Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How long have you been in the car without stopping to sleep?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 11:51 AM
dana

My friends told me they drove 32 hours straight-- from Atlanta to Maine. They have 2 small children under the age of 3. I don't know details yet but gosh, does that sound horrible!

The longest I have driven without stopping to sleep was 24 hours- from Colorado to Atlanta. It was not that fun.

Anyone else?

Dana

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 11:53 AM
dana

Let me clarify a little- I was one of 3 people sharing driving duties and it still was pretty sucky to be in the car that long.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 11:58 AM
pino

does it really take 32 hours to go from atlanta to maine??????

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Samantha

My husband and I drove straight through from Norfolk, VA to Escanaba, MI. It took us about 22 hours. The last 3 were torturous - we encountered fog (at night) in the U.P., in addition to having to dodge more deer than I've ever encountered in my life. It was *not* a fun way to end an already looooong drive! My head was buzzing by the time we got home!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:10 PM
H

I (female) drove by myself from Georgia to Green Bay, WI in rain and construction for just over 20 hours straight. I was going over the speed limit. No radio and 2 candybars for food. Needless to say, I was in a hurry to get to Green Bay.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Sue

Our family drove from Asheville, NC to Dallas last summer in just under 24 hours, with my husband and me taking turns behind the wheel. Our children are young, and get bored quickly in the car, so during car trips we have always tried to do most of our driving at night, so they sleep. On this trip, it was just too much driving all at once, and I'm convinced that I fell asleep behind the wheel at least once. Only for a moment, and nothing happened, but it scared me, and we don't drive through the night anymore for that reason. We did actually stop a few times at well lit gas stations, where we parked and got a little sleep, but we never stopped for more than half an hour. I don't think I'll ever forget standing outside my car in a gas station parking lot at 3AM in Middle-of-Nowhere, Arkansas, brushing my teeth!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Ellen

By "straight" I'm not sure if you mean not stopping to sleep or not stopping for any reason (other than gas). We have done numerous trips where we drove 20 hrs or more without stopping to sleep, but getting out t o walk around and eat. Notably, we have driven from Nashville to Niagra Falls (Canada side) and Nashville to Las Vegas. We have on many ocasion done the family trek to Disneyworld or South Florida (15-20hrs.) We usually split driving between me and hubby. I personally hate driving long distances, but hubby doesn't like to fly and it is cheaper for a family of 5!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Rebecca

We drove from Huntington Beach, CA to Seattle, WA in 22 hrs. We stopped only for gas and to go to the bathroom. We had five people that took turns, but wow...that is tough.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Don

32 hours? Sounds like a long time to travel from Atlanta to Maine.

Anyway, I've driven between Raleigh and Austin, TX (once each way) without stops other than gas and fast food. About 23 hours each trip, all by myself.

That was 15 years ago. I don't think I've driven more than maybe 10 hours straight by myself since then, nor do I expect to again--getting too old for that kind of stuff.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 02:45 PM
BuckeyeAlum

We used to drive non-stop from Ohio to Florida for spring break, only stopping long enough to get gas, switch drivers and grab a soda. Don't think I could handle it now. ;o)

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Cindy

Gee, you people are made of steel! Just took my longest car trip as an adult. Phoenix to LA, which is a mere 6.5 hours, kids in the back seat. Two drivers, frequent breaks, frequent quarrels. Never again.

Here's something for you bleary-eyed long distance drivers. On our return, I was driving, almost home and feeling fine, or so I thought. Looked up to see a full-sized sofa across the freeway lane next to us, with drivers swerving like mad not to hit it. I would have seen it earlier had I not been tired. So make sure you all take time for proper rest, cause you might not be as alert as you think.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Lui

This last weekend, I drove from Seattle to San Francisco and we drove nonstop, it took us 13 hours and If I had to drive alone-i probably would of fallen asleep at the wheel and I would of awaken up in heaven( hopefully). Luckily my wife was there to take over when I was ready to sleep. road-tripping can be fun but tedious also.-make sure to pack the music you like and be with interesting people.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Linda

Our personal best, in '89: 28 hours LA to SE Kansas (I-40)! Hubby did most of the driving (I spelled him for a couple of 2-4 hour naps). Had pukey 6-year old in back seat (he started puking/fevering at Universal Studios day before we left)which gave us incentive to high-tail it home. Hubby wouldn't even stop for a restaurant (sit-down!) supper - fast food and gas, and we were off again!

But it's a younger person's game.....we're too old to try that kind of thing now.....

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:38 PM
bill

Cindy-We were driving to Boyne, MI to go skiing after work one Friday night, and lo and behold in the middle of I-75, north of Graylling was a snowmobile! Just laying there! Sure woke us up after driving for 6 hours. Luckily we missed it. We called the State Patrol. Next exit we stopped for gas and the attendant told us it happens all the time up there. He said that snowmobilers don't secure their snowmobiles properly and they fall off of the trailers.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:39 PM
t

Drove back from Vancouver, Canada to San Diego straight through. There were two of us and we took turns sleeping. Only big problem was the heavy fog coming through the California Central Valley. We could barely see the tail-lights of any other drivers, not alone the road. Miserable and scary driving conditions.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:52 PM
SweatOnTheWheel

My personal long distance run was 1,385 miles in 22.5 hours. We've done two-driver trips of 18 hours or so. Thanks to constant fare sales and knowing the system, we fly essentially everywhere that involves any significant amount of distance now and we regard long-distance driving as far too dangerous.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 07:33 AM
sister in

Last May my brother & I drove from SF to Vegas in 13 hours, including a stop in Yosemite. Drank/gambled/slept for 12 hours in Vegas. Then hightailed it to Houston in 35 hours. We switched driving after each state. Ate donuts and bottled frapaccino. The car and us smelt so awful by the time we hit Van Horn the windows stayed down!
Absolutely the best and worst three days of my life!!!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 10:39 AM
kelly

32 hours-Milw WI to Phoenix AZ, just me and my mom... never again.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Ann

Atlanta to Portland, Maine, would take about 19 hours and 53 minutes, according to Mapquest. Guess your friends got in a night's sleep as well.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Mary

Gee, my grandchildren are three hours away and I almost always have to take a nap on the way. I just get too sleepy to drive without being a danger to myself and others.

I would welcome advice from you more wide-eyed people on how I can overcome this fault.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -