Disney World at Easter?

Search

Disney World at Easter?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disney World at Easter?

We're Florida lovers and have vacationed at many of the beautiful beaches. Although we've been to Disney 14 times in the past 17 years, my daughter and husband never tire of it. We've always gone in early June, but are considering Easter break this time. A few questions-
Is the weather generally warm enough to swim in late March-early April?
I know Disney will be busy, but HOW BAD is it? Hotels seem to be less booked for the first 5 days of break and busier toward the end-is this true? Appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 03:05 PM

Swimming - its depends on how warm you want the water. We were able to swim in the pools in March with no trouble - but then we're from NYC - and prefer not to be boiled alive n the water (FLA water in the summer is way too hot for me). And perhaps you will have a place with a heated pool.

Can't comment on Easter busyness - we were there two weeks after - and it was horrendous - I would assume it would be worse right after easter.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been there twice during Easter break and the crowds were HUGE!! It got busier as the week progressed. Mon. and Tues. weren't too bad, but from Wed. to Easter Sunday--WOW! The parks were packed. Notice, I said I went twice during Ester week, so it wasn't bad enough to keep me from doing it again!
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:27 AM

Here is a link to crowd levels:

http://allearsnet.com/pl/attend.htm

It is about what you would expect. LMF
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:13 AM

Why do people enjoy torturing themselves by traveling over Easter and all major holidays? I went to Disneyworld a while back in June and felt like I was going to suffocate from their being so many people.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:06 AM
GoTravel

Absolutely packed. Anyone who tells you this isn't true is incorrect. I've been both the week before Easter and the week after Easter and they were about the same.

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 04:37 AM

I never understood what "packed" meant, since we generally go off-season. However, we went to Calif Adventure one Saturday in April, and I had my "aha! " moment. During the entire day, even with using Fast Pass and Single Rider strategies, I went on TWO attractions. My kids did a bit better, as I offered to be Fast Pass line waiter, which turned out to be nearly an hour in itself in one case. Daughter got on four rides, and son did five. (She gave up on waiting for the fifth.) We definitely did not feel it was worth the money, and would never go during "busy" season again. However, you may have greater tolerance for waiting, or not care so much about getting on the rides per se, or perhaps the fact that it is a different park makes my answer irrelevent. Just thought you'd want to know.
If you do go, I'd suggest following the advice here and go earlier in the week. Also, as you probably know as a frequent visitor, get to your first park destination appx 45 min before the scheduled opening time. They usually open early, and the crowds will be much lighter before noon.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 08:47 AM

I went to Disney for Easter because it was the only week our family was out of school. Horrendous. Waits of 90 minutes for rides which take 10 minute waits in other months.
The crowds were so big, they closed the parks by 11 am because they were full. Some guests had prepaid tickets but couldn't get in until the next day.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 10:05 AM

The one good thing is, they keep the parks open later during the Easter break.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the helpful replies. We usually go in June because I am a teacher, so it's either holidays or summer. We leave for Florida as soon as school is out and the crowds really aren't that bad. I assumed the crowds would be bad at Easter, but at least the waiting wouldn't be as uncomfortable as in June. Does the "Fast Pass" work at Easter, or is it also a long wait?
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:20 AM

Fast Pass works, but the return time on the ticket is WAY later than the time you obtain it. You may go to Test Track at 9:00 AM and get a Fast Pass and the return time could be 4:00 PM. Just get there early and do a lot before the crowds get bad. You can take a break during the day and then go back at night since the parks are open late.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:27 AM

Went to Disney over Easter week last year. I agree with Schmerl, the "Fast Pass" times were so far in the future that the feature didn't make any sense. Do stay on site. The parks were so crowded that they closed to off-site visitors very early as pilgrim said. Fortunately we stayed on site, but the bus transportation system was also mobbed and seemingly took forever to get around. Due to the crowds, everything is mobbed, for example, difficult to get into restaurants, shows were impossible to attend. Easter this year is in March; swimming might be iffy and I doubt the water parks will be open. Check the Disney website for their calendars to be sure.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:42 AM

we just returned from a Disney visit and were amazed at the crowds, even off peak.
It seems that the dollars weakness against the Euro and pound have made it much more attractive to European visitors whose school holidays are different from the US. The "off peak" season is not as quiet.
Also the lower prices for tickets (the"Magic Your Way") program seems to be increasing sales dramatically.
Have a great trip whenever you go!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:57 AM

We've gone for many years the week after Easter and haven't had a problem.
Its the only time we can go with our kids so we go when we can go.
Yes its crowded but its always been great. We do however plan alot, go to the parks early and stay late. We also use fastpass ALL the time, from the minute we arrive.

Yes its crowded but it hasn't been unbearable.
Maybe its better the week after Easter as opposed the week before?
We've always felt like we did it all and certainly had a great time!
I would suggest scouring the forums at DISBOARDS.com and MOUSESAVERS.com, as you'll find many others who also enjoy going at Easter break.
You'll have fun regardless when you go!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:01 AM

Also check the above mentioned sites for much better ticket prices than the new Magic Your Way. There are definitely other options available that will save you money.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, wanderluster! At this point, we have to decide between Easter and mid-July (sizzle!). I really expected to see more responses like yours. My Easter break begins on Good Friday and continues the week after Easter, so we would be there from Easter Sunday through the folowing week-end. It seemed like many have Easter break the week before Easter.
The thing is-I would like to know if July crowds are about the same as Easter crowds. If so, not a big deal to me, as we've experienced the June and July crowds.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:58 PM
GoTravel

The crowds are worse at Easter but you have heavy crowds and the heat of hell in July.

It's a toss up. I think I'd brave July.

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:04 PM

I'm from Massachusetts and our spring vacation is April 16-24, not over Easter. Do more states have their "spring break" over Easter and therefore the crowds would be bigger over Easter or is it just all the way through April that it will be crowded? Does anyone know? I would be tempted to go in April without huge crowds. We've been talking about spending a few days at Universal as well. Is that just as bad as Disney for crowds? Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help! In the end, we let our teen daughter make the choice, as it really didn't matter one way or the other to us. She chose Easter break. Her reasoning was that after we go to Mexico in June, she'll have had enough of the intense heat. Also, my DH reminded me of the summer we went to Florida (always go to beach for part of the time and Disney for part) and ended up only going to water parks because it was SOOOO HOT!
To GoTravel: I've read many of your previous posts and trust you opinion. We're going to stay at the Dolphin the first part of the trip ($169 teacher's rate) and the other part at a Universal on-site hotel. You made me smile with you July weather description "the heat of hell"!
How right you are!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 04:36 PM

summer04,
I am in the same situation as you. I am a school counselor and can only travel during the busy vacation times. I too have split stays between the Dolphin and on site Universal hotels. I recommend going to WDW first, because the FOTL at Universal will spoil you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -