Dinner in San Antonio

Search

Dinner in San Antonio

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinner in San Antonio

Going to be in San Antonio for two nights at the end of the month. Planning on seeing the Alamo, Riverwalk etc.... We are only going to be there for 2 nights.... One night we would love to get a great dinner (tex mex or mexican).....

If you had 1 night in San Antonio and could dine anywhere..... where would it be and why.... Price isn't that big of an issue.... Just want a great dinner, preferably "romantic" for two.....

Thanks again

J
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 05:25 PM

In the first paragraph, you said "great dinner (tex mex or mexican)" and in the second you said "great dinner, preferably "romantic" for two". So which is it, tex mex/mexican, or romantic, because I think the two a pretty much mutually exclusive!
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Biga on the Banks is very good!
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help - SF.... I have actually been in some very nice... romantic... Mexican influenced retaurants in California that could be both "Mexican" and Romantic.... Ever been to Las Brisas in Laguna.... Oooooooh so nice!!

J
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 08:05 AM

Jim, I think our definitions differ! (Yes, I have to Las Brisas in Laguna, and I would NOT consider it a romantic place to dine). That's what makes horse races!
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 08:15 AM

My favorite Tex Mex is Rosario's which is downtown but it is NOT romantic. Usually pretty loud due to the acoustics. We are not huge on "romantic Mexican food" but I would say leaning that way would be Paloma Blanca

http://www.palomablanca.net/main/index.asp

or La Hacienda:

http://www.lhdlb.com/

La Hacienda is far from downtown and not worth the drive in my opinion but it does have nicer ambience than most Mexican food restaurants in town.

At their request, we've taken clients to El Mirador, which is also downtown:

http://www.elmiradorrestaurant.com/
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 08:18 AM

Jim, I agree with Tracey that Biga is a good restaurant,but I wouldn't call it "romantic".In fact I don't know that I would call any of them in that area romantic.I would suggest that you go about 8 minutes west of the river and eat at a huge restaurant in Market Square called Mi Tierra. It is a very unique Mexican food restaurant, and is pretty good.Since the area and the restaurant are fun, I think that would help make it a romantic evening. Then taxi or walk back to the river area and sip margaritas overlooking the river. BTW, my fav restaurant in S.A. is Paesano's.Not the one on the river(if its even still there),but the one just east of the Quarry shopping center.It is about a 15 minute drive from downtown area. Are you going to be in S.A. on halloween or in Austin?I bet 6th St. and S.Congress will be lots of fun then.I assume that Austin is still in your plans?
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 05:01 AM

Jim, if you haven't left on your trip yet, here is another thought. I just read in the magazine "Gourmet" about a restaurant that might fit your needs for romantic dining. Recently the river walk was extended to a new area up to the old Pearl Brewery. I don't think the Brewery rennovation into retail/restaurants is finished yet, but a noted chef just opened an Italian restaurant there called Il Sogno. He also owns one of the finer restaurants in town - La Reve. While of course not knowing what this restaurant looks like or how good it is, I would bet that it would be a very good choice. However, I still like my previous rec of Mi Tierra better, just because it is more "San Antonio". But definitely doesn't fill your "romantic" factor.