Reload this Page >

Disneyland post-9/11/2001

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 11:57 AM
Susan

Has anyone been to Disneyland since the tragedy? I noticed someone posted that the fireworks were cancelled during the first week. What else has changed? Increased security? Less crowds? We are planning on visiting next Sunday and I usually avoid the park on a weekend but I'm hoping early October is a light travel time. Anyone who has been there in the last two weeks and can offer some observations I'd appreciate it.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 12:00 PM
sss

Someone just posted a report on 9/30.
They said there were virtually no
lines. Maybe if you respond to their
post, you can get more specific info.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 12:17 PM
Susan

Someone posted a trip report dated 9/30? Sorry, I did a search on Disneyland in the California section and I don't see a trip report from 9/30. Can anyone else find it and top it for me? Thanks!

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 12:19 PM
sss

Oops, sorry Susan, it was a post
about Disneyworld in Florida (I
didn't read carefully)

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Terry

I have been to Disneyland and DCA twice since the tragedy. The week following crowds were definitely smaller, no lines. This past Sunday crowds seemed the same as this time last year. But noticed on entering the park that most were pass holders. The only security measure that I see is they are checking all bags and backpacks before entering both parks, it creates a little wait but not much.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 03:17 PM
Susan

Thanks Terry. Would you say that last Sundays crowds were light, moderate or heavy? I haven't been to Disneyland in October before. What was the longest you waited in line for a ride and did the fastpass thing work well? Last May we went on a Friday and had to wait in line for Minnie's house for almost 2 hours. It was painful! Any tips from a recent visitor would be appreciated.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 07:28 PM
lena

My husband and son are there right now with a large group and they said it's empty. They went to the boardwalk ESPN for dinner and it was very quiet - Saturday night - some said the parks were also very quiet. The prices are still high but it would be nice to not have any lines. It's sad what these terrorists have done. To impact so many areas of America. To keep people from going to Disney!!! I think we may be in more trouble than what's being shown on TV.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 09:34 PM
Julie

I may be the person whose post you read about the fireworks being cancelled... I was at both Disneyland and DCA on Saturday, September 15th. DCA was completely empty - walked right on all major rides with less than 5 minute waits. Disneyland was slightly more crowded (as expected), but still less crowded than a typical weekend. Lines for the "E ticket" rides ranged from about 10 to 45 minutes, but in my opinion fast passes are the only way to go. They work wonderfully!

As for security measures, as someone else posted, the only noticeable difference is a thorough bag-searching at the entrance. I am sure there are also many more non-uniformed security personnel than usual.

I have a pass so I'm not sure about this, but I thought I heard a rumor that they were allowing entrance to both parks on one ticket? That would be worth looking into.

Have fun!

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 07:01 AM
silvia

hy there - I'm from Austria - and I visited Disneyland, CA on the 09/12/01 -and there were hardly any lines and I must say it was great for us - but then I also thought it was because we visited DL during the week.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Terry

Hi Susan...the Sunday I went, crowds were about average for a Sunday in October. But as you have noticed others have been there and crowds have been lighter then normal. I don't think we waited more then 15 minutes in any line. But we had fast pass of Indiana Jones which is usually long and we don't ride without a fast pass and Splash Mountain had just opened when we got to it and that is usually a longer line.

We have some what of a system. Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, and Pirates of the Caribbean lines usually go fast. Indiana Jones, Slash Mountain, and Dumbo are usually the longer lines. If you have small ones and they want to ride Dumbo go there first that line is horrendous and doesn't offer the fast pass. At the end of Main Street on the left is a board that will tell you which rides are open/closed and how long the wait is for major rides. Tackle 2 rides at a time...have a fast pass for the one while you wait in the line for another.

California Adventures...go to Souring Over California first, if it's a busy day they will run out of fass passes early and I have seen the line be 90 min wait. You really should see this ride. The bigger roller coaster line goes fast. There is usually a line for the ferris wheel, but if you want to ride in the stationary gondolas there is a separate line for them up the exit. The little roller coaster is a trip. Any more questions e-mail me directly

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Susan

Thanks everyone for the informative replies. We went on Sunday (10/7) and it was noticably uncrowded. They are thoroughly checking bags which slows down the entrance line but, of course, it's worth it for peace of mind.

The fast pass thing is awesome -- didn't wait more than 15 minutes for anything except Dumbo. Let's hear it for fast pass for Dumbo!!! The gumbo in Orleans Square was delicious. My 8 year-old son loved Indie and my 7 year-old daughter's fave was Autopia. My vote always goes to the Pirates. Can't see us enjoying DCA as much.

Don't let the bad guys scare you away from Disneyland. It was a great way to have some fun together as a family in the wake of all this tragedy.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Susan

Topping for Lea.