Reload this Page >

Do You Always Use Housekeeping?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:28 AM
GoTravel

I've noticed my last few business trips that I've started requesting no housekeeping.

Not sure why and was wondering if anyone else does this?

I only refuse housekeeping for business trips and not pleasure.

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pay for it I expect it and I use it.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:46 AM

I've never really thought about turning down housekeeping services, although I probably could since I don't really need it on a trip of only a couple or more days.

I'm pretty tidy and tend to pick up after myself so there isn't really much for them to do. Heck, I even make the bed before I leave the room each day.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:02 AM

If I'm staying at a place for a few days and the housekeeper makes the bed in a way that the bottom sheet won't stay tucked in--I make the bed.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:16 AM

The only service we might turn down would be "turn down" service. And that would simply be because we wish not to be disturbed.

In all the years that my husband has traveled for business, he has never requested "no housekeeping" -- he expects to return to a made bed and a bathroom with replenished towels.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:19 AM

I must have housekeeping. Paying for it, and one of the main reasons DH and I much prefer motels to RV's when traveling, I do not need to do a thing!!! If I wanted to make beds etc I would stay home. JMO
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:21 AM

Oh, I meant to add...

I wonder if you are doing something differently on your business trips...

For instance, are you leaving your clothes spread out on the bed and rushing out the door? In that case, it's easier to leave your stuff on the bed. That might be a reason why you don't want housekeeping to make up your room.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:40 AM
GoTravel

No, I'm actually very neat in my hotel rooms.

I don't have them change out towels and I usually make my own bed.

Since I'm used to fighting for space in my queen bed at home with Mr.GoTravel and two large cats (they all snore), I don't even move in the King bed I usually get so there isn't really bed to make.

I must just be a weirdo.

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:48 AM

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:51 AM

Sometimes I do... especially if there is no safe in the room.
I am pretty neat and really all I need is fresh towels, amenities and the trash removed. Even if I use the service I clean my room before I leave each day.
I bag my trash as I go and leave it on top of one of the cans. And since I clean certain things when I arrive, I often ask that they not clean them while I am there. For example, the bathtub.
I just have this fear that they use the same rag used to clean to toilet to clean the tub, the phone, etc...
I actually carry a small bottle of disinfectant. I travel a lot... and I just spray things before I use them. The bathtub is generally clean looking in the hotels I frequent, so I spray it down and let it sit for 10-20 minutes before I take a bath. I spray the phone handset, doorknobs and other frequently touched surfaces.
I am sure this sounds extreme, but it takes just a second.
Anyway, after I get everything 'clean' I figure I can do without regular cleaning... just a refresh.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:11 AM

Ditto to Curt. I want clean towels and the trash taken out.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:19 AM

If I'm attending meetings on site, I like to be able to go back and forth to my room--if I don't need anything, I'll just leave the "no thanks" on the door.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM

I prefer to conserve resources by not having my towels and bedding washed daily, so I ask housekeeping not to come more often than I have them come.

I also prefer an unmade bed (I like to let the sheets air out during the day), so no need for me or them to do that work.

Occasionally I'll go ahead and have them come clean, and some hotels do offer the option to leave towels and bedding unwashed, but it's generally more hassle for me to have them come. Whether or not I've paid for it doesn't come into the picture - I pay whether I use it or not, but I have to deal with putting my things where they won't be in the way of cleaners if I do use it.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:09 AM

Cleaning your bathroom? Making the bed?? Lord, I don't do those things in my own home.

One of the joys of staying in a hotel is having someone do all this for me.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Always use maid service, always need towels and need trash removed. I travel with three slobs!!! I need someone to come in and make the beds and freshen the room!! I do pick up our dirty clothes and try to make it more liveable. I also bring wipes and wipe the phone, tv flipper and toilet seat down before we use them. That's it. I take my chances with the other bacterias that have been left behind. I never take a bath in a hotel room. I also like to bring my own pillow if possible. If flying, I don't. But if driving, I prefer my own pillow.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 11:24 AM

I always use housekeeping - esp on business trips. I end up using the room as an office and the second bed to spread out the projects I'm working on. (the desk is usually just big enough for my laptop and the one current project - not all the other projects and meeting materials).

But I definitely need someone to take out the trash, remove the breakfast tray, make the bed, bring fresh towels etc. Otherwise the room would be unlivable in 24 hours.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 11:55 AM

Once when I got sick I asked not to clean up as I had to stay in bed that day.

Do you worry about housekeeping rummaging through your belongings?

I just don't feel like depriving them from tips every day.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:06 PM
GoTravel

No, it doesn't have anything to do with tips. I usually leave $5-$7 my last day.

I guess I'm just a weirdo with freaky privacy issues.

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:18 PM

GoT - We can be weird together - Mike T - Who said anything about cleaning their own bathroom??? Maybe I just missed it on my quick read-through.

But this clearly highlights some travel differences - I never have a breakfast tray in my room, and usually even after a few days in a hotel, my trash can is not full (what do you put in there????). I hang my towels at home to dry and use them for a week straight before washing, so I'm comfortable doing the same in a hotel.

It's not so much a concern that they'll go through my things, it's just more comfortable to feel the room is "mine" with no one else coming in and out while I'm gone. Or, heaven forbid, while I'm not gone!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:45 PM

JLM. TTP says:

"Even if I use the service I clean my room before I leave each day . . . And since I clean certain things when I arrive, I often ask that they not clean them while I am there. For example, the bathtub . . . I actually carry a small bottle of disinfectant. I travel a lot... and I just spray things before I use them. The bathtub is generally clean looking in the hotels I frequent, so I spray it down and let it sit for 10-20 minutes before I take a bath. I spray the phone handset, doorknobs and other frequently touched surfaces.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -