Reload this Page >

Distance from Wailea to Lahaina??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Jennifer

I am getting a little worried about the lack of nightlife in Wailea. We are booked at the Kea Lani. Is there enough to do at the hotels in Wailea? We don't need to party every night, but we like to go out for drinks and listen to some music. How far away is Lahaina?

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Bill

Lahaina was about 30-40min drive, if I remember correctly. We were disappointed in the lack of restaurant choices in Wailea, but we hadn't done much research to search places out before we went.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:55 AM
finale

There is some night life in Wailea. Last time I was there we had diner at Cheeseburger in Paradise right in the mall and there was a solo performer that was quite good. I'm guessing there are a few other places as well.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:37 AM
ruth

Don't go to Ruth's Chris in Wailea. It was normal, everyday food. For the price it is not worth it. I know in good steak houses everything is al acarte but $6.00 for a baked potato? $35.00 for a strip steak? We have had better steak in less well known places. We felt a bit ripped off. The atmosphere is blah and typical of any mall restaurant.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 09:35 AM
sherrie

Just got back two weeks ago. The drive time from Wailea is about 30-40 minutes as previously stated, depending on traffic. We stayed in Wailea at the Kea Lani also. Honestly, having come from the East Coast, we never really adjusted to the time difference and were tired pretty early in the evening (10:00 or so). On the one night we went to Lahaina, we stopped at the Hard Rock and then to the Warren and Annabelle magic show. IT was a blast. Did appear to me that Wailea was VERY quiet in the evening once the sun set. Lahaina is definately the "happening" spot. Hope this helps. Have a great time!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Jennifer

Thanks for the info. That isn't too bad a drive as long as we go early and have the driver for the night lay off the alcohol for awhile before we head back. Any other suggestions for night spots in Wailea and/or Lahaina?

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Jennifer

By the way, Sherry, how did you like the Kea Lani?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:03 AM
sherrie

Jennifer: We liked the Kea Lani pretty much. I had been planning for soooo long that I might have expected a little too much. The hotel itself was really pretty and the room was nice but could have been a tad bit better (for the $$). Minor things like the carpet needed a good cleaning as did the sofa. Again, maybe I am too picky. I think you will enjoy it, as most of what I have read has been positive. We were also disappointed in Nick's for dinner (it was our anniversary). Much preferred Roy's in Kihei. If and when we go back, we'll probably give Kaanapali a try (and we are older than 35)! Best of luck to you.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Frank Stefanec

We were just in Wailea and the trip to Lahina took us 47 minutes. Coming back there was more traffic, and it was longer. Saw a sign on a restaurant in Wailea "open late 9pm" so that will give you an idea of the "nitelife." I think the Grand Wailea lobby bar closed at 10. Lahina is a lot more active.
We've stayed at both. Each has good and better points<g>. Both are beautiful. As for restaurants, we found no lack in Wailea. You'll find a Roy Yamaguchi's restaurant both in Kahana, which is north of Kaanapali and Lahina as well as in Keihi, which is 10 minutes north of Wailea. Also if you like sushi, Sansei's is in Keihi and in Kapalua. Spago's in located in the 4 Seasons. Marvelous service and food. Sits on the 2nd floor overlooking the ocean. Pacific Grill is on the first floor of the 4-seasons. we ate at Nick's in the KeaLani. Our favorite. Ate there 2x. Also the HumuHumu room at the GW. Plus many other restaurants in Keihi. There were a few others in Wailea. Longhi's is new, to complement the longstanding Longhi's in Lahina.
Hope this helps. Ask if you have any more specific questions.
Frank

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:20 PM
do

Nobody seems to be mentioning Tsunami Night Club in GW. I still see it on their web-site, does anybody know how long it stays open? When we were their a few years ago it stayed open late.
Spread the word, its to quiet for a club.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Jennifer

Thanks for the restaurant advice. We will certainly be eating out a lot on our vacation and it sounds like we'll have some great options. I would like to hear more about the bar/lounge options in Wailea if anyone has additional info about atmosphere, location, hours, etc. Did those who like to get a few drinks in the evening just do that earlier than back home? Or did you buy some of your own and take advantage of the lanai? Or did you just feel like you had to forego it if you didn't want a bit of a drive?