Reload this Page >

Disney World-Need Help Planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:05 PM
JD

My daughter and I will be vacationing this summer at Disney World. I could use some advise and help. Daughter is 6 years old and she is the shy type. We have booked the All-Star Movie Resort for 6 nights beginning Aug 25, 2002. Here are my questions:

1) Transportation to/from MCO? Is Mears the one? Do I need to reserve in advance or buy tix at the airport?
2) We’ve booked the standard room. Evenso, is there any particular unit or building that I should request?
3) We are on a low budget. However, I would like to take my daughter to some character dining. Perhaps 3 character breakfasts, and 2 character dinners. Any suggestions? I believe I should reserve in advance?
4) We are going to purchase the 5-day park hopper pass. I should also buy this in advance, right? We have no intention of going to the water park. Daughter does not enjoy any wild rides. Any suggestions as to what in particular we should not miss? Which park to visit first?
5) What about drinks and snacks? What is this refillable mugs that I read about?

I would value all input from you people out there. We’ve never been to Florida, and from what I’ve heard, this time of year is very hot and humid. However, this is the value season and school is out. Anyone kind enough to help me put this together would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JD

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:25 PM
x

Go to www.disboards.com. They will give you all the info you need.

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Alan

Hi, JD!

Can't help with all of these questions, but at least I'll start the ball rolling and get you back to the top. When we arrived at Orlando Airport, we had no trouble finding the shuttle to WDW (yes, it's Mears). There was a very conspicuous sign, and quite a few people going the same way. We didn't have a reservation... don't know if anyone else did.

We stayed at All-Star Broadway, but I would imagine the "rules" here would be the same as for Movies. There are rooms facing the pool, and rooms facing the car park. The car park is ugly. The pool area is pleasant.

If your daughter is the shy type, don't take her to "Alien Encounter". There is quite a lot about this ride in the Unofficial Guide to Disney World.

If I were choosing a park to visit first I would choose Epcot, because it's the biggest (see it before you're all worn out) and it has so many other attractions besides rides. You will probably need a second day in this park (whereas Disney-MGM can be done comfortably in a day --don't take her to Terror Tower either!--), so staggering the days for Epcot would seem a good idea.

If you are on a low budget, take as much food as you can into the Movies resort when you go in. There is plenty available at the resort eating areas, but it's mostly pretty terrible and the prices are astronomical (bananas $1.80 each.)

The only other advice I can give you is, go early in the morning. Whatever time they say the park opens, be at your bus stop an hour (at least) before. You will have to stand in a lot of queues right from the time you arrive at your bus stop. A guide book to help you learn your way around before you get there (plus to give you tips on which day of the week is less-crowded for which park) might be a good investment.

Now it's over to the people who go there annually for their advice! Good luck!

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Paige

When you reserve your room your package may include the Park Hopper Pass, ours did. When we checked in, the electronic room key had the park hopper encoded on it. It also served as a "credit card" for anything in the resort (billed to your room account). Not so dangerous with a six year old, but it was with a couple of teenagers! The refillable mugs are available in the food court at your hotel. Certainly a money saver for a week's stay. Buy one of the guide books. I liked Birmbaums (sp). I've never done the character meals but they are over priced with sub-par food from what I've heard. If your daughter is shy, is she not afraid of those dressed up characters? If you want character meals you definitely need advance reservations. I friend at work has a trip planned for the first of June. He had to get up two or three mornings in a row and start making the phone call to the reservation line before he could get a time reserved. Since you won't have a rental car, you will be pretty much stuck with the food options at WDW. Can't think of any good money savings tips for food.

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:32 AM
CJ

We loved Disney, but if your going in August plan on going back to the room for an afternoon nap. We did several character breakfasts, but or favorite was in MGM. We reserved the earliest we could and got there early. No one else was there yet and our kids spent about 30 minutes with the characters to themselves.

Old May 6th, 2002, 11:35 AM
CJ

Forgot ...Pick up an Unofficial Guide to Disney World. Don't try to follow thier exact plans, but it gives you a great deal of info.

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Angela

I worked at Disney for 2 summers, here are my suggesstions...

Great time of year to go, the parks will begin closing early during your trip though so plan wisely. Don't over work your kids, the best trips are happy ones and not with hot and stressed parents yelling at their kids. I suggest going early morning (especially if staying at a disney resort, you get in an hour early), working your way through the park and leaving off property for lunch. There is every and every resturant just off propoerty (a short walk from the marketplace), to fit any budget. Then, after a swim in the pool or a short nap, go back until dinner and enjoy yourselves!!!!

