Disney with a teen

Feb 1st, 2002, 09:59 PM
Eileen

Disney with a teen

We are taking our teen daughter to Disney World at Easter time. Is there a nice value priced hotel in the area that does NOT cater particularly to the kids under 12 crowd? Should I stay at a hotel with shuttle service? Do the crowds thin out at all in the late afternoon? We've never been to Disney and haven't any inside info. Thanks

Feb 1st, 2002, 10:22 PM
Brandi

Any of the hotels in that area would work, a teenager would certainly like the Disneyland Hotel. There are also hotels like the Ramada, Quality Inn, ect... I have heard wonderful comments about the Crowne Plaza, which is a moderate property, but new with a great atmosphere. Pretty much all have pools and shuttles if you stay within a few miles. The Annabella is good too.

The crowds thin a little in the late afternoon, but during a holiday you won't notice it thinning out alot. The new Disney California Theme park is geared more towards teenagers, but is a separate entrance fee unless you by a multi-day pass before you head down, then entrance to both parks is included. There are great package deals that will do your air, hotel, passes, the works for you. Or if you are driving, you can still package hotel and passes.

You can view a hotel comparison at http://www.tvlconn.com. Click on California, then Anaheim.

Hope this helps..
Brandi

Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:19 AM
Gail

Eileen,
You did say Disney WORLD, not Disney LAND right? That would mean Orlando, FL. I have been there twice at Easter and the crowds have gotten worse in afternoon. We got there when the gates opened and did what we wanted and then went back to the hotel to enjoy the pool. Then we'd go back to the parks in the evening.Expect crowds all day during Easter time. For a lot of great info, go to www.disboards.com

Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:49 AM
Kelly

The value-priced Disney All-Star resorts don't necessarily cater to young children; they are for families on a budget. They are beautifully themed, sparking clean and well worth the money. The rooms are on the small side, but they have great food courts and the buses run continuously. When we stayed there last we saw more teens and young adults than children. You just can't beat the convenience of staying on WDW property.

Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:55 AM
Teresa

Eileen,
We'll be in Orlando this summer with our 10 and 13 year olds and are leaning towards the Hard Rock Hotel on Universal Studios property. It's not value priced but we're willing to skip a lunch or breakfast out every day to have a nicer room...I know a lot of people say "But you just sleep there"--we don't agree but each to his/her own. I don't know that much about the Hard Rock other than what I've read on this and other forums--sounds like a fun place for teens and adults. Anyone else know more about the Hard Rock??

Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:03 AM
Beth2

The above replies have brought a question to my mind. Which value-priced hotel on DisneyWorld property has the best pool area for afternoons? Is there one with fun water slides, or neat atmosphere that would be particularly appealing to teens?

Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:37 AM
Brandi

LOL! Whoops, sorry about that, I just saw disney. Guess I was up too late last night..
Brandi

Feb 2nd, 2002, 01:25 PM
Gail

Teresa,
About the Hard Rock Hotel. It's GREAT!!
If you have the Entertainment Book you should call the hotel and see if the Entertainment rate is available for the dates you're going. There are several ways to get discounts at the Hard Rock. Try to get a Universal Fan Club card from your employer--they give discounts for that. I hope you are planning on going to Universal and Islands of ADventure. I actually like IOA better than WDW parks. By staying at the HRH you will get automatic express line access all day for the attractions at Universal/Islands of Adventure. There is a LOT of info at www.disboards.com
Just scroll down to the Universal message board.

Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:14 PM
Teresa

Gail,
Thanks for the tips--I'll start checking them all out. Is there a certain room area of the hotel to request--would a room near the pool be asking too much of my earplugs at night? Ha--now I know I'm getting old when music bugs me at night in hotels!! Oh well, the 10 and 13 year olds will love it and that's why we're going to Orlando in the first place. My 40th b-day's in August and we're planning on a 'grown-ups-only trip' to Vegas so this one's for the kids! Again, thanks for your help.

Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:51 PM
Gail

Teresa,
There is always music playing at the HRH, but it's not really intrusive. We were there without children and loved it. The pool is open pretty late. We had a garden view room, but I doubt if the pool noise travels up to the rooms. They even have an under water sound system. Your children will just love this place and so will you. Make sure you go in the ladies room in the lobby.

Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:47 AM
topper

ttt

Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:51 PM
Eileen

Thank you, everyone for your help. After reading the replies, we went ahead and made reservations at the Hard Rock. We were surprised that we have to pay for parking at the hotel, and some say they nickel and dime you constantly with extra fees....but still we are looking forward to a great time.

Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:21 PM
kelly

Eileen, I'm surprised that you're staying at the Hardrock. Your original post indicated you were looking for a VALUE-PRICED hotel in the area, and the Hard Rock is hardly that. Next time you post, don't specify what price of hotel you're looking for if you don't really mean it!

Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:00 PM
Elaine

I don't think you could have made a better choice of where to stay with a teen. Even though the price is more than you originally wanted, I'm sure it'll be worth it! The hotel, grounds, and Islands of Adventure are spectacular!

Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:00 PM
Eileen

Elaine,
Thanks for the reply. You are right...although it is more than we orginally planned to spend...we do believe it will be worth it. We were so busy looking at Disney properties that we would not have even known Hard Rock existed without a posting on travel talk. Thanks again.

Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:05 PM
Teresa

Eileen,

I'll be anxious to hear a trip report after your Hard Rock stay. Have a wonderful time!!

Feb 4th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Gail

Eileen,
You and your daughter will love the Hard Rock Hotel. I certainly hope you are planning on going to the Universal parks since you can just walk there from HRH and will have all day express access to the attractions. If you go to www.universalorlando.com they are offering some specials on park tickets.

Feb 4th, 2002, 03:52 AM
tt

ttt

Feb 4th, 2002, 05:10 AM
nina

I think you'll love the Hard Rock Hotel too, and for the money, you really are getting a value. The same level hotel at WDW would be twice the price. In fact, the Entertainment rate makes it cost less than the Disney moderates and just slightly more than the All-Stars! Believe me, the HRH is head and shoulders above any of those hotels. The music didn't bother me at all.

I agree with Gail, it's worth every penny and a fabulous hotel. We'll be there and at the Disney Swan in 5 more weeks!

Feb 4th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Eileen

Gail,
I was quoted a price of $95 a person for one day at IOA and one day at Universal. But staying at the HRH I can actually have priority guest status for 3 days at the park even tho I am only staying 2 nights. So I looked on the website you suggested but I only get a blank screen for "online tickets". Perhaps cause I will be there Easter time I won't get any discounts anyway?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO