Disney Polynesian worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a 3 day trip (driving) w. 4 yr old and 1 yr old and it sounds like, for convenience, we should stay on Disney property. Polynesian sounds good, but some reviews indicate it's not as nice as it should be for the price. Not willing to sacrifice comfort for convenience. Has anyone stayed there recently? How were staff/rooms? Is there a better location to ask for when booking?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:34 PM

The Polynesian is one of the older Disney hotels. The rooms are large and very adequate. Being right on the lake and the monorail, all the transportation you'll need is right there. You are within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom and there are a couple of good restaurants at the Polynesian. I don't know how much it costs these days, but I ate at the Kona Cafe on the property last month and still enjoyed the Polynesian theme. You can certainly get more inexpensive housing at Disney but the location won't be as good.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:50 PM

My family (husband, daughter 13, son 12) just got back from a week at the Polynesian and so far it is my favorite! We have stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and the Wilderness Lodge (conceirge level - is that what it's called?). The convenience of the monorail was wonderful. I requested a newly remodeled room and a room on the upper floor. From what I was told, all rooms have been recently remodeled. We were put in Tahiti and, for us, since we ate every night in Epcot, it was a great location because we just had a short walk to the transportation center and a direct monorail to Epcot. The two days we went to Magic Kingdom, we took the monorail out of the Ceremonial House. Personally, I thought our room was bigger than our suite at the Wilderness. I just plain enjoyed this trip more because I wasn't waiting for buses or taking a 30-50 minute bus ride one way to the parks. In fact, only once did we have an issue with the bus when we were coming back from Animal Kingdom. I think we waited a good 30-40 minutes for it, but otherwise, when we went to AK and Hollywood Studios, the buses were prompt (not at the Wilderness when we were there).

The grounds are gorgeous at the Polynesian. Your kids will enjoy the pool. We watched the fireworks and "water" parade from the shores of the Polynesian. Really the best location!

I didn't make reservations at the Ohana restaurant before we left, and I wasn't able to get one while we were there, but people raved about the food. We did eat breakfast twice at the Kona Cafe and it was good. My daughter and I ate dinner there once and we each had a steak. It was excellent.

We were there during spring break time, and probably the only drawback was the inability to get a chair at the pool. We headed back from the parks around 2:00 p.m. and by then the pool was swamped. Fortunately, my kids are old enough that I went and sat in the hammocks on the beach and they went swimming. I would assume it isn't always that packed.

While I think all of the Disney deluxe resorts are expensive, I rationalize that you are paying for convenience, and clearly for us, it was well worth it since we have a comparison with previous vacations!

Have a great trip! We really had a wonderful time at Disney.

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 03:37 AM

We love the Polynesian! We have stayed there our most recent two trips (2005 and 2006) and are planning to stay there next trip as well. The grounds are beautiful. The atmosphere puts you right in a relaxed vacation mode.
The pool is fun. There is a beach-type walk in at one end that would be perfect for your 1yo to be able to stand on own and splash. Our kids love the slide (note that you cannot take 4yo down on your lap for safety reasons but he/she could go down with swimmies or a swim vest w/ you waiting to catch at bottom). There is a sandy beach with chairs/hammocks - no swimming in the lake, but the kids can dig in the sand. There are also fountains in a small area for the kids to run through (next to the pool).
We also have stayed in the Tahiti building. After the first visit we have requested it, as have my parents. A short walk to everywhere: TTC for the Epcot monorail, Great Ceremonial House for shopping and monorail to MK, pool/beach.
You can't beat the location of the Polynesian. Good places to get food and cute shops too. The rooms are comfy and have always been clean. We have always encountered pleasant cast members there as well. We have stayed at all three monorail resorts and this is our favorite.
Have fun!
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:26 AM

We stayed there in Sept and thought it was perfect for us (our kids are 5 and 3). It was recently renovated (although I've heard from others who stayed there that their room wasn't renovated -- so maybe you should check when you book that you are getting a renovated room). We also stayed in Tahiti. The room was spacious, big bathroom, nicely furnished. We were upgraded to a lagoon view room on check-in.

We thought the staff was very helpful and the location is pefect. It is on the monorail and also walking distance (certain houses) to the ticketing/transportation center. The lobby house is beautiful and there are 3 restaurants -- a counter service, Kona Cafe and O'Hana's. There is also a Kona coffee kiosk that sells bagels, muffins, and delicious coffee in the morning. The pool area is one of the best for kids with a zero entry area, a cool water slide, etc. There is a poolside bar.

I think when your kids are as young as yours are, it pays to be on the monorail -- we came back to the room for naps/swim in the afternoon and then headed out, refreshed, for dinner.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:38 PM

Polynesian is my second favorite for Disney. Grand Floridian is hard to beat and is our favorite. You can certainly stay at either one and still enjoy dining a meal or two at the other one. The Kona Coffee stand is good @ the Poly. For ease and comfort, staying onsite with the monorail is the only way to go. Especially with younger children. Do be prepared to walk less than 1/4 mile to your room after getting off of monorail. You are thinking right to consider asking for a certain room, in order to be closer to lobby/staging area for monorail. We had a couple of meals in the poly and were very happy with them.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback! I booked the Polynesian (requesting Tahiti) and we're really looking forward to our stay. Now to see if we can make reservations for breakfast w. some princesses! If we don't meet Snow White....
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 05:37 AM

You won't be sorry with the Polynesian. You will appreciate the monorail when one or both kids wants a nap.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 05:38 AM

You won't be sorry with the Polynesian. You will appreciate the monorail when one or both kids wants a nap. You can see a lot on the waterway just outside the hotel. They have a boat parade there in the evening.