Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Disney World in October--which park first?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our direct flight of 2 hours will arrive in Orlando at 1:00. By the time we get our rental car, condo keys, etc... I'm guessing it will be close to 3:00 in the afternoon. What park should we check out first given the fact we only have part of the day to explore?

Our kids are 9 and 6 and it is their first trip to WDW. We are staying in a condo about 2 miles off Disney property. Our flight/condo rental cannot be changed. We are staying Saturday-Saturday.

Magic Kingdom is open latest that evening until 11:00. That would seem like an obvious choice. However, I have read and also heard from others that doing the Magic Kingdom right off the bat is not the best of ideas, that the other parks seem like a let down. If anyone has previous experience or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

I know I want to avoid Hollywood Studios the first day as that park has the Extra Magic Hours and I 've read the parks hosting those hours are extra busy.

Thank you fellow Fodorites.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM

If you are going to be there for a whole week, I would not try to do any park that day. Your kids are likely to be tired from the trip. If you really want some Disney the first nite, make an early dinner reservation at one of the Monorail resort restaurants. I would recommend O'Hana's at the Polynesian. After dinner, ride the Monorail for a little while. Then walk down to the beach at the Poly and check out the view of the Castle.

Also check out disboards.com for help in planning your trip.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM

I'm in agreement with scarboroughmom. They should be able to see the Water Light Parade (can anyone think of the name of it?) that goes around the lagoon from the Polynesian beach. It's a nice touch of Disney magic.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Don't bother with going to a park that day. Does your condo have a pool?
Relax and get ready for an early start the next day.

If you plan to go to Sea World then you could buy a one day ticket which gives you free entry another day in the same week so you spend the first afternoon checking out the park, see Shamu and return another day for a full day. Sea World is small and a lot can be accomplished in 3-4hours.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Oops in October Sea World probably closes around 6pm. Check times before you go.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM

The other parks will not be a let down. I wouldn't plan anything huge for that day. Maybe checkout Epcot, eat there and watch Illuminations.

Go to bed early on Saturday (your first night). We find the parks slowest on Sunday mornings. Get up early Sunday and take advantage of lighter crowds.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't stay off Disney Property. We have tried it twice and didn't like it at all. Both luxory and budget.

Do not miss going to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach. Those are probably are favorites. Our favorites in order are Waterpark, Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, MGM, Epcot.

Disney is great place and you kids will enjoy it. Hope you have a great time making good family memories.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input so far.

Yes, our condo has a nice pool, lagoon style, zero entry. I did kick around the idea of not doing any parks at all that first day. I guess the only thing that was prompting me to do so was the fact that a 6 day ticket is just a few dollars less ($5) than a 7 day ticket. We would only be saving about $20. I'm thinking it might be difficult for the kids to wait a whole extra day before going to a park. On the other hand, I don't want to be miserable with two tired, grouchy kids.

If I had it to do over I would have made our departing flight for Orlando Friday evening vs. Saturday morning. Oh well.

So, even if we skip the parks the 1st day, should we save Magic Kingdom until all other parks have been visited?
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:43 AM

I think you're choice will be between Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

I have brought my daughter (now almost 13) to Disney multiple times. I know that you don't want to go to Hollywood Studios that evening, but we only spend half a day there (definitely don't miss the fantasmic show while there). We only do the half day because we don't ride the thrill rides, and there are few other rides in this park (a lot of shows though).

Epcot does have a lot of territory to cover, but if your children are not interested in the world showcase, future world can be covered in an afternoon.

If you have park hopper passes you could do part of a park that evening (such as, just future world in Epcot or part of Animal Kingdom), and then go back and hit the other attractions you want to see on another morning or afternoon.

Keep in mind that you are going off-season, so crowds will be less. However, local traffic does pick up on the weekends (heaviest in Magic and Animal Kingdoms). Your decision will also rely heavily on your family's interests and must-sees.

Make sure you get up and get going first thing in the mornings. You are going to have a very busy trip because of the limited time you have for this visit. So you'll really need to give thought to what you absolutely must do.

Good Luck. I hope this has helped a little. October is a great time of year to vist Disney. We went in October two years ago, and had a great time.

Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:47 AM

No - with kids that age I would do Magic Kingdom first. Since you're getting a week's pass you can do quite a bit on your first (full) day - agree to spend the day you arrive settling in, getting organized, getting groceries and snacks etc. I would do something more active - since they'll have been cooped up most of the day - pool or water park.

And if you do Magic Kingdom the first day you can decided if you want to go back and do more things there - or redo certain things they really like.

