Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Disney is in WHAT city - geographically?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I saw this question some years ago
on this forum. Am unable to find it, though. I forgot the answer.

DisneyWorld is in what city's limits?

Are they considered as being in:
Kissimmee, Orlando, Lake Buena Vista or other?

I remember reading an article in an Orlando paper also where there was politics involved, but again, I forgot the response. Anyone know for sure please? Thanks!
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 01:18 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_World

Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake.

Most of the discount hotels are in Kissimmee.

Orlando is north.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM

WDW is out in the middle of what was "nowhere". The surrounding cities have spread toward Disney. I traveled there to perform with a group in the early 70's and the bus drove through what seemed like miles of orange groves.

All of a sudden, there was a security gate and we were at the service entrance of Disney.

The underground of WDW is as amazing as the Magic Kingdom. An entire city built underground to support the entire operation. We were given a tour - and it was just absolutely amazing.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 01:24 PM

They have their own zip codes, fire dept, police, etc...it is its own little world....
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Amy, Disney World is not in any incorporated city. It's definitely NOT in Orlando as many people think - it's in the Reedy Creek Improvement District. The RCID was set up through a special act of the Legislature back in the late 60's. (Mickey money talks! ;-) ) It is government by and for Disney World. As such, they can make their own planning and zoning laws, building codes, etc. and are exempt from many state laws.

http://www.rcid.org/
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Lady, daughter and oldest (of 7) grandchild are there as we speak.
Amazing, by her feedback.
M
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 03:08 PM
TheWeasel

For curiosity's sake, why does it matter? Are you just curious, or did the one of those cities ban you from entering?

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Why do you care why it matters if you don't seem to care by your question?
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I was attempting to explain to a family member who will be visiting there from California. Everyone seems to think it is in Orlando, and I knew for a fact it wasn't. I just was unable to locate the proper information to guide them with their query. Thanks again to everyone who was kind enough to respond with positive feedback and a response to my question.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 04:05 PM
TheWeasel

<Why do you care why it matters if you don't seem to care by your question?>

I was curious, nothing more, nothing less. Is that a crime?

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 04:57 PM

If your family is here from California, I feel sure they will fly into ORLANDO, as that is where the airport is. Then they will head South West of Orlando to the wonderful world of Disney. It is on the outskirts of Kissimmee. Many of the tourist that come to visit Disney never see the REAL Orlando. We have a beautiful clean downtown area, many parks, lakes, rivers, springs and water activities abound. There is so much more to see and do in the Orlando area than Disney and the touristy shopping area.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Weasel, I'll see to it that you
aren't prosecuted. LOL

Author: TheWeasel
Date: 02/10/2007, 08:05 pm

<Why do you care why it matters if you don't seem to care by your question?>

I was curious, nothing more, nothing less. Is that a crime?
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 02:08 AM

It is a particuliar nuisance for me as someone who has guest accommodations just north of downtown Orlando. They think I am next door to the attractions. I have to explain, no Disney is not really in Orlando but is SW from there.....frustrating really, but the posters are correct that money talked when it all was planned.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 02:55 AM

I recall reading that when DW was being planned, Walt insisted that Florida give Disney the full powers of a municipality so as to regulate what got built and where.

He was trying to avoid what happened outside the gates of Disneyland. If you've been there, you know what I mean.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 02:57 AM

I recall reading that when DW was being planned, Walt insisted that Florida give Disney the full powers of a municipality so as to regulate what got built and where. Also, as a municipality, it has the right to have signs ("DisneyWorld 5 miles") on the state and federal highways.

He was trying to avoid what happened outside the gates of Disneyland. If you've been there, you know what I mean.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

I can understand what residents of Orlando mean. That is exactly why I was trying to explain to our family members that Orlando is just the closest largest city to WDW. I advised that it is NOT in Kissimmee, nor Orlando. It makes it frustrating for those who live in Orlando because when the city is mentioned, everyone says, OH WALT DISNEYWORLD. And they think it is your neighbor. LOL
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Read the wikipedia link above. It really is interesting reading. I knew a bit about it, but loved reading the details. Walt was so disgusted with the surroundings of Disneyland that he bought a ton of land out "in the middle of nowhere" - enough land to ensure he could do all he wanted to do - and he made sure he had things set up so he would be in control.

I loved the trivia - naming one of the many companies buying up smaller packets of land "AyeFour" for I4 What a guy. What an imagination - and what business savvy to execute the whole thing.

When we went in 73, we stayed in an old fashioned motor lodge in Kissimmee.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:40 PM

What get frustrated? If not for Disneyworld, few people will know about Orlando, let alone visit it.

You'll get conversations like:

"Where do you live?"
"Ocala, Florida".
"Okay".

Is that better?

[Okay, maybe I exaggerate a little.]
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 02:09 AM

I'd rather not be associated with Disney! I am in the"real" and very beautiful Florida. SHHHHH...don't tell anyone how gorgeous and historic our area is!
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

I don't know why they get frustrated, but like you said, "it's no big deal". I'd say St. Augustine or Palm Beach. LOL