Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer holidays at home or on vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Up

Would you rather be away from home for the holidays, at a new/exciting/tropical locale, or do you prefer to be at home with (or without) friends and family? I love to travel on Thanksgiving Day (no crowds, and who needs turkey?) but at Christmas I always prefer to be at home. In fact, despite the fact that I take 3-5 trips per year, I don't think I've ever been away from my home (at the time) for Christmas. Perhaps I should give it a try? But when I hear about those family trips to the Bahamas (grandparents, parents, their adult kids, spouses, babies) I wonder if it's a good time or a holiday nightmare.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Patrick

I don't have much family around, and being from Florida -- the land of displaced persons -- I have many friends in the same boat.
As much as I dislike cruises, I think the many families who take a big cruise together over the holidays have the right idea. They all spend time together, or apart as much as they wish, with no one getting stuck with the planning, the cooking, the cleaning, etc. Many friends do just that and have a great time that way. Another family I know (three generations and about 25 people) always spend several days together over Christmas at The Homestead in Virginia -- a mid point meeting ground for all of them. They've been doing it for years and love it for the same reasons as the cruise deal -- no one stuck with the dirty work.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 09:44 AM
zzz

I personally like to entertain in my home and it doesn't bother me to cook and plan and clean for the family. I think all hearts come home for the Holidays.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 10:18 AM
rob

I would rather be away from home during the holidays. Too much role playing, unwanted traditions, moody brother.

The Holidays are a stressful time for many people.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 11:03 AM
xxx

I love being away for the holidays! Leaving tonight for the Big Apple!

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 01:36 PM
J Correa

I like visiting relatives during the holidays rather than staying home or going somewhere on vacation.