UK visitors to Montana,Wyoming/Colorado

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Joan

UK visitors to Montana,Wyoming/Colorado

We are frequent and enthusiastic visitors to the USA, this year we have 3 weeks and the vacation we have dreamed of includes Mo/Wy/Co. As we will be driving, we need to know what weather conditions we might expect if we started in Denver and did a round trip commencing beginning of May heading North. Tell us please about interesting, must see, places in all 3 states. We expect to cover around 3k miles. Is this feasible?
Many thanks to you all.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:59 AM
xxx

If you've dreamed of this vacation you must have SOME idea about what you want to see and do....why are you asking others to tell you? If you've chosen a destination, you must have had a reason to do so. Why do you want to visit these areas? Perhaps if you provide more information, posters can help you. Your questions are vague and very broad.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 11:05 AM
cd

We lived in Montana 39 yrs ago and have not been back since but what I remember as being lovely is Glacier National Park and the "Going To The Sun" highway! Just beautiful. I remember having to stop the car for a bear to cross!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 11:12 AM
travellyn

Your plan is very feasible if you don't try to cover much of Colorado, but stay north of Denver for most of the trip. If you can make the trip as late as possible in the Spring, you'll have a better chance of getting into some high country. It often stays snowed in until mid-June and beyond.

I can't speak much to Montana. In terms of northern Colorado and Wyoming, "don't misses" for my family are pretty much the same as everyone else's (with one or two exceptions). They include:
- Rocky Mountain National Park. (Staying a few days at Grand Lake on the west side would be really relaxing, but I don't know if Trail Ridge Road will be open then.)
- The Snowy Range Mountains just west of Laramie in Wyoming, and the hot springs in Centennial.
- the Wind River Range in Wyoming
- Yellowstone National Park
- Grand Teton National Park
- The Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, Wyoming
- Attending at least one chuckwagon dinner / cowboy music show somewhere along the way
- Glacier National Park

This is rather heavy on the sightseeing, and mountains, but well worth it. Any hiking you can do will make it even better. At the tourist information stops at state borders, they can give you advice on interesting things to do along the way. (That's how we learned about the Snowy Mountains.) Ask rangers at the National Parks for advice on good walks, views, etc, and make sure that you attend a few ranger talks at the Parks.

If you rent an RV, or are outdoor types and can camp, your options are much greater in terms of stops along the way. Otherwise, make reservations at the national parks. Have fun. What a great trip!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 11:14 AM
arjay

May in the high country is still courting snow, I think. I think you'd be better off if you made your circle starting to the south.

3,000 miles in 3 weeks seems like kind of a lot - but on the other hand, a lot of those western miles are just 'pounding' to get from one spot to another. If you don't mind dedicating a couple of your days to pure driving, you'll probably be able to make it work.

Yellowstone Park for sure, right? And
Rocky Mtn National Park, north of Denver is a highlight...If you go to Colorado Springs, the Garden of the Gods is worth an afternoon's exploration. And you might want to search out Phantom Creek Canyon Rd. (thru or to the town of Victor), but ONLY if you are very comfortable driving US-style and the weather forecast is good. (It's one lane, twisty-turny, but a wonderful drive)

Flaming Gorge in the southern corner of Wyoming is very scenic and enjoyable.

(Sorry your first response here was such a rude one).

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 11:39 AM
connie

We make a loop from north texas to the Canadian border of Montana every summer in two weeks so YES, it can be done.

Colorado--
The Durango, Silverton, Durango, Montrose (Black Canyon), Telluride, Cortez loop in southwest CO, is the best part of the state. Do the Durango/Silverton train one way and a bus back. It is fabulous but makes a long day if you do both ways on the train.
I also agree with Colorado Springs and Rocky Mountain National Park.

Wyoming
Jackson/Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Beartooth Highway from northeast entrance to Red Lodge, MT (a MUST SEE drive)

Montana
Glacier National Park
Go on over the border into Waterton also.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Dave

Joan,

I would encourage you to delay your trip several weeks if possible. Some of the best mountain roads might not be open until the end of May, although this seems to be a pretty mild winter and I'm no expert. Still, it would be a shame to miss out on Trail Ridge Road, the Beartooth Highway, or Going-to-the-Sun Road because they haven't been plowed yet when you're there.

3000 miles in three weeks should be no problem. On major highways in the western states speed limits are often 75mph, traffic is sparse, and much of the terrain is open, flat and easy to cross quickly. That leaves you more time to savour the places you really want to see.

If you plan to focus on the major National Parks, You can get from Denver to Rocky (Estes Park) in a couple hours. From Rocky to Jackson, WY is one LONG day (500 miles, about 9 hours driving plus stops), so you might want to break it up. From Teton NP to Yellowstone is negligible. From Yellowstone to Glacier is around 9 hours plus stops. Whether you break up the longer trips or not, you'll still have plenty of time to relax, hike, explore or whatever.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Joan

Very many thanks for the speedy and comprehensive responses thus far. It's what we have come to expect from our US friends.

We have indeed thought about our forthcoming trip for a long time and have bought the books and accessed the web sites, but, as with our recent trip to Arizona, we would never have known about the most beautiful and haunting place North of Wickenburg, had we not spoken to kind locals who said, 'don't miss'. This was the Shrine of St Joseph of the Mountains....truly heartstopping and memorable.
Right, so the roads could still be tricky and the weather chilly. Who cares...the US still has the best hospitality, scenery and roads in the world.
We will be there. Any further suggestions welcome. Missoula was a must for me...what do folk think?
Best wishes all.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 12:12 PM
connie

Missoula is just a town like any other--nothing to go out of your way for. And it would be out of your way. From Yellowstone, I would go through Livingston and Great Falls--not Missoula--to get to Glacier.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Joann

Don't miss Flathead Lake in Montana. It will be on your way from Missoula to Glacier National Park. The water may be cold, but the scenery is beautiful. You can stay in Polson, Big Fork, Lakeside, or even Kalsipell. May might be too early to rent jetskies and boats, I'd check out some websites. There are rentals and cruises out of Polson, also Lakeside I believe. You won't regret looking into crystal clear water. There is also river rafting on the Flathead River near Polson.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 12:50 PM
John

Joan, let me suggest an alternative start to your route - go northeast from Denver to Badlands National Park in South Dakota, then head west through the Black Hills (see Wild Bill Hickock and Calamity Jane's graves in Deadwood); Mt. Rushmore is close by and worth the detour. Western South Dakota is fabulous and I think under-appreciated by both US and overseas visitors.

Then head west across Wyoming for Yellowstone and the Tetons (detour to see the Custer Battlefield National Monument in SE Montana if time permits.) At Yellowstone my recommendation would be West Yellowstone as a good base - plan your touring of the high country based on "real time" road reports, etc.

North from Yellowstone, try not to miss Helena, Montana's capital city - stroll on Last Chance Gulch, the main drag, check out the wonderful Victorian era houses...lots of history and things to see. Travel to Butte and stare down into the vast open pit mine. Then return to Denver via Rocky Mt. NP and/or all the other places mentioned above.

3K Mi. in three weeks isn't that hard in this big country. Just don't forget to stop and smell the sagebrush or the lodgepole pines.

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 02:43 PM
tom

In Montana I suggest: The road between Cooke City and Red Lodge Montana, sometimes known as the Beartooth Highway, is one of the most spectacularly scenic roads in the country, if not the world. If it is open for the season during your trip do not miss this. I also recommend staying in Butte, Montana. This is formerly "the richest hill on earth" an old copper mining town that time has passed by. See the Mining Museum and walk around uptown Butte for interesting historical buildings and sights. (One of the highlights of my trip to Montana was a stay in a bed and breakfast in Butte called, I think, Scott's. It is in a historic building; they have a website that gives you some idea. There are other similar places in Butte I believe.) If you go north to Glacier Nat'l Park (which I think is worth visiting) I suggest you take the Swan Valley road, going through Seeley Lake and Holland Lake. On Holland Lake there is an old lodge that is very much "old Montana". Not fancy, but comfortable and has lots of local flavor and a beautiful setting on a lake. This is a place where you can get a little bit away from it all. (If you like hiking, there are some good hikes in the nearby Bob Marshall Wilderness Area.)I also think a visit to a "ghost town" is interesting. There are many in Montana ranging from Virginia City, which has been developed as a tourist attraction, to others which are pretty much abandoned and which see only a vew visitors a day. If you are interested in this, your choice of what town to visit might depend on your route. (One not too far from Missoula is Garnet.)

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 08:07 PM
arjay

Back again -- don't have the atlas in front of me --(just mis-typed it "atlast"...and isn't that the truth!)--but if it works for you, I'd second the "western South Dakota" suggestion. The "Black Hills" are...badly named; so much more beautiful...and higher...than the name conveys. Spearfish Canyon Drive is also neat....