I have always had good luck with mears and I have always purchased in advance, although I don't know if this is neccessary. the ride will seem like forever but if you plan on staying at disney the whole time, it is worth it.

all-star mvies is the newest of the all-star resorts, they are all very standard rooms, nothing fancy but very practical. You will get the exact same thing at any of these rooms.

kids either love character breakfasts or hate them. you definitly need to plan in advance though. i like the winnie the pooh at the crystal palace for breakfast and chef mickey's at the contemporary for dinner. there are several others, but these are my most favorite. I don't think you can reserve until a certain amount of time in advance though, I would call and check.

The park hoppers are great, alowing you to come and go as you please to which ever resort, you can either get them now or wait, it doesn't really matter. I would check at your local disney store on the disney club card, chekc it out to see if it may be worth it. it sometimes has good discounts.

your child will probably love fantasyland, it has dumbo, pooh and all the character rides. Don't even try Alien Encounter, Splash Mountain or Space Mountain, she won't be tall enougha nd way too scary.

Animal Kingdom is amazing for kids. Studio and Epcot can be more for adults though, even though they do have things that are for kids.

I don't know where you are from but unless it is the south-east, Florida will seem really humid, so take it easy during the heat of the day. Drink plenty of water. When I worked there you could bring in snacks and so forth but remember they can be hindering climbing in and out of rides. Cups of water are free at any food stand. Snow cones are the cheapest thing in the parks, there is a stand right next to dumbo.

if on a tight budget, don't sweat it. you will see flashy fliers for cirque de soile and other outrageous performances but on a first visit, just have fun and see all the other stuff. One thing that is really fun is just to go on the bus and walk around all the resorts. Dixie Landings has a great food court, the wilderness lodge is really neat, ask the front desk about the hidden mickey tour there.

if you have any other questions please feel free to contact me!

Old May 6th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Sara

You have gotten good advice so far. It will be hot. You don't have to go back and take a nap. We were just there and went back to the hotel for a bit and went swimming instead. We felt wonderfully refreshed and didn't feel like we had 'wasted' any time sleeping (of course we aren't 6 yrs old either).

I think there might be a pass that does not include the water parks but I could be wrong. (Too bad you don't plan to go to any because the water parks are my favorite!)

Perhaps a way to save on food is to eat a big breakfast and early dinner, skip lunch. Take some granola bars, trail mix etc for snack but try and go as long as possible. Another option and this may not be possible at the All-Star resort is to upgrade. I know you are on a budget but the upgrade usually includes breakfast and an evening 'snack' that could certainly work for a meal most of the time. Just have to balance the cost of breakfasts every day and some dinners agains the upgrade cost. Again, I don't know if this is offered. Share your meals. Maybe get an appetizer and share the main meal.

We stayed at The Swan and the characters came in for pictures and autographs but it wasn't breakfast. Not sure how it was done but it was fun to see them without paying for food. We just lucked into being in the right place at the right time but others were waiting so it must have been common knowledge.

I would recommend buying all that you can in advance - then you have fewer worries when you get there.

I don't think I dealt with any of your questions but hope I helped a little. Have a wonderful time!!

Old May 6th, 2002, 02:21 PM
skip

If you are on a budget, skip the character breakfasts. Wait, let me rephrase that, unless you have money to burn, and don't mind getting very little value for your dollar, skip the character meals. Those character meals are a complete waste of money. There are plenty of opportunities to see the characters in the parks, and frankly overpaying for a mediocre meal is just foolish, IMO. Besides, there is now a "character caravan" which will come to your resort with the characters - for free.

Anyone who states they are on a low budget then says they want to do 5 character meals has got to be kidding. Even people who spend a fortune on Disney and have plenty of dough wouldn't go to 5 character meals. One maybe, but not five.

Old May 6th, 2002, 02:43 PM
randa

I totally agree with the above post.
If you're on a low budget, you SKIP the character meals! Maybe one - max. They're just too expensive. About meals, eat at the food court at the All Stars; they have kids meals, too. About snacks, bring your own if you can.
You can purchase a refillable mug for drinks at the food court at the All Stars. Cost is around $10. Then you can refill any time you want.

If I were you I'd start at Magic Kingdom and head straight to Fantasyland. Then Toontown Fair. These should get your daughter in the right mood for the rest of your stay.

Old May 6th, 2002, 03:05 PM
ilisa

THere are 2 shuttles at the airport to use -Mears and Transtar. You don't need advance reservations. At All-Star MOvies, Dalmations is the closest building to the main building. You may want to request that since at the end of the day you don't want to walk far. We stayed there and had no problems with noise. Our favorite character breakfast is at Crystal Palace with Pooh and Friends. If your daughter likes CInderella, you may want to try the character meal at the Castle. However, this is the most popular of all character meals, so you need to try to book it at least 60 days out. You say your daughter is shy. If so, don't try to force the characters on her. Refillable mugs are great. Once you get them, you can get unlimited refills on soda, juice and coffe at the All-Star food court. Considering that coffee and soda is about $2.80 apiece, the mug pays for itself in no time. It also makes agreat souvenir. We are leaving for WDW in 2 days (my 20th trip). I hope to

Old May 6th, 2002, 03:07 PM
ilisa

Oops, hit the button too soon. I was saying I hope to post a trip report when I return. One thing that you may want to do at World Showcase in Epcot. Purchase a passport at any country. Then as you visit each country, have a cast member write a greeting in his or her native language in the passport. Another nice souvenir.

