Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Difference between San Luis Obispo and Carmel & monterey area

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip and wondering what the difference is between the San Luis Obispo area vs. the Carmel and Monterey area. Do any of you prefer one place over the other, and why? Thanks!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:11 PM

To me, only a couple of differences. The SLO area is warmer. Carmel & Monterey have the ocean, but SLO is about 15 minutes away from it.

Other than that, and that Carmel and Monterey have a few more historic and touristic attractions, there isn't a whole lot of difference, IMO.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:21 PM

The differences are night and day. SLO is a college town with a agriculture ambiance. Thursday night Farmer's market is fun, but after that there is not much to do.

Carmel/Monterrey are seaside communities with stunning ocean scenery, top notch aquarium, world class golf, variety of restaurants, and attractions.

Given the two options for a newcomer to both parts, I would think it is Carmel/Monterrey hands down.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:48 AM

I agree that SLO and Monterey are quite different. I would definitely choose Monterey over SLO for a vacation.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:34 AM

Carmel is the 2-1 favorite in the higher real estate prices ratio, and as such - everything is different. Apply the same rationale to your home areas to envision this.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:40 AM

Totally apples and oranges. Not much similar at all except they are both in central California.

SLO would be a nice place to live, and as mentioned the Thurs night market is good. But for a tourist who doesn't get out to CA very often, there are 100X more things to see/do in Carmel/Monterey
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:54 AM

Another vote for Carmel/Monterey area vs San Luis Obispo (if you have to choose). DH and I have always like SLO as a good stopping place on our way driving from Northern Calif down to Southern Calif (love the Apple Farm Restaurant!) and we did actually spend a relaxing anniversary weekend one year in nearby Morro Bay (very pretty area), but there's alot more to see in Carmel/Monterey and I think it's more picturesque overall.