36 Hours in Oakland - NYT Travel Article

Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
36 Hours in Oakland - NYT Travel Article

Here's a nice little article on Oakland from the NY Times.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/05/03...er=rss&emc=rss

Many visitors to the Bay Area never consider going there but Oakland does have its charms. I lived there in the late '60s and thought it a better place to live than San Francisco especially if you were on the hill and had a view. Of course, times have changed and Oakland isn't what it used to be.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:05 PM

I always recommended Oakland museum, currently on renovation or repairs, I think. 3 floors of information and fun.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:09 PM

for children, two of the most fun places in oakland are
the children's fairyland by lake merritt (walt disney used ideas from here to create disneyland) and the oakland zoo.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:40 PM

Rockridge neighborhood has great restaurants, including Oliveto http://www.oliveto.com/ definitely a walking neighborhood, and close to the Glen Rock BART station, if you are coming from San Francisco or SFO. If you have time and interest, you can easily walk to UC's Berkeley campus straight up College Avenue.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:19 PM

Abranz, I always took my daughter to the Oakland Fairyland, Oakland is where I was born and most of my family that didn't live in SF lived in Oakland. I had no idea that Walt Disney used the Oakland Fairyland to creat Disneyland. Lake Merritt was a spot we always went to also from the time I was a toddler, the walk around the lake, the band concerts, the 4th of July fireworks. And downtown Oakland use to be a vibrant place with all kinds of wonderful stores. Sadly you are right Otis, Oakland is not the city it use to be and it reminds me of that saying "you can't go home". I miss the Oakland I grew up in.

The NYT article you posted is a great article and quite interesting. They didn't mention it but anyone staying in San Francisco can catch the ferry to Oakland from San Francisco, the ferry dock is right behind the SF Ferry Building at the end of Market Street.