Do you know...Chicago?

Search

Do you know...Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you know...Chicago?

I'm a single woman arriving at O'Hare past midnight on a weeknight. I've never been to Chicago before. Looks like I can ride a train from the airport to the loop. I'm staying at Sheraton Hotel/Tower. Could someone please tell me the closest station, and will I be able to walk (safely) from the station to the hotel at night? Thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 09:27 AM

You can ride the Blue Line train into the city but even during the day, it's a good hike to the Sheraton from the closest station.

To reach the train, follow the signs on the baggage level that say "CTA trains to city." It would take about an hour and you'd get off at Clark/Lake. Although you shouldn't have problems onboard, if you want an added measure of safety you can ride in the first car with the train operator. Each car is also equipped with an intercom for emergencies. Look for the blue light.

The Blue Line is busy well into the night with travelers, airport and airline employees and many others.

From Clark/Lake, the Sheraton is about 3/4 mile. The station is on the lower level of the State Building and it shouldn't be difficult finding a cab in that area.

A cab from ORD would run about $35-ish.

If you opt for the train, check www.transitchicago.com a couple days before you're traveling. The CTA is performing heavy maintenance on the tracks and suspending service some nights.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 11:35 AM

A shuttle is the 2nd economical mode of transportation after the train, it takes you door to door, and you don't have to worry about safety.

Check the "ground transportation" section of the O'Hare website. You don't have to make reservations, just take the first available. They run 24 hrs.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM

No train, no walking alone past midnight. Hey, this is Chicago. You're a woman alone!.....

Take a cab, or the shuttle (not familiar with the later one), and get right to the door of the hotel.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Kal

Ditto shuttle and taxi.
Especially after midnight. Why take chances to save a few bucks.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I will look into the shuttle option, as well as the train, but I think you're probably right about the shuttle being a better option at that late hour. Any idea how long the ride will be? Also, since I have only 2 days in Chicago, what sights do you think I should absolutely not miss. I was thinking the Art Institute, since I love museums. But I also love to walk around, so from the Sheraton, what would you recommend as a walkable destination? Thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Kal

Down Mich to Grant Park/Art museum then up Mich to Water Tower/John Hancock Tower...
maybe a detour over to Navy Pier way for the scenery of a great Chicago skyline? Or walk thru downtown and see all the outdoor sculptures by Picasso, Kandinsky, Calder etc...then a walk along the Chicago River..up to Mich.

Have a "cuppa Coffee" at the top of the John Hancock Tower.
Beautiful.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 06:25 PM

You would be nuts to take the train that late at night. I say that politely.

Be safe. It will only cost you $30.

Chicago is very walkable and well worth it. Great architecture.

Wonderful place. Be sure to buy popcorn at Gerrits - buy the mix carmel and cheese together. We are going there this Friday and wouldn't miss it.