staying late to meet deadlines, getting stuck in traffic, and so on.

Or, perhaps, just perhaps . . . it's because I'm drunk.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:15 PM

Hi - we have used sound machines for several years now. Does the trick for us. We bought ours at Brookstones - online and they have a travel size.