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Carole

Mears is great for transportation to and from MCO. It may be pricey if you're on a budget, but it's very convenient!

I agree with the posts that say to skip the character meals. If you MUST do one, my family has always enjoyed the character lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern in Frontierland in the Magic Kingdom. Homestyle food (roast beef, mashed potatoes & gravy, mac & cheese, etc.)-- comfort food. You don't generally need to reserve in advance. I do recommend you go for lunch because prices increase for dinner (at least I think they do). Perfect time is during a parade -- most people are watching it, leaving you a somewhat empty restaurant. One final thought on meals: eat a good breakfast and fill up at lunch. Avoid dinner.

The 5-day park hopper is a good choice. Check to see if you can get a park hopper w/ meals. We've never done it that way, but I've heard that it's very cost-effective. Also, if you don't use all five days, you can return anytime, any year.

Get the refillable mugs. They're worth it!

Finally, my six year old loved Magic Kingdom & Animal Kingdom.

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Donna

One character meal is really enough. There are schedules available so you can find the characters in the parks. We have been to Minnie's at Polynesian several times. Just fair food but fun. Lots of characters at MGM We saw a lot in the square toward the back which was near Ariels little mermaid, not sure if its still there...Have fun. I agree with the swim for rest break...and don't forget lots of water...get there early and use the time tickets that you can buy to ride w/o wait...read the unofficial guide its great!

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:05 PM
dcp

1. Mears is fine - buy at airport
2. I've never stayed at that property but all WDW rooms are on the small side
3. Donna is right, one character breakfast is enough. The one at the Contemporary Hotel "Chef Mickey's" is about as good as we've been seen. It has Mickey, Minnie, Chip & Dale and usually one or two others.
4. Buy your park hopper at WDW.
5. Pay the 9.99 (approx.) for the refillable mug(s) at your hotel. They will pay for themselves in one day.
6. The best advice I can give anyone is to be at the Park(s) when they open! By doing so you can go on a lot of the popular rides before the real crowds show up around 10:00. By noon you can go back to your hotel, hit the pool and then go back to the park in the evening when the crowds have subsided a bit.
7. Enjoy!!

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Sara

Be sure to see the show "Festival of the Lion King" at Animal Kingdom. I saw it when I was there recently, and I thought that it was one of the best things at Disney World. It's a spectacular performance, with fabulous, colorful costumes, amazing acrobatics, performers flying overhead and dancing on tall stilts, and talented singers performing those wonderful and familiar songs from the movie; it also has audience participation. I was very impressed and enjoyed it thoroughly. It's performed in a large,covered theater that is partially open, but is cooled by big fans (maybe air conditioning too?) - so it's nice and comfortable, and is a good place to get out of the sun and heat in the middle of the day. Another thing you shouldn't miss in Animal Kingdom is "It's Tough to be a Bug" - very cute and funny.

At MGM, you and your daughter would probably enjoy the 3-D Muppet movie, it's a lot of fun. Be sure to see "Fantasmic", the spectacular stadium show they have at the end of the evening, starring Mickey.

At the Magic Kingdom, the SpectroMagic Parade they do at night is pretty amazing, try to catch that. "Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin", which is fairly new, is a lot of fun - your daughter would probably like the Winnie the Pooh ride , too. Be sure to take advantage of the Fast Pass program in all of the parks for the more popular rides.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Anna

Went to Disney in Oct of 2000 with three children. We also had the park hopper pass. The children's favorite park was Animal Kingdom. They also enjoyed MGM.

Old May 7th, 2002, 12:16 PM
jjj

Went to disney in january w/ our 4 year old (who is adventurous). I was going to take Mears but it only pays to buy a round trip and we only needed one way so we took a cab which was fine. Just compare the prices. Stayed at disney's carribean beach hotel which was more than fine. They have cups in the room which you can refill unlimited at the hotel food courts. We would go there for breakfast (its reasonable)and to see the characters (they come every other day) and then fill our cups and take them w/ us. They're great in the park b/c they keep stuff cold and you can order drinks without ice and get the ice in your special cup. we had a stroller so taking stuff was no problem. transportation to the park is easy with the bus system. Bring your own snacks because believe it or not, there aren't a tremendous amount of food choices in any park. Also, ask for a cup of water, they give you a big cup for free and it will be warm in June. Make sure you also plan a day to stay by your pool or visit one of the more elaborate pools at the higher end resorts. We went to an amazing character dinner at Epcot. It was a rotating (slowly) restaurant and the food was served family style. I hate breakfast and buffets so we really liked this one. The food was terrific and the characters spent alot of time with us. We saw Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale (my son's favorite). It wasn't ridiculously expensive for dinner, about the same price as a breakfast actually. You can call and reserve exactly 60 days in advance. They open at 7am so call right then, especially if you want Cinderella's castle (which you do w/ a 6 year old girl). We liked the Magic Kingdom the best but the shows at MGM are great and the fireworks/water display at epcot is the best. Have a great time!!!

