Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dinner in Savannah with children - where to go?

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We like to do a little side trip to Savannah each summer during our week on Hilton Head. One year we went to Mrs Wilkes for lunch - LOVED IT!! Last year we went to Lady & Sons for dinner - thought it was good, but not great. Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for a place for dinner again this year. We have two children (3 & 5 years old) so nothing too elegant. I definitely prefer a place that has local influences. What do you think? I see Pink House recommended in the forum often, but wasn't sure if it is appropriate w/the little ones?
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 01:22 PM

While it's not a classic along the 'Pink House' lines, I really enjoyed Tubby's on my last Savannah sojurn - it would be good for kids.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:27 PM

The Pirate house and athe food is pretty good
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Well, Vinnie Van Go Go's in City Market is the first place that comes to mind. GREAT pizza - and cheap.

Just about any place along River Street or in City Market would be kid-friendly. I think the Pink House, or other white linen tablecloth places, will be a bit "too elegant" based on your comments.

The Pirate House has been a draw for kids for years, but I haven't heard any good comments about it for years.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

I've seen some not-so-kind comments about Pirate House as well, so that makes me a little leary.

Just to clarify, we would be making the drive to Savannah JUST for a great dinner. We've been before and done tours, so the point of the journey will be for a great meal. I say that because we aren't just looking for a decent place to grab a bite (we can do that on Hilton Head). I guess if there isn't any place really special that we haven't tried, we'd prefer to just return during the day for Mrs Wilkes.

We've taken our kids to many "nice" restaurants and they know to behave and use their restaurant voices. I just don't want a spot that is really elegant where people speak in hushed tones. Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 09:59 AM

If you eat early - and based on what you say about your children's behavior in nice restaurants - then drive over for a dinner at the Pink House or Garibaldi's (my favorites) or Bistro Savannah.

Call ahead for reservations and book as early in the evening and all should be well.

But, if you are just driving over for a dinner and don't want to do the Pink House or similar, I'd make Plan B. Gottliebs and Elizabeth's are fancier (IMHO of course)
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:19 AM

You can eat downstairs in the tavern at the Pink House (I actually prefer it to the more formal upstairs area). Go a little early before it gets too crowded.