Reload this Page >

charleston restaurants for celiac sufferers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:42 AM
jeff blake

can anyone recommend any restaurants in charleston which cater for celiacs(unable to eat wheat and gluten)

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Danna

Unaware of anything specific to your problem, however a decent seafood restaurant conviently located near the market called Hymans has lots of very simply cooked seafood. Seems you could get raw/steamed oysters, broiled fish, etc and not worry.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 04:22 PM
d.embody

One restaurant that we love is called California Dreaming. It resembles a castle and is right on the water near the marina. They have food of all kinds and relatively healthy, so there probably is at least a few choices you should be able to have.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Denise

I would call ahead to some places. I guess it depends on how bad your celiac disease is. I think you can find listings at www.charleston.net unter tourist info. Hyman's has a ton of fried food, hush puppies, etc. and I don't know how they keep their kitchen (as far as separate for flour products). Some of the nicer places might be more able to work with you. Make sure to try some shrimp & grits while you're there! The best anywhere can be found in Charleston.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Gretchen

Hyman's is awful. Go to Magnolias, Slightly North of Broad, or any nice restaurant, as you would in your town. Order broiled seafood, rice, salad sans croutons. I know of no restaurants that specifcially cater to celiacs but any good restaurant will take care of your needs.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Carol

The ideas for seafood, rice, etc. should be fine for you in Charleston. There's a "healthy" market just 5 mins. from downtown on James Island you might want to try for a lunch.

EARTH FARE: 74 Folly Rd., S. Windermere Ctr. Healthy, vegetarian, antibiotic, organic, juice bar,
smoothies, tonics, sushi bar, cafeteria-style buffet. B/L/D. Mon-Sun 11 a.m.-3 p.m., 4-8 p.m., Sun 4:30-7
p.m.