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Cheryl

I live on Merritt Island (Space Center, Cocoa Beach area) and have an annual pass, so here are a few suggestions gleaned over my Disney years:
1. EPCOT is lovely, but it's geared to adults. Our 3-year-old grandson loves the aquarium in The Seas exhibit, plus it's great fun to ride the monorail around and get off at the various hotels for a look-see.
2. Animal Kingdom is great for kids, but make it a morning or late afternoon stop, since most of the animals snooze their way through the heat of the day and you won't see much.
The Safari ride is terrific - just make sure you get a Fast Pass. The show "It's Tough to be a Bug" is pretty good, but there are some potentially scary things that happen under your seat, so I wouldn't take her if she's easily frightened.
The character breakfast at, I think, Dinoland, is the best one I've been to.
You can ask to sit in the section that looks like one of those old Airstream travel trailers. I agree with the others - one is fine. I think they're like $16.95 apiece.
Definitely the Lion King show!
2. MGM has lots for kids - Mermaid, a live Bear in the Big Blue House, Beauty & the Beast show. My grandson even liked the Who Wants to be a Millionaire.
He specifically enjoyed pushing the voting buttons at his seat. It looks just like the NYC set, and it's really fun. But get a fast pass!
They also have little trailers around where the characters come out at set times and you can take photos.
Avoid the scary rides - Earthquake, Tower of Terror, etc.
For a nice ride, take the boat RT from MGM on its tour of the different hotels (Swan, Dolphin, Yacht&Beach, Boardwalk)- would probably take 40 minutes or so, but the boat has A/C and you can get a sightseeing rest.
The Muppet movie is delightful. There's also a playground made as if it's "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" that's worth a visit.
3. the Magic Kingdom is the place to be with your daughter, although it is extremely stroller-intensive. You might want to rent a stroller (lots of bigger kids ride in them)right at the park entrance - about $7.00 for the day, plus you can drop off and pick up another one in another park for no charge. Go to Mickey's "home" - in Toontown? You'll get a tour and an opportunity to meet the Mickster himself. I understand the teacup ride is closing. She might also like the Country Bear Jamboree - it's corny but fun. Really the best park for kids, but it's very, very crowded.
4. No place on the planet is hotter than Orlando in July and August, and the humidity is dreadful. Wear hats, cool clothing (no jeans), and walk slowly! They've never been real fussy about bringing food into the park, but they do inspect all packages and backpacks. Bring water, cool wipes, snacks she likes. There are kiosks where you can buy fresh fruit (Animal Kingdom specifically), so the diet doesn't have to be the $6.99 piece of chicken. Everyone will be cranky from the heat, so plan a cool activity for the afternoon - the pool, the nap, or even take a bus or boat to Downtown Disney - biggest Disney store in the world, Mickey D's for burgers, lots and lots to amuse you - plus you can duck into A/C at any time! They also have a Rainforest Cafe, which is pretty good. They have one of those squirty water areas and the kids love to see if they can outjump the spurts.
5. Dixie Landings has a nice food court (I have never been to any of the All-stars courts, so I can't compare).
Wilderness Lodge is fun to go look at, but the food is very costly.
6. You can probably get ParkHopper passes cheaper than at the gate. Try AAA, etc. Very few people pay full retail, so scout around. If you have any military connection, they're very inexpensive at a local travel office on a post or base.
7. Of course, you could always hop on a Mears bus (there are others)and come to Cocoa Beach!!
Enjoy your trip!
Cheryl

Old May 10th, 2002, 09:34 AM
JD

Hello everyone! A very sincere thank you for all your advise and info. I have not been online since I posted my question, and boy, did I get a shock when I checked my posting. I’ll have to take some time this weekend to digest and sort out the info. I had a quick glance through, and a few suggested Fast Pass. How do I get that? Is there an additional fee? Also, I would like to take my daughter to the Lion King. We saw Beauty & the Beast on Broadway in NY, and she absolutely loved it. Anyone know what price range I’m looking at for the Lion King (at WDW)? Yes, 5 character meals is crazy. I see your point there. Probably I’ll consider one character breakfast, and one character dinner.

Again, thank you guys for your input. I’ll reorganize my plan, and I’ll be in touch again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -