Discounted Broadway Tickets

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 07:18 PM
P.Nyer

Discounted Broadway Tickets

Hi, I am a first time Fodors poster. The family is going to NYC for the very first time and we would like to see a Broadway show. 1. How/ where/ when can I buy discounted Broadway tickets? 2. What shows that are currently playing are being discounted? We have a 13 yr old and so do not want a show that is too risque. Thank you.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 09:00 PM
jbj

www.playbill.com

join their club and they will email you once a week with ticket information on discounted shows.

There is also a ticket booth near Times Square that your hotel can direct you to. You stand in line all morning to get last minute tickets for shows that have lots of empty seats, at a deep discount.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 10:11 PM
bibi

The theater development fund operated the discounrt 'TKTS Booth' in Times Square and also a new booth downtown at the South St. Seaport. Check out
www.tkts.com

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Howard

The discount TKTS offers tickets usually at half-price plus a service charge (either $2.50 or $3 per ticket) for same-day performance tickets.
They go on sale at 10 a.m. for matinees and 3 p.m. for evening performances. It's best to get in line about an hour before the booths open.
Some of the shows that'll definitely be up there include Les Miserables, Chicago (which you might find too "risque" for your 13-year-older), Into the Woods and, possibly, The Phantom of the Opera and Beauty and the Beast.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Patsy

We logged onto www.playbill.com and "joined" the club - minimal information required, no fee. Once you're a memeber, you have access to discounted tickets to a variety of shows. When you are ready to buy your tickets, you'll just need the code which is shown with the discount information - you can order in person at the theatre box office (bring a printout of the discount page) or by phone. If you order by phone, tickets will be mailed to your home within a couple of days.

We opted for two shows through Playbill.com so that we would have tickets to those shows for sure; during our week in NY we'll go to the TKTS booth and see what's available on other day.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Amy

If you stand in line at the 47th St half price ticket outlet, you will need cash...no credit cards....good to know before you take that route for tickets.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Theatrebuff

The line at the Tkts booth in times square actually moved quite fast. When you are selecting your seats, try to go for CENTRE of the house rather than LEFT OR RIGHT. My experience with Broadway shows is that it is better to be higher up (even top of balcony) than off too far to the sides.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:22 PM
ann

Just returned from NYC. We bought full price tickets for Mamma Mia ahead of time because they're usually sold out. We loved it! My daughter ended up getting half price tickets the next day for Chicago - again really loved the play. My husband then joined her on Sunday morning at the TCKTS booth for half price to Aida. They joined the line about 15 minutes after the booth opened and got decent tickets. Just had to wait in line for 1 to 1-1/2 hrs but they thought it was well worth it. I joined playbill.com before our visit and received their mailings but didn't take advantage of it because the plan wasn't to see so many plays. They do offer some good discounts also.