Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Does a family ranch/resort exist near a National Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came across a place called Zion Ponderosa Ranch, near Zion of course, and it is an all-inclusive which offers rappeling, horseback riding, ATV's, riflery, archery, paintball, etc. which my sons would absolutely LOVE, the only problem (and I'm not sure how much of a problem it is), is that it doesn't look very nice.

While they would appreciate all the activities, I would appreciate nicer surroundings and dining. Does anyone know if such a place exists?

I looked at a place called Red River Ranch www.rroutfitters.com in Torrey Utah, which is exactly what I'm looking for stylewise, but it doesn't seem to offer any activities other than fishing, which is the one thing none of us is interested in. It also doesn't seem to be near anything of interest, but I could be mistaken. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 09:57 AM

chekc www.ranchweb.com- it lists a lot of ranches.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:44 PM

I have never been there, but a number of my friends used to go to a YMCA camp in Colorado near Rocky Mountain national Park. As I recall them saying, it had cabins and family activities. I also have to admit that this was probably about 15 years ago, but I can't imagine that the YMCA would sell off property.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I checked out the ranchweb site but all the dude ranches seem to be destinations unto themselves rather than near destinations.

I have a feeling that what I'm looking for doesn't exist!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:39 PM

There are several outside Durango, CO and Mesa Verde is nearby.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:49 PM
TheWeasel

YMCA has two locations near Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, one on the Estes Park side and one on the Grand Lake side.

http://www.ymcarockies.org/index.php

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:48 PM

Hi Nina,

Some Fodorites have stayed at the Zion Ponderosa. It is east of Zion Natl Park at a higher elevation. You drive through Zion and the famous tunnel up to the east part of the park, much higher. I've been past it and it holds NO interest for me. Others have said it was nice, but that was a couple years ago. Try a search here using the name to pull up the old trip report.

The Red River Ranch is VERY nice. Lovely rooms and great food. My boss and his wife stayed there last year, but he is a huge fly fisherman and was in heaven. I've driven past it several times on the way to Capital Reef Natl Park (not too far away) and it looks wonderful!

A suggestion: how about the Jackson/Grand Teton/Yellowstone area? There are several guest (dude) ranches right outside of Grand Teton Natl Park that offer lots of activities, plus all the advantages and beauty of the Tetons.

Do a web search for Wyoming, or Jackson Dude Ranches and they will come up. I think this will be about your best bet!

Have fun!
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Dayle, the Red River RAnch looks like it's right up my alley.

I'll look into your suggestion for Yellowstone and Grand Teton too.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:12 AM

We've stayed twice at the Lane Guest Ranch in Estes Park, Colorado, on the east side of Rocky Mountain National Park.