Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do we need a car for Charleston/ Savannah??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are debating a rental car during our trip to Charleston and Savannah. We only need it for 2 days. One day for tours of 1-2 plantations. And the next day for our drive from Charleston to Savannah. Other than that we could take cabs to and from the airport. The cost of a rental car plus valet parking for the 6 days is high. Can anyone tell me if there is a way between the 2 cities without a car? And is the a tour company you can suggest for us to tour the planations?
thanks
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 02:24 AM

I am not aware of public transit between Charleston and Savannah. It sounds like you are doing it just right tho. You don't need a car in Charleston or Savannah. On your way from C to S, drop by Beaufort SC. It is a miniature Charleston with one of the most beautiful historic areas anywhere [it was not destroyed in that war]. Consistently rated in top 2-3 coastal small towns by Southern living. Both carriage and walking tours are available. Forrest Gump, Big Chill, etc filmed in Beaufort.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 04:13 AM

There are public parking garages in Charleston that are MUCH cheaper than valet parking, and there are very likely to be in Savannah as well. I think I only parked on the street on our first trip when we stayed in an inn rather than a hotel.

You can google if you don't get specific recommendations here.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:27 AM

You may want to also go to the beach and for that you will need a car.

I also love Beaufort. Stop by the Old Sheldon Church ruins too.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:41 AM

It is possible to take an AMTRAK train or a Greyhound style bus between the two cities.

The bus and train station in Charleston are in the same spot in North Charleston, and taking a cab to and from there is wise as the area is not good.

The bus station in Savannah is within easy walking distance to the historic downtown. The AMTRAK station is on the fringes of the city, and a cab will be necessary from there to downtown, as there's no public transportation that goes out there.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 05:45 AM

I agree with Ackislander - try to find better priced parking and you may not save much money trying to do it without a car, and I really don't think you want to try to get between the 2 cities via public transport.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 09:05 PM

Unless you stay right in the downtown hotels near the river and the historic district, you would need a car cause a lot of the hotels in Savannah are quite far from the downtown historic district. Also we went out on the highway for breakfast (best breakfast I ever had) and you would need a car for that too.