Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Does anyne know of a Boat/Cruise from Naples to Key West?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Diane

Hi, I am looking for a Boat/Cruise ride to leave from Naples, FL and go to Key West. One that goes each day would be nice, as I would like to go down to Key West, stay overnight and return the following day. Please let me know of any tour companys etc that may offer this in the Naples area.
Thanks!

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 03:58 PM
x

what has been posted on this board about the Naples/Key West boat is: to forget it the water is usaully rough....to just take a flight instead....do a search and I`m sure you`ll find all the posts....

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:27 PM
susan

There's something called the Key West Shuttle that goes between Ft. Myers and Key West. The fare is about $120 a person. The trip is 4 hours, the boat stays in port 4 hours, and there's another 4 hours back. There have been lots of people unhappy because when the seas are high, the trip can be very unpleasant.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Patrick

In addition to the operation going out of Ft. Myers Beach, the Key West Shuttle used to have a departure out of Naples. But they have since moved that departure to Marco Island. Check out their schedules and rates (from both departure points) at www.keywestshuttle.com
There is another company also operating out of Ft. Myers Beach. See www.keywestferry.com
I have known people to go for the day and when the weather turned bad, the return was cancelled and the people had to stay overnight in Key West. This may not seem bad, unless you are already paying several hundred dollars a night staying somewhere like the Ritz in Naples. Either departure will give you about 5 hours in Key West, not worth an eight hour roundtrip boat ride in my humble opinion. In your case it sounds like you would like to spend the night, but they never used to allow an overnight stay, you had to return the same day (unless, as in your case, you are lucky enough to get stranded there).
I believe Cape Air is still flying from Naples to Key West.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Patrick

I just checked and there are three to four flights daily from Naples to Key West on Cape Air. The flight is only 45 minutes. I am not sure what the current cost is. You can call them at 1-800-352-0714. It is a pretty flight. And parking is free at the Naples Airport (perhaps the only airport in the world where that's true???)
By the way, the Naples Princess is a smallish but nice tour boat that does several kinds of cruises in and around the bay and river at Naples, (but not to Key West). Lots of people rave about it. I plan to try it someday, but I've only lived here for 25 years so far. Sooner or later I'll get around to it.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Diane

Thanks for the info everyone. We may fly or just skip the trip this time...have to see how nice it is the week we go..Thanks again!