Reload this Page >

Disneyland vs. Disneyworld

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Donna

We would like to take our kids 10,9 & 7 to Disney. I would like to know thoughts on Disneyland & Disneyworld. Which has more to do, are the costs the same and which has more to do outside the theme park?

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Becky

First let me ask what month you are considering for travel. In my opinion, trying to enjoy outdoor things at theme parks would be torture with high temp/high humidity. In summer I would opt for CA. Low humidity-no rain! Plenty to do, believe me! Costs are relatively the same.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Dawn Ct.

I have been to both and there really is no comparison. Disneyland is basically the Magic Kingom of Disney World. Disney World has three other major theme parks. Epcot Center, MGM studios and Animal Kingdom. In addition to that, there are three water parks, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon and River Country. It would be hard to see Disney World in a week, it would be hard to spend more than two days in Disneyland. In the surrounding area of Disney World there are other attractions, Sea World is excellent and Universal Studios is essentially two theme parks, the studios with its attractions and Islands of Adventure. There may be height issues for your 7 year old at Universal however. I would suggestion that you pick up the Official Guide to Walt Disney World at your local library or call Disney World and ask for a vacation planning video so you can get a feel of the scope of things. Disney World encompasses 44 square miles.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Suzie

In February, California Adventure opened next to Disneyland so now there are 2 parks. California Adventure has been received differently though, some love some say one trip there is plenty others say don't bother. Haven't been, haven't been to WDW.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 01:22 PM
tom

Agree that there is simply *NO* comparison netween Disney World & Disneyland-DCA (even after the Calif Adv addition, which is somewhat cheezy by most accounts).

We go to Disney World for 10-12 days every year, and hardly ever go to Disneyland anymore, even though we live only 30 miles away from Disneyland-- last trip was 3 or 4 years ago.

Disney World is a far more "immersive" environment than is possible in Calif, especially so if you stay on-site in one of thr WDW hotels. As noted, the "World" is a vast, spread out destination resort -- lush landscaping & forests everywhere.

In the summer, no question it is hotter, more humid, & all around more "tropical" feeling in FL than in CA, but to us that makes for a more "exotic" and "vacation-ey" experience! In winter, FL and So CA compare favorably-- you are somewhat more likely to get rain, drizzle, and gray in CA during Jan & Feb.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 03:04 PM
jeanette

We have been to both Disneyworld and Disneyland. The new attraction Disney California is good for about a day, Disneyland for one day also. But there is Knottsberry Farms which is in BuenVista which my kids did enjoy more than Disney because the lines were shorter.There are other sites to see in Southern California too. Less heat!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 06:41 PM
xxx

Just for clarification purposes, Knott's Berry Farm is in Buena Park, California. There is also a relatively new water park that is also owned by Knott's.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 10:45 AM
John

One clarification, Disneyland is much better than the Magic Kingdom park at Disney World. Many of the rides that are at Disneyland are at different parks at Disney World. But you can get the same things roughly in So. Cal. that you can get at Disney World, except Epcot. Between Knotts, Universal Studios Tour, San Diego Wild Animal Park and Zoo, San Diego's Sea World, Magic Mountain, and various water parks and other attractions, you cover pretty much everything Orlando offers. For me it would come down to how much I wanted to see Epcot and which was closer.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Cindy

Just got back from Disneyland/Cal Adventure/Universal Hollywood. Did Disneyworld 2 years ago. Both visits in the middle of summer.

I think it depends on how much time you want to spend doing amusement parks and such. If you told me you only want to spend 4 days, and you're going in summer, then the decision is easy. Disneyland.

Yes, there is more Disney at Disneyworld, but how much Disney does one family really need anyway? The insufferable Florida weather really sapped the fun out of things in a hurry. I can't tell you how unspeakably hot it was, and I'm used to heat and humidity. Also, the lines were much, much worse at Disneyworld than Disneyland. Same for Universal Hollywood vs. Orlando. Also, Disneyland is physically smaller, which is easier on your feet. Bigger isn't always better.

If you have more than 4 days, then I'd use the time to skip down to San Diego. But frankly, 4 days of non-stop amusement parks is plenty for me.