Reload this Page >

discount outlets nyc vs orlando

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:31 AM
M

I'm going to be NY & Florida for my honeymoon & the wife to be is very excited about the discount shopping outlets shes heard so much about(she assures me that she's more excited that's it's our honeymoon).

We'll be in NY 1st, so where's better?

Any particlar places in each location we should go to?

just to confirm it's fashion clothing rather than home appliances etc she was after....

M

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:50 AM
bad start

Does she really want to discount shop on your honeymoon and of all the combiations of states, why NY and Florida?

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:14 AM
lisa

I think you'll have to tell us where in NY and where in FL you'll be.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:52 AM
M

sorry guys, forget how big the US is compared to the UK.

We'll be in New York City for 3 days & Orlando for 7 days in late April, early May.

Thanks

PS - Don't worry about her shopping all the time - that's why i'm trying to find out which is better out of the 2, so we only go to the best.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Merilee

Woodbury Commons in Central Valley, New York is easily accessible by (non-stop) bus from Port Authority on 42nd Street or 181st Street...it's about an hour and a half north of the city...some of the stores are Saks Fifth Avenue, Neimann Marcus, Gap, Banana Republic, J Crew, Esprit, Ann Taylor, Donna Karan, Levis, Betsey Johnson, just to name a few and there's a food court to sit down and eat and take a break.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 10:28 AM
hamlet

Closer to NYC than Woodbury is Jersey Gardens, a big outlet mall in Elizabeth NJ (which is near Newark). They have Off 5th (Saks), Last Call Neimann Marcus, Cohoes, Marshall's, Daffy's.... and lots of other stores, but not as wide a selection of company owned "designer" outlets. Check out jerseygardens.com for details. Individual outlets are also scattered throughout Secaucus NJ, also near NYC. Both locations are accessible by public transportation from NYC.

Personally, I don't think outlets offer such great deals, but that's another subject all together.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Janie

If I were you. I'd save the outlet shopping for Florida and do more unique shopping in NYC. The beloved Century 21 store in lower Manhattan (across the street from "Ground Zero") is expected to reopen by then, It is a great discount store that is set up more like a department store than a shabby discount store. Also we have small chains like Daffy's, Loehman's, Filene's basement that may or may not be familiar to you . Another only in NYC type of shopping is sample sales where occasionally you can buy directly from manufacturers and designers wholesale showrooms--look for details on newyork.citysearch.com or www.lazarshopping.com (they're usually listed a week or two before the dates of the sale).
I've been to and enjoy the oulets mentioned, but keep in mind that it's over an hour to Woodbury Common, about a half hour-45 min to Jersey Gardens by public transportation. If you'll have a car in Orlando, that might be easier and you can save your 3 short days in NY for sightseeing mixed in with shopping. Unless there are specific designers who only have a store at one place rather than the other, the bigger outlet malls across the US are pretty much the same. Look at www.outletbound.com for a detailed map and directory of outlets and a voucher for discount coupon books you can get at some of them.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:29 PM
M

sorry guys, forget how big the US is compared to the UK.

We'll be in New York City for 3 days & Orlando for 7 days in late April, early May.

Thanks

PS - Don't worry about her shopping all the time - that's why i'm trying to find out which is better out of the 2, so we only go to the best.

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 09:07 AM
CF

For heavens sake know the basic retail price of what you want to buy before you go to the outlet malls. We were at a few this past year and they had a lot of merchandise that was overpriced. Like housewares that were twice the price of WalMart etc.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Chris

Orlando outlets (especially beltz on int'l drive) are NOOOOO bargain! Your better off going to reading,pa outlets. Best deals I have ever found outlet shopping

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Joy in Virginia

Here is url for Disney outlet stores in Orlando faq on the unofficial WDW guide site: http://wdwig.com/cware.htm
Premier Outlet mall on Vineland is smaller but has a nice variety of shops. Also be sure to window-shop at the Downtown Disney area - not discounts but you can find some reasonably priced items if you look in the sotres there. Go by the Lego store just to see the decorations - all sculpted out of Legos!