DINNER ATTIRE IN CHARLESTON RESTAURANTS

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that you've so kindly provided a wide array of fine/interesting restaurants in Charleston, I have one last request. What is the recommended attire for gentlemen dining in the genteel city of Charleston? Obviously, a tie and jacket or suit is required at Pennisula Grill, but please advise on Fulton Five and 39 Rue de Jean. I believe that G&m, Poogan's Porch and Bloosom Cafe will be casual. UNFORTUNATELY, so many areas, ours included (Berkshires in Massachusetts) have relaxed the dress codes to accommodate casual "weekenders" and tourists, that one must indeed inquire. Thanks for your input.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 12:37 PM

There are very few places in Charleston which require a jacket for men, despite the fact that there is an inordinate wealth of nice restaurants for a city that size. Since Charleston caters to tourists, and since dress is becoming generally more casual with each passing year, you'll find quite a range of dress at places like FF, Blossoms and Carolina's and Anson and McCrady's etc.
Many men will wear dress slacks and a sweater or dress shirt (sans coat/tie) depending on season, but you'll also find a few very casual people at these places.
If you are people who like to dress up, by all means do so. If you like to be casual, you won't be prevented from enjoying a meal, except at places like Pen Grill and Circa 1886.
Even the Charleston Grill doesn't require a jacket.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 12:58 PM
GoTravel

I don't know of any restaurant in Charleston that requires a jacket because it's too hot in the summer.

My husband calls this dressing Island Casual. Golf shirt, flat front khakis, jacket, loafers no socks.

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Agreed. NO jacket, no tie, and in the summer, most places will allow gentlemen in shorts. My dad has a summer vacation uniform of bermuda shorts, golf shirt and Rockport tennis shoes!