Disney World or San Francisco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about going to Disneyworld or San Francisco for our anniversary in October. Which place would you recommend? We've been to Disney a few years ago and really enjoyed it a lot. Plus we have no kids.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:17 AM

Wow - those are a couple of very different vacations. Personally, I would choose SF, but it's not my vacation. What are you looking for in a vacation? What do you want to do?
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:45 AM

cupcake, we would need a lot more info about what you enjoy to make any recommendation. It's kind of like asking, Hawaii or Switzerland?
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:20 AM

SWITZERLAND!!!
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Go to San Francisco. I lived there for 7 years, have been away for for 12 years and recently went back for a visit last summer. It is an awesome city! Personally I wouldn't do anything Disney without my daughter as we get plenty of that during the year. My daughter loved San Francisco and said that I was lucky to have lived there. She's only 8, and knows a good thing when she sees it.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 10:31 AM
14VK8SHN

As J_Correa said, completely different types of vacation. You said you went to Disney a few years and really enjoyed it. You really must have had a good time if you are now trying to decide between the two. To me the logical choice would be SF.

Old Mar 19th, 2004, 12:01 PM

San Francisco is a great place for couples. Save Disney for kids if you have them. Definitely a romantic place for couples.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Dan

I also have to side with San Francisco but October is a very good time to visit Orlando weatherwise and (lack of) kidwise.

As others have said, this comparison is apples vs. oranges. Very different places but you can have fun in either.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Kal

I ate Swiss cheese in Hawaii once. That count?
You know what's brown and has holes in it? Ask MelissaHI. She knows all of my old jokes. :-"\

You really can't beat SF in Oct.
Since we don't like kids, I mean we don't have kids either so we pick SF over any "kid-themed" destination.

But back in the late 60s/early 70s I did see a lot of 5' tall mice in SF.
Now all I see are pink elephants.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:37 PM

San Francisco.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 08:56 PM
jor

Go to San Francisco. Its the real thing. Disney World is a fake.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Abi

I'd choose Disneyworld over SF. There's much more to do there. Sf has really lost sime of it's luster. It used to be such a nce place to visit, but in the past few years has become somewhat rundown, especially due to the homeless problem.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 12:20 AM
PJKeay

San Francisco for a few days and then come back via Los Angeles and do the magic Kingdom in Anaheim. Is this a compromise or the best of both worlds?

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 05:14 AM

I've been to San Francisco four times and WDW about seven times, so this may perhaps reveal my preference.

If you've never been to S.F., you might at least want to give it a try, but it is no way similar to WDW with regards to weather, shopping, restaurants, cleanliness, order, attractions, crime, et.al. -- WDW wins some of these and SF wins some....

Those here that call the WDW resort in Orlando a 'kids-only' place, however, have most likely never been there. My wife and I have visited there without kids on many occasions and have enjoyed their world class resort hotels, restaurants, golf, recreation, night life and entertainment without once feeling that we needed to be wearing little mouse ear hats on our heads. It truly is a magical place.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 05:55 AM

San Francisco and visit the Napa/Sonoma areas which are very beautiful in the fall with the grape leaves turning various colors.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:07 AM
SAB

I know I'm displaying my prejudice however do you like reality with all its beauty and all its warts or do like to see things through a filter? If the former SF, if the latter Disney. Disney is a controlled, manufactured environment, with no surprises except the designed ones. Many people like the comfort, safety, of such an environment, hence the popularity. Others do not, hence the question which only you can answer.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:20 AM

I would have to agree with gbhost. I live in SF, but have been to WDW in Orlando a number of times and I have always had a great time. It's true that we do have our problems here in SF with homelessness, dirty streets, etc.. I have spoken with people visiting SF who said that they have no plans to return until they clean it up. Hopefully our new major can do something about the problems here. Dodging cardboard condominiums and aggressive panhandlers is probably not the ideal way to spend a vacation.