Dividing time in Glacier

Search

Dividing time in Glacier

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2017, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Dividing time in Glacier

We are considering a trip to Glacier, one of the big western National Parks we have not seen. This could be next summer.

If we were to spend about a week in the park, how would you divide your lodging time. Typically we like to spend 3 nights minimum at a major destination, so in a week maybe we'd stay at 2 different lodges.

Which lodges would be the best to choose? I have not done much research yet, but maybe Many Glacier and Lake McDonald?

Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2017, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many Glacier and Lake McDonald would be a great way to split a week. We preferred the east side for the scenery, hikes and wildlife viewing so I would favor a longer stay on that side.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:06 AM

When you say next summer do you mean 2017 or 2018...
If it is 2017 I am affraid it will be too late to got lodges...
For 2018
- 2 days on the west side( Lk Mc Donald Lodge or Apgar lodge-cabins on the river- or Apgar village inn)
- 2 days in East Glacier(to explore Two Medecine area) : Glacier Park lodge, room in the wing not in the central building and request mountain view...
- 3 days at Many Glacier or St Mary(depend what you get) to explore this part : Swiftcurrent motor inn has always been one of our favorite but it is very difficult since Xanterra has the concession as they get priority to tour operator and buses.., Many Glacier hotel if you have a lakeside view.
St Mary cabin on the river is a good option...and depending the weather you can drive to Many Glacier(30 mn) or on the Going to the sun road east part and all the nice hikes here...
Erik
Old May 22nd, 2017, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks much for the replies. Looks like a longer stay on the east side is the consensus.

This would be for summer of 2018, but I want to be ready to book something when they open up the reservations. I've seen how outfitters and tour operators can bag many of the rooms.

Patty and Erik, I found your Glacier trip reports but in both cases the photo links don't work. Still, excellent info in there and I have them saved. (Erik I previously saved your Yellowstone TR as we are going there this August.)

Thanks again.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 01:17 PM

Yeah, Shutterfly changed their format and none of the old links work anymore. I just updated it with a new link. Hope that one works.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 01:24 PM

When we were there (5 years ago in September) we approached heading north from Yellowstone to the east side; therefore stayed at Many Glacier, and we loved it. On our last day we left early to spend the day at Lake MacDonald, then exited the park and spent two nights in Whitefish MT (catching the train to WA & OR). Seemed silly to split stay twice in the park. We did GTTSR from Many Glacier which was the highlight of our visit.