NYC "mini-trip" trip report

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC "mini-trip" trip report

Here's the deal - my GF was in town for three days on business and I live in north Jersey just outside Manhattan. She invited me to stay with her at the hotel - I did my work remotely from the hotel room and Starbucks (I do enjoy the flexibility of my job!).

Found a garage on 43rd St between 10th and 11th Ave - it's secured indoor parking and open 24 hours - it's REALLY easy to get to the Lincoln Tunnel exit when leaving. $16 incl all taxes for 24 hours and cab ride to the Novotel at 52nd and 7th was $4 with tip.

Hotel - lovely lobby area about six floors up and the room was spotless. Large functional bathroom and quiet as a tomb on the 32nd floor. Bed and pillows good, as was service - furniture just a trifle dated but fine. She paid $179 per night. All activities were post work-day.

Day 1 - coffee at the Times Square Cafe in atrium of AMC movie theatre on 42nd Street. They serve a thermal french press pot w/two large mug/cup full's of excellent coffee. Stick to house blend or mocha java - turnover is slow on the other varieties and they may not be fresh (I asked as I'm a fussy coffee consumer). $3 for the pot, $1 share charge and a tip. Great movie at AMC - my favorite theatre in NYC. Shared abanana split at $6 or $7. Niice light Italian menu and for tourist joint the food looked decent but haven't eaten meal there.

So cold that we opted for dinner at Victor's Cafe next to the hotel. Upscale Cuban restaurant that has been there for 40 years. Good service, nice atmosphere and excellent food. Black bean soup at $5 or $6 for the bowl was pricey but outstanding. The GF's chicken based soup with veggies and noodles was a bit on the bland side. She opted for a Caesar salad - generous at about $8 and I ordered a traditional entree w/shredded skirt steak sauteed with orange and other flavors an servded with salad greens, fried onions, ripe plantaion and rice. It was about $17-$18 - wish I could recall the name but it was terrific. I like this place and will return.

Day 2 - early dinner at Delta Grill on 9th Ave in the 40's. Shared an $8 appetizer that had blackened portobello mushrooms, grilled shrimp and cheese grits. It was wonderful - would be good as an entree in larger portion size. GF was not hungry so I ordered a small salad and a bowl of seafood gumbo to share. Gumbo was not as spicy as we like but decent and a very generous bowl at $10. Served in a metal pot - gave us a serving spoon and two bowls to share. Total was about $40 with tax and tip and a nice meal - sat by the fireplace which helped with the bone-chilling cold of early January. Wandered by TKTS and decided to see Urinetown: The Musical (her birthday treat - taking me to a show of my choice). Great front row mezzxanine seats at $45 each but not a great show. The story line was cute despite the dumb title and there were some good comic moments, especially a send-up of one of the classic scenes from Les Mis. Our complaint was that miking was bad and much spoken and sung dialogue was difficult to understand. Compounding the problem is the fact that there wasn'[t one really good singer in the entire cast. Neither of us is that picky, nor are we theatre snobs (I only go a couple times each year). It's just that there was not one really notable or outstanding voice in the cast that we heard. Can't really recommend this show until those issues are resolved (if ever).

That's it - short but fun and back to the grindstone on Day 3.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:14 PM

Thanks for posting a detailed report, Owen, but I believe you missed one important detail -- the name of the hotel! What was it?
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Oops... it was the Novotel at 52nd and 8th. Gallagher's Steak House is also next door adjacent to Victor's. I had lunch there last winter and they were running a $20.02 lunch special. if they're offering something like that this year it's a great deal and could easily replace dinner, as were huge (and the fodd was actually quite good). I believe it included starter (soup, app or salad), entree with side and dessert with coffee or tea.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:37 PM

sluggo,
I think it was the Novotel on 52nd & 7th
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:12 PM

Thanks, Owen. Great report--making me twitchy to get to the City again. Too bad the weather's been so frigid--NY can be TRULY great (it's plain great anytime) when the temp is from the 40s through the 70s...
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:27 PM

Owen, As always, great to hear a report from you. I have added your coffee comments to my NYC notes! Thanks for posting.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

I stand corrrected...again! It was in fact 52nd and 7th, not 52nd and 8th.

Bookhall - you're so right about the weather. It was brutal enough when I was there with this week I was in the city twice for business and the wind was nearly unbearable. Can't wait for it to warm up!

Margie - You're more than welcome. By the way... if you're a fan of coffee and cappuccino, I'll appreciate feedback on a project I just started. It's a personal website (strictly not for profit and I have nothing to sell). The primary focus will be to serve as a sort of "Michelin Guide for coffee and espresso". Sort of a grandiose notion and the beginnings are very humble but I havhe a fair amount of content developed already (only one trip report has posted and the pics aren't added yet but I'm still trying to learn HTML). I'd love to get general feedback as to structure style, proposed content etc. If you want to check it out the URL is

httphttp://espressotravelguide.com.4t.com/
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Oops again - there should be only one "http" at the beginning of the web address.