Dining in Yellowstone

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Paula

Dining in Yellowstone

I'd appreciate advise about restaurants in Yellowstone. I've read the reviews in Fodors, but there seem to be only a few comments and I'm wondering if there are good places that haven't been mentioned. Would appreciate any added information. Thanks.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Greg

Unfortunately I can't help you much. We spent $75 eating at Old Faithful Inn and it was the biggest waste of my hard-earned $75! I was warned at this site that it would be bad but to do it anyway for the "ambience" (or something to that effect). If you want to eat in that area, my advice is to get a bite at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge and walk over to the Old Faithful Inn for dessert or something. Even the bar at the Snow Lodge isn't bad for a quick bite. One night it was so busy we went in the bar there and got an appetizer that was out of this world (yes, THAT good!) and it filled the two of us up. It was called Brushetta or something-Foccaccia or something like that! (Sorry!) The bartender suggested we try it and although we were hesitant we thought what the heck. It's the best thing we ate (besides huckleberry ice cream!) during our 6 days at Yellowstone! We also had a pretty good meal (New Zealand Duck w/Huckleberry Demi-Glaze) at the Lake Hotel. Unfortunately what others say about eating at Yellowstone is true. You'll have to settle for "good", because you won't find a "great" meal. But all of the park's eating establishments (including the snack shop at Old Faithful Inn) offer up Huckleberry ice cream for dessert and you MUST try this! Wilcoxson's (the ice cream brand) makes it ONLY for Yellowstone Park. Have fun!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Connie

Don't expect great food in Yellowstone unless you are camping and cook your own.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Paula

Thanks Greg and Connie for the information. We'll be sure to try the Huckleberry Ice Cream.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 02:02 PM
kay

We usually look for a hot breakfast, picnic lunch on hike, then light dinner in a park. Snow last week made us want more hot meals than usual and made picnicing difficult. So, we tried more of the park food than we had planned. Definitely disappointing even when you just want something simple.

Our biased opinions from last week:
OF Inn--breakfast buffet OK ($8 or so) can also order a la carte.
OF cafeteria--sandwiches really poor quality and still expensive.
OF snack bar--hot chocolate good.
Hamilton Store grill--poor quality and service.

Lake Hotel dining room--sandwich contained the cheese wrapper cooked right in, but the pasta special and huckleberry salad dressing were good.

Canyon cafeteria--breakfast OK, but cold; there's a microwave; dinner very institutional quality.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Paula

Thanks Kay and everyone that responded. Looks like we're going to be eating a lot of ice cream. oh well, the scenery should make up for the lack of food.