Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do you ever get a feeling, right after a vacation, that you need a vacation?

Old Nov 26th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed over the years that only about a week or two after getting home from a trip -- whether a long or short one -- and I'm back at work, suddenly I'll have this intense feeling that I need a vacation. I'll wonder for a moment when's the last time I had one, and then I'll laugh at myself and realize I just took one.

I think it must be that I get and stay in "work shape" when I'm in my daily routine. Then I take the vacation. At least for me, I'm often able to become quickly absorbed in whatever it is I'm doing on the trip -- enjoying spending time with the family, the activities, the scenery, or the different culture -- and forget about work, even for just a while. The more I'm able to do this, the more I feel like I need another vacation right after going back to work.

Maybe, but in a good way, this is the mental equivalent of getting physically out of shape. There I am at work, a week or two after the trip, and suddenly I feel mental exhaustion coming on -- like I need another vacation. It must be that due to the trip, I've mentally fallen out of "work shape." After a few weeks back at the job, I'm focused on work again and feel fine -- at least 'til the next vacation.

Does anyone get a similar feeling?
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 05:35 AM

All the time. I think another reason is that, when I'm gone for a week or two, the work piles up. So after I get back, I spend that first week or so playing catch-up -- and by the time I'm done, I'm ready for another vacation!!
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 06:00 AM

Yes, I do feel that way.

I can work for months on end without a vacation and feel okay, enjoy my job, perform in a very productive manner. But let me take a two week vacation and I go through a real withdrawal period when I return to the office. It lasts about a month until I feel like I'm back into the swing again.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Not exactly as you describe, but I do tend to get the post vacation blues IF I'm returning from a trip of some kind.

To help remedy this, I'll either make sure I have a couple days off at home following the trip, or I'll actually schedule another shorter trip soon after (like maybe a weekend get away).
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Kal

"I need to get back to work so I can get some rest".
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Absolutely. I start haunting the sale travel sites almost immediately when I arrive home. I suspect that travel is addictive; you get your fix, go home, and then want to see somewhere different again!
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Especially after visiting Disney World!
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 07:31 PM

The only antidote for me is to start planning another trip. Pick a location and find what there is to see and do. Check out hotels, their locations, amenities and prices. And most important find restaurants and read reviews, look at menus, pictures etc. After I set a date, I'm ready to work right through til time to go again.
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 06:45 AM

It always takes me a couple of weeks before I stop dreaming that I'm in the place.

If possible, I take a day off between the time my plane lands to when I have to go back to work but not always. I like my work and the vacation gives me an extra energy so I'm revved up.
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 09:06 AM

Sometimes. I like getting back on a Friday and return to work on a Monday. That's the best scenario.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 05:44 AM

Funny, SiteC_er, I must be the opposite -- I had vacation withdrawal after getting home from Iceland last month, and immediately planned a "quick fix" weekend in Disney!
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Sometimes yes and sometimes no...after Disney or so called "working vacations" where I am a complete tourist and try to see everthing I can...I need a vacation.

When I go to the beach and do nothing...it is not any easier to go back to work, but at least I'm not exhaused!!!
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Don't get me wrong, I/we love Disneland & World (been to WDW 6 times). However, with so-much to see and do we're constantly on the go and come back home completely worn out (in a good way).
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't say I need a vacation after my vacation...

BUT I do seem to "forget" how to type each time I'm away, which makes it a bit difficult to do my office job.

AND depending how long I'm gone and where I am traveling, I also sometimes seem to forget how to speak English!
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 01:41 PM

I always have the feeling of jumping onto a moving train when I get back to work from a vacation - that my pace has slowed such that I need to really get myself in gear. Getting back into the swing of things is definitely an adjustment.
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 03:55 PM

I always work very hard before I leave to close off everything possible on my desk - that helps reduce the amount I come back to.

Then, I take a couple days off before I leave so I don't feel rushed on the way out. That helps prevent me from getting into that "hyper-adrenaline" rushing right before the trip.

When I return, I always take at least a couple days, more for a longer trip. These days are spent doing trip laundry, processing photos, visiting with friends, and just generally coming down from the trip high.

The day before I return to work, I check my work email. This way, I'm not blindsided that first morning with any emergencies, issues, etc. that tend to make me crazy.

Of course, with all this, my first day of work I always say "I need a vacation".
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 07:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I use ALL the vacation time for the trip. So it's not unusual for me to stagger back to the office, when my flight only landed at midnight the night before! Because my most frequent trips are relaxing beach vacations, everyone is used to me wandering around in a haze the first few days back.

Old Nov 30th, 2008, 11:44 AM

I get that way very often for ex. i am on my way back from a trip with family up north and all i seem to want to do is relax althow with all the grose weather this is very hard so here i am