Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have anything nice to say about Myrtle Beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I admit that I've always thought of Myrtle Beach as sort of a "downscale" vacation destination (mostly due to the people I've known who have gone there.) I just found out that my daughter's dance company is going to do Nationals at Myrtle Beach in late June 2008.

Last year's host hotel was The Sheraton Myrtle Beach Convention Center (formerly the Radison). I assume it will be the same this year.

Does anyone have anything positive to tell me about Myrtle Beach?

Where do you fly into to get there? Charleston?
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 10:59 AM

It has nice golf courses.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:04 AM
iceeu2

She should be fine as long as she does not run into any of these characters.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/335696/index.html

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We went to Myrtle Beach last summer (06). We had a great time. We rented a house and it turned out to be in a campground complex with houses and rv's and everything. I even think it was bible based? Anyway, it was very family oriented, almost corny, but the kids had a blast.
On to my views on MB... the water was warm and had a green tone. I was amazed it had a light color tone to it and that it wasn't brown like much of the east coastline.
The sand was white and nice. The town has tons to do. There is shopping and shows and a million miniature golf places. We did the corny dixie stampede show. (Hint: the north never wins! )
There is a class of hicky redneck types that hang out there and there are tons of low-lifes too. But, there are also lots of families. There are tons of things to do to keep everyone occupied. There is some good dining in the area as well.
So, it was a fun trip. I probably won't go back, but we enjoyed ourselves while we were there.

I am sure Go Travel will check in with a report since I am almost positive that is where she is located.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry, didn't mean to say tons of low-life's. I meant to say there are all kinds and yes some low-lifes too. We encountered lots of families. It is also a big retirement area.

Of course after seeing the group pictures from the Myrtle beach get together, I would almost warn you to stay away from crowds like that! LOL
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 11:14 AM

I think Myrtle Beach is great, especially with teenagers/young adults. There is tons of stuff to do and the beach itself is quite lovely.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM

In no particular order, MB is loved by teenagers, bikers, shoppers & golfers.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

I get nervous when I hear "tons of stuff to do"... When I hear that, I think of miniature golf courses, lasar tag places, go carts, Ripley's Believe It or Not, wax museums, etc., etc. Is that the kind of stuff to do that you're talking about?
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Yes
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 01:52 PM

I get nervous when I hear "tons of stuff to do"... When I hear that, I think of miniature golf courses, lasar tag places, go carts, Ripley's Believe It or Not, wax museums, etc., etc. Is that the kind of stuff to do that you're talking about?

That is exactly what there is to do. For kids, it can be a blast.

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM

When our kids were younger, we often went to myrtle beach, hilton head and the jersey shore. Hands down they preferred myrtle beach. While the accomodations can greatly vary, we were always pleased with our condos and had a great time. DH always loved the golfing and restaurants seemed limitless. In particular, we really enjoyed The Chesapeake House on 'restaurant row'. I agree that myrtle beach gets a bad rap; as in everything, there are pros and cons.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Kids do love the mini golf, go karts, etc.

From around here (mid-atlantic) I always seem to hear about the groups of men who go there and golf all day and go to strip clubs at night. But we're a bit too far to go for just a beach destination - so we hear about the golfing trips.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM

For myself I enjoy Myrtle Beach during the OFF SEASON otherwise you won't catch me near it!

I enjoy the crazy putt putt and shopping and vast restaurant choices but without the lines!!

There is an airport but not very big-Charleston is probably the closest.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Myrtle Beach has the tacky and the terrific, and people I know who've been visiting there for many years say it's getting more upscale all the time. My family went for the first time this past summer (for the kids), stayed in the most northern section of Myrtle Beach, virtually North Myrtle. Our high-rise resort was great, with all it's pools and lazy rivers, and we had good food at the restaurants, and enjoyed the shows. Some of downtown Myrtle Beach was a little creepy and tacky, to be sure, and I won't go back to that area. I think you just have to pick and choose among what the place has to offer; good for people who need kids entertained, I think.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 05:39 AM

In my humble opinion, I think that one of the nicest things about Myrtle Beach is the beach--a beautiful, wide, flat, white sand beach. The town is part of the Grand Strand--a group of communities that hug the coastline. All have great beaches. In fact there are two State Parks within the Grand Strand itself --Myrtle Beach State Park and Huntington Beach State Park. Both are to the south of the town of MB.

The second nicest thing, I believe, is the variey of great seafood restaurants up and down the coast. Murrells Inlet, also to the south of MB, has some of the best of them.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm dreading the trip now more than before, however!!!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Both MB & Wilmington have small airports (you would likely connect in CLT).
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:47 AM

I don't know where your home is, but do check the airfares into MB as well as Charleston. We often fly into MB as we have saved at least $150 pp by flying there instead of Charleston. I love the MB airport as it is small and very easy to get around in - but so is Charleston.

If Spirit flies out of your home airport, try them. They've even got -$2 flights right now! Airfares for the end of June 2008 from DTW to CHS nonstop are running about $350pp/rt for a Wed-Sun. This summer we flew to CHS through Atlanta on a bargain AirTran flight but got hit with delays on the way home due to bad weather. Atlanta is very prone to delays; three of the most delayed flights (late over 95% of the time) in the country on a regular basis involve Atlanta.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 11:15 AM

So, which of you live in a place that is completely homogeneous?

Or is it true that there are "good" parts of your town and "bad" parts of your town? And is it also true that not all of us get a kick out of the same activities & amusements?

Imagine: the Myrtle Beach area is no different than where you live. It has some places you prefer and other places you do not prefer, and likewise offers some activities you would like and some you don't.

missypie, good luck having a decent vacation next June if you are dreading it already.

On the other hand, if you share what you like to do on vacation, and what you need for a nice vacation, I would be glad to make suggestions that will accommodate your preferences.

I live here; before that I was a frequent visitor. There's a reason I am still here. And strangely enough SAnParis, I neither a teen, a biker, a golfer, or a shopper. Yet somehow I manage to get a LOT of enjoyment out of MB. Stereotypes are a poor substitute for learning and experience.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 11:17 AM

uh . . . make that "I AM neither a teen, etc."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -