Directions to Moab from SLC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be driving from Salt Lake City to Moab in early Sept. I see an easy looking but longer Interstate route 15 and 70 and a shorter but perhaps more trecherous route 6 and 191. Which do you experienced Fodorites recommend? How long do you think it should take. We have reservations in Moab so that isn't a worry but we want to get there before dark. Thanks for any ideas!
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 03:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I did this drive last May and it took about 4 - 4.5 hours.

We went south on Rt 15 just next to the airport until just before Spanish Fork.

Then we went southeast on Rt 6, east on Rt 70 and south on Rt 163/191.

It goes right by Arches and into Moab.

We got there about 5:30 and took the Delicate Arch hike before checking into our motel.

It was not a difficult drive at all. It was a week day and we were driving in mid-afternoon. The traffic wasn't heavy either.

Just a pleasant afternoon's drive. We even stopped to pick up some food and take some pictures.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 07:07 PM

If time isn't to big a factor you might consider stopping @ Goblin Valley on the way. I haven't seen it yet, but it is on my list of places to see on my next Utah trip.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know the Route 191 stetch? It looks like 52 miles with no towns in sight? Gas stations? Same for road to Hanksville. But Goblin Valley I hadn't heard of before. We might do it as the pictures fascinate! Any other experiences from Salt Lake City?
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 08:06 AM

We went from Moab to Capitol Reef so decided at the last minute to stop in Goblin Valley for an hour or two late in the day.

It's about 15-20 minutes off the main road.

It was a fun hour. If you've been to Devil's Garden Escalente (not to be confused with Devil's Garden in Arches) Goblin Valley is a children's version and Devil's Garden is more grown up. They look much the same but Goblin structures are smaller and easier to climb all over.

I don't remember the 191 portion but nothing seemed to be a problem. If you think there may not be gas station you can fill up before getting there.

We stopped along the previous segment for some food and to fill up.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 12:40 PM

Do just what Myer suggests regarding the route. Especially pretty between Spanish Forks and Price. Plenty of services there and 60 miles later at Green River on I-70. Not treacherous at all, unless the driver goes way too fast. I like the entire ride for the diverse scenery it offers. You don't go anywhere near Hanksville. There is NO reason to go there.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for reply. It sounds like the red skinny line road on the map is more scenic and not difficult. That is exactly what I needed to hear. I am so ready to leave Wisconsin's cold weather and get into heat and sunshine!
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM

Not sure how adventurous you are, but www.deserthighlights.com is probably my all time favorite activity in any National Park. Even tops rafting the Grand Canyon. It isn't all that expensive and it isn't all that hard. If you don't go with them I would do a Ranger tour through Fiery Furnace. Have you been to any of Southern Utah before? Moab/area is just great. so much to do at all levels.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Yikes! Canyoneering seems a little much for my 67 yr. old husband (or me) but Fiery Furnace is on my "must do" list. Yes, we have been to other parks in Utah before and loved the experience. But we didn't hike all that much, so this time I am planning more of the gentle hikes.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM

When we signed up for Fiery Furnace last year they showed up pictures of what to expect. They also asked what type of shoes we had.

Actually, the hardest part was squeezing thru some of the areas where the rock just went straight up and at the bottom it wasn't a shoe's width. We sort of had to walk with one shoe on each side. Not difficult but interesting. That hike was great!!