Dinner at the Met (NYC trip report)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from an enjoyable NY overnight, I want to thank all those who gave us suggestions for an after-midnight restaurant near Lincoln Center and report on what we actually did. Our Metropolitan Opera tickets for the 7 to midnight performance of Les Troyens arrived with a number to call about dining at the Restaurant on the Vilar Grand Tier, either before the performance or during intermissions. We decided on intermissions and faxed our menu choices and credit card info to them. At the first intermission, our appetizer/main course selections were ready and waiting on our table, directly under the yellow and blue Chagall! At the second intermission, we returned to the same table, ready this time with dessert and coffee, and our credit card receipt. Even with the remarkable service, we were a little rushed to finish so quickly, but it was a memorable experience and delicious food nevertheless. After the performance, we went across the street to find a place for a nightcap. Josephina’s was closing, but Fiorello’s was open until 2 am, so we stayed till then, for wine and beer and snacks. We will plan on returning another time for dinner there.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Dinner at the Met, continued. We stayed at the Empire Hotel, which is as close to Lincoln Center as you can be. Double rooms are small, with tiny bathrooms, but they were clean and comfortable for $169 plus tax. The hotel is also relatively easy to reach by car, and they have valet parking once you arrive. It’s an unbeatable choice, IMO, if something at Lincoln Center is the reason for your NY trip. Early Sunday morning, I was up for a walk to Central Park, where snowdrops are blooming in Strawberry Fields and all the West Side doggies were out for their walks. We had breakfast at the Luxembourg on 7th near Amsterdam, a tiny little place with good food and very friendly staff, then back to the Empire and home to Pennsylvania with lovely memories of another great NY visit.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 04:51 AM

Sounds like a perfect weekend!
I am happy for you that the weather was so good too.
Was the opera great?
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 07:28 AM

Thanks for your report. There's a number missing from the Cafe Luxembourg location - they're on 70th and Amsterdam. I've only gone for dinner there - I never knew they served breakfast!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

I'm glad you caught that missing 0, Patty. The Luxembourg on 70th is an easy walk from Lincoln Center and a great dinner place, too, but it's open for all 3 meals. Scarlett, the opera was really good considering that it was 5 hours long! I'm an opera lover, but that's a stretch for me. My husband's cousin was singing (chorus), so that's why we chose this performance. It's been sold out, though, so lots of people obviously like it. The dinner in stages was a good thing for such a long performance. I might do just dessert or just appetizers during a 3-hour opera, and do the rest of dinner before or after.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 05:50 PM

Your weekend sounds perfect. After the opera the upscale Mexican restaurant, Rosa ??? right around the corner from the Empire (downtown, West side) has great food, fab bar, more action. Try it next time. We also saw Les Troyens.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 06:03 PM

Rosa Mexicana, yummmmmmm~