Search

Do you live in VA?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 08:53 AM
Gee

Do you live in VA?

My husband and I are considering moving to VA. I'd like some information about various cities, climates, housing, cost of living, jobs, etc. I'm 35 going to college and my hubby is an engineer. Please e-mail.

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 10:56 AM
Virginia

Hi,

Virginia's a big -- and beautiful -- state!

Northern Virginia is dominated by the presence of WashDC, which means you get all the benefits and headaches of suburban life. Housing can be expensive, traffic heavy. But if you live just a little further out, you can still get into the DC area for special events but live a very pleasant life -- e.g. well west of Fairfax or up toward W. Virginia/Maryland.

Richmond is a very historic city with a lot to offer, but it is very Southern in many ways -- do not think of it in any way as a suburb of DC. It's 90 minutes but a world away. Not nearly as expensive, but less to do. You'll be aware of tobacco's history there.

Charlottesville is a gorgeous college "town" in the foothills of the Shenandoah mountains. Small but gracious.

Newport News/Hampton Rds./Va. Beach are dominated by military presence.

Williamsburg is in a very pretty area, and/but dominated by tourist/college scene.

How 'bout more info to help narrow things down?

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 11:40 AM
Dawn

What part of Virginia are you considering?

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 12:55 PM
M.E.

I live in Centreville, VA, about 40 minutes southwest of DC. Climate is hot, humid in summer (90s). Cost for a 3-level townhouse with garage is $170+ in our area. PRO: The further out from DC you go, the cheaper the real estate prices get. CON: Jobs are not as adundant the further you go. Most people have long commutes. Metro buses and rails are good to shorten the distance and allow the option of not driving.

I've also lived in Old Town Alexandria, VA, which is closer in to DC. Old Town has an old world feel. Its main street is full of shops, antiques, restaurants, etc. Great entertainment and bars are found there. Popular hangout on the weekends. Though, cost of real estate is high.

Your husband would probably do well in the Crystal City area (near Pentagon) for a job, depending on what type of engineer he is.

Good luck!

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 12:56 PM
Lynn

Gee, here are 2 web sites that may be helpful to you:
http://www.virginia.com
http://www.hamptonroads.com
My hubby and I lived in the Hampton Roads area for a few years and adored it.

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 06:35 AM
Gee

Thanks for your responses. What part of the state has mild winter(no snow or little snow) and summers that are not too humid/sticky? Thanks.

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 06:45 AM
martha f

I'm not sure you can get both anywhere in Vrigina (maybe anywhere on the East Coast). Where are you now? "Hot and sticky" is a relative thing, after all, so if you're in the deep South, You may be able to find a place in VA that suits you fine.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 12:57 PM
Dana

Hi, Gee!
I'm in the same position. My fiance and I are going to move to VA too. We are in Atlanta now (I'm from NJ). We have the choices of:
Staunton, Richmond, Newport News, Lynchburg, and Petersburg right now. I'm more of a "suburb of a city" girl, and he's small town, so I guess mid-size town would be good. What are you looking for Gee? And are there any recommendations out there based on my cities anybody?

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 01:55 PM
Helen

Hi Gee, I used to live near Blacksburg, VA which is in Southwestern VA. The rest of the year is beautiful in the mountains, but winters do get snow! The cost of living is inexpensive and there is lots to do! Your husband has probably heard of Blacksburg as it is the home of VA Tech - a popular engineering university and so has all of the cultural activities that a University town offers!

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 03:51 PM
Joy in VA

We live in New Kent county, between Richmond & Williamsburg. I commute about 20 - 30 minutes to my job in downtown Richmond, but live in a rural county. LOVE it here, have always lived in VA. You can't throw a rock without hitting something historic. Easy drive to DC, beach, mountains. If you move here, it is hot & humid in the summer, not much snow east of Charlottesville & south of Fredericksburg in winter. Major universities - William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia Commonwealth U in Richmond - with sports teams, evening / weekend programs. I would NOT live in northern VA if you paid me! Too much congestion!

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 08:22 PM
Rita

Gee, Gee. You have great vision. VA is for and about everything from Mountains to sea with history thrown in. I highly recommend the Hampton Roads area for college, culture and COL. We have such variety in job selections and engineers are always in demand with Gov't facilties as well as private industry. Some day when you retire,you will say--I'm glad I have roots here, for this is where you will want to be forever. Cheers, rio PS-We love cats too.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 08:08 AM
Maria Daverson

I live in Maryland, but i visit Virginia all the time. Take my advice, from an 18yr old attending college in VA. Its a very gorgeous state, but the further out you go, like to richmond for instance, it isnt very well to do, or attractive. I find Richmond VERY scary!!! Since VA is south, you will find the weather warmer and muggier there. The north is nice, because you're closer to the city, and you have more options for entertainment, housing etc. I think as long as you stay in teh suburbs of VA you'll be fine. Dont go too far into the country - unless you really really like being isolated!!

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 08:09 AM
Maria Daverson

I live in Maryland, but i visit Virginia all the time. Take my advice, from an 18yr old attending college in VA. Its a very gorgeous state, but the further out you go, like to richmond for instance, it isnt very well to do, or attractive. I find Richmond VERY scary!!! Since VA is south, you will find the weather warmer and muggier there. The north is nice, because you're closer to the city, and you have more options for entertainment, housing etc. I think as long as you stay in teh suburbs of VA you'll be fine. Dont go too far into the country - unless you really really like being isolated!!

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 08:46 AM
dAWN

I live in VA and I agree with the last poster. I live in Fairfax, and as far as suburbs go, it's quite nice. But housing is expensive , and I wouldn't go too far out either. Much has to do with your perspective and where you've been. Plus the things you find important in your life.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 11:38 AM
potomac pete

Remember to check out the Maryland suburbs, too!

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 12:13 PM
S

I know I'll offend some posters, but Virginia is not The Deep South anymore!

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Rachel

originally posted in 1999. i'm sure Gee has relocated or not by now. Who pulls up the old stuff anyways to confuse us?

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 12:42 PM
x

good question

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Marti

I just moved to Leesburg, VA, it's north, about 30 miles from DC. It's a quaint town, with amenities close by. Be warned, housing here is outrageous! We paid more than double what we would pay in Ohio or Western NY, and Leesburg is pretty far out. But the further you get towards DC, the higher it gets.