Search

Do we dare ?

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do we dare ?

We are going to New York from Europe (Amsterdam) in June/July with our 15 year old son. I'm a bit scared because of the terror-threats this summer!! I agree with all of you saying that the terrorists shouldn't win this war, but anyhow, I feel my pulse beat a little faster when I think about this trip. What do you think ..?
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:10 AM

What makes you think Amsterdam won;t be a target?
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:13 AM

I am also nervous for our upcoming trip in August during the Republican National Convention. However, we are still going!
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:25 AM
bonniebroad

Willi,

The possibility of terrorism is everywhere......everyday! Why would you not come to New York? New Yorkers live there everyday! Hop on that plane and enjoy your life.........

Old May 29th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

To nytraveler: I don't. We never know where and when and that scares me.

Tim and Liz: I suppose we are still going, too. I'm telling myself that it's not likely that somehting will happen just when we are travelling ...
Old May 29th, 2004, 11:49 AM
caribtraveler

willi: your concern is a valid one. nyc did get attacked twice, in 1993 and 2001. all i can tell you is that ny got the message from 9/11 and security measures are extremely tight in the city. i live in new jersey, about 40 minutes from ny. my husband and i go into nyc quite a bit for our "dates" and we love it and are not worried. since 9/11, nyc authorities have done and are doing a tremendous job with security.
nytraveler: i understand the point you're trying to make but it's a bit of a simplistic one. we all know who's on al-qaeda's top list: the u.s., followed by britain, spain and a few other ones. i don't think amsterdam is anywhere near the top 20, if there is a top 20.
now tim_and_liz: forget about terrorism. why on earth would you come to nyc during the republican national convention? traffic sucks on a normal day in nyc, do you know how bad it will be during the convention??

Old May 29th, 2004, 11:56 AM

Caribtraveler- trust me I would have avoided it if possible! We didn't know until we had booked. Poor planning I guess. Luckily we are leaving on August 31st, we plan to spend the last days in the park and out of the way sites and do our usual touristy things earlier. I hope it doesn't get too cumbersome to deal with increased security!
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:23 PM

None of us should live our lives in fear. I was in NYC on 9/11 and close enough to see the 2nd tower fall --needless to say it was pretty traumatic. A few months before the nightclub was blown up in Bali, my son was there. I get a little nervous when I travel anywhere -- went to London last year when security was up, and I started out a little edgy, but had a wonderful time. You can protect yourself all you want and get hit by a car in the parking lot of your neighborhood grocery store. I wouldn't worry too much about June/July in NYC.
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:28 PM

BTW- I dearly love NYC and have been back there many times both on business and pleasure trips since 9/11. New Yorkers are great people, and NYC is a great city.
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:36 PM
bonniebroad

Are you guys aware there's been a bad attack in Saudi Arabia, as we speak? 16 dead, 50 hostages being held........ All Americans have been ordered out........... YIKES! So sad.........

Old May 29th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

I agree, fear is a lousy companion and I really look forward to coming back to New York. Last time I was there was in 1978!! I loved every minute of it then! However, when we get there,we are going to rent a car travelling around for some days (12). My husband doesn't want to rent a car in advance, even if I tell him that we should. He says that it is also possible to get good deals on a rental car if we just rent it from an outside Manhattan office. F.ex. Stamford. Any opinions on this ?
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Since 9/11, New York has become one of the safest large cities in the world. There are more important things to worry about.

Dave
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:44 PM

Try to be rational. You have a better chance of being killed in a road accident at home than by a terrorist attack abroad. And that is a fact. About 45,000 die each year on the roads. Does that stop you from driving?
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:53 PM
GoTravel

Just stay downtown with the exception of Wall Street.

Republicans south of 14th Street is kinda like the Queer Eye For The Straight Guy making over Jerry Fawell.

Ain't gonna happen.

Old May 29th, 2004, 01:56 PM

willi, I don't understand why you would even consider renting a car in NYC. Public transportation is great, and if you don't mind walking, that is even better. Having a car in NY is a pain- besides the cost of renting the car you have to pay exhorbitant fees to park it. Taking cabs from place to place is cheaper than renting a car and paying for parking. If you are going outside of NYC, the best thing to do is get out on public transportation and then rent a car outside the ciy.
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

KathyM: We will not drive in NYC. Where outside the city would go to rent a car ?
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:19 PM

That depends on where outside the city you want to go. Where are you planning to visit besides NYC?
Old May 30th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

KathyM: We are not quite sure, but are planning on Washington DC and I also would like to go to the Amish-area.
Old May 30th, 2004, 02:38 AM

willi - I give you same answer I have given those asking same question about other destinations - fears are rarely rational and often not relieved by statistics - but can you put aside the fear enough to really enjoy yourself - if yes, then make the trip. Because I am sure you know that your individual chances of harm to you and your family are tiny.

When we have had visitors from Europe over the past years, they always expect US to be far more dangerous and violent than it is - because that is what makes for good news reports. We had 3 teenager visitors from England whose grandmothers were so terrified they would be shot at while visiting Boston that I do not think they slept the entire time their grandsons were here.
Old May 30th, 2004, 02:42 AM

Willi- Regarding your car rental question: Reserve a car from any of the many car rental agencies located in Manhattan and pick it up after you check out of your hotel on your way to Washington/Amish country. This way you do not have to worry about parking it in Manhattan, and do not have to travel outside Manhattan to pick up your car. If you plan on returning to Manhattan, drop it off prior to checking back into your hotel. You can also arrange to drop off the car at the airport if you plan on leaving directly after your excursion to Washington/Amish country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -