Outer Banks in November?

Search

Outer Banks in November?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outer Banks in November?

My husband and I live in Charlotte and since moving here two years ago we have made the habit of going out of town during the Thanksgiving holiday so that it's not so noticable that we are away from family. We stayed in a gorgeous plantation B&B in Georgetown, SC in 06 and went to Savannah last year. This year we are considering the Outer Banks.

We have never been to the Outer Banks. I fully understand that it will not be beach weather, and that is perfectly fine. I'm just wondering exactly how quiet the towns will be, meaning will we be able to find restaurants and shops open? We would be bringing the pooch and I'm assuming we would have to stay in a hotel since most rentals won't rent for less than a week and will only be gone for 3-4 nights.

So, for those who have been to the OBX during off-season, please share your thoughts!

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:03 AM

I have been to Topsail Beach(close to wilmington) five times in my life for Thanksgiving and have experienced both cold weather and pleasnt, sunny weather. You are at the whim of whatever front is passing through.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:17 AM

We spent one Thanksgiving week on Emerald Isle which I don't think qualifies as outer banks. It was pretty quiet but some of the coastal towns have boat parades the Saturday after Thanksgiving. We explored, ate out but cooked a turkey/family dinner at the beach house. You might check prices and even if you paid for the entire week you might find a good deal compared to a hotel. We had a 4 bedroom place but really only needed 2 or 3 bedrooms. There were some smaller places available. We were about a block away from the beach. Also close enough to Wilmington to spend a day there.
Old Oct 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking I may have to pass on the OBX. I've done a little research and it may be a little too quiet. I don't mind chilly weather but I'm worried about cold winds. We are also considering DC or historic Williamsburg...decisions decisions.

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 02:23 AM

We were in Nag's Head for Thanksgiving year before last, and everything there and in Manteo was open _except_ on Thanksgiving Day, when there were restaurants open for dinner, I think mostly by reservation.

The supermarket was probably open most of the day, but I can't vouch for it.

There was plenty of traffic on Wednesday and Sunday going to and from Richmond.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 03:25 AM

We are going to the Outer Banks the second week in November for a long weekend, staying at the Sanderling. I have been told that most places stay open through Thanksgiving weekend. I would check out what's open on Thanksgiving Day, to be sure. The Sanderling is in Duck and has two restaurants - that might be a starting point for you. It also has an indoor pool and a spa but I'm not sure if they have any pet-friendly units. This will be our first time there in a hotel - we usually rent a condo or house. A small pet-friendly condo would likely be no more expensive than a hotel.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 04:18 AM

We spent last Thanksgiving week in Nags Head and have rented a place for this year's week in Kitty Hawk.

GREAT time to be at the beach IF you like beaing at the beach in the "off" season.

Plenty of places are open including shops and restaurants..and you'll find a LOT more variety in terms of eating and shopping at the beach than you will in Willaimsburg..we were just there this past weekend and IMO there is NO comparison.
Old Oct 21st, 2008, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies.

We do like being at the beach during off season. We aren't really lay-on-the-beach-all-day type of people anyways. We appreciate beautiful scenery and long walks on the beach, but I must have the attention span of a two year old because I get bored of the beach after a few hours. We also do not like crowds which is why I thought Thanksgiving may be a nice time to visit.

I have never been to Williamsburg, but there seems to be quite a few restaurants in and around colonial Williamsburg. Dukey, you said that they didn't compare. Would you mind elaborating? I'm curious!

Thanks again!
Tracy
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 04:17 AM

This is probably too late for the OP, but we were just in Williamsburg and the Outer Banks the second week of November. Williamsburg is pretty and will be beautifully decorated for Christmas - there are some excellent restaurants included the Fat Canary and the Blue Talon Bistro plus upscale and outlet shopping there.

We stayed at the Sanderling Inn in Duck and were happy with our choice. Some places are closed but they re-open for Thanksgiving week - I understand that the big rental houses are very popular gathering spots for Thanksgiving and get booked far in advance. Enough places were open for dinner for us and I would recommend the Blue Point as an upscale dining option.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM

my fam. has an anual trip to duck nc wich is beautiful little town it is best to rent a little house