Do realize that for Animal Kndgom you need to time your visit for when the animals are active - since there are large parts of the day they don;t do much.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Sorry, had a reading problem. I thought you were staying two days only.

With a whole week, I personally lounge around the pool the first night or head over to Downtown Disney to eat and get a little of the Disney "bug".
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

A friend just called me and I asked her about her trip to WDW in June. They had a ball, of course.

Her tip was to book a character meal ASAP if that was something we wanted to do. I really hadn't given it a lot of thought but she recommended the Chef Mickey character meal at the Contemporary. I called WDW and they have a 9:00 opening for dinner on our day of arrival. Maybe this would be a good option for us. That should leave ample time to settle in and take a swim. I also like the Downtown Disney idea.

We are skipping the water parks at Disney. We just returned from 3 nights at the Kalahari in Wisconsin Dells!

nytraveler--yes, we'll definitiely do AK early as that is when the animals are most active, at least that's what I've read!

Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Your kids will enjoy EPCOT if it is the first park you visit. If you visit the Magic Kingdom first, Epcot will be a letdown.

Enjoy your pool the afternoon you arrive, then head to Downtown Disney for the evening. Pace yourself.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Definately book asap on character meals. You are missing out on two of the best waterparks. If you find yourself with 1/2 an extra day, you would not regret going. With 6 days I would spend 1st day at Magic Kingdom, 1 day at Epcot, MGM, and Animal Kingdom each. This leaves an extra day for moe Magic Kingdom and even a waterpark. My sister n law just returned on a 6 day trip. This was her first time. She did both waterparks and did most every ride in all the parks. She said she had plenty of time. We have been twice in October. Once it wasn't busy at all, the other time was the busiest we had ever seen it.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM

This link might help you to decide which park to visit on which day of the week:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/wdwgu...daily_plan.htm

Also, before we went to Disney in Dec '07, I found a website that listed the crowd level by date by park on a scale of 1 - 10. It was free, unlike some websites where they charge you for this kind of information, but now I cannot remember the name. It might be this site, and they'll update it as October approaches:

http://www.touringplans.com/tp2/UG2_index.php?PageID=14
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 06:40 PM

touringplans.com is not free exactly. You can see the next years worth of crowd level predictions if you buy an inexpensive subscription to the site, (maybe $7.00/year), or buy the Unofficial Guide to WDW. It's a great site to help plan a trip. They have been doing these predictions for a while now and they are fairly accurate.
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 06:47 PM

You picked a great month - usually the best weather that time of year. Your children are at perfect ages for WDW. I think you will have a wonderful time, however you configure your days, and nights!
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 08:26 AM

I'm not hearing anyone ask you about the SpectroMagic Parade or Wishes Fireworks at the Magic Kingdom. Those two things are worth seeing and they're not offered every night. Since you're going in October, there will also be nights where the Magic Kingdom closes early because of the "Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Pary" which requires a special ticket - and the parade and/or fireworks probably will not be offered those nights either. Get on www.disneyworld.com and go to the calendar section to see which nights have SpectroMagic & Wishes - if they're offered your arrival night - and they probably are, since the park is open until 11PM - it might very well be worth going so that you don't have to worry about it for the rest of the trip.

Any day with SpectroMagic & Wishes will be a more crowded day at the Magic Kingdom. You can make your next Magic Kingdom visit on a less crowded day.

Do you have touring plans? We've used the touring plans from the Unofficial Guide to WDW, www.tourguidemike.com and we've received custom touring plans from www.buildabettermousetrip.com. A good touring plan can save a lot of time that would otherwise be wasted in long lines.

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM

S&G: Our family of 6 has travelled by plane to WDW a dozen times and what we have found works perfectly for us is to plan a relaxing afternoon/early evening at Downtown Disney.

You will get the Disney "bug" and be able to have a festive meal at any one of several restaurants and visit the huge Disney marketplace without wearing yourself out.

Trust me, you'll have TONS of park time and don't need to rush right into it. You will be better rested to start your first full day with lots of energy!
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Check the date first because in October they are running their Halloween event at the Magic Kingdom fairly often. That closes the park at 7 on those nights.

I would suggest you go to the one with late extra Magic Hours to maximize your time IF you are staying at a WDW hotel.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:38 AM

BTW, the new Toy Story ride is really fun. Which means you MUST get to the Hollywood studios park as soon as it opens as they will be out of FastPass by noon. The line this week was at least 80 minutes unless you went just a bit before closing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -