Detroit in January - Rent a car?

Old Dec 21st, 2009, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detroit in January - Rent a car?

Hi, I will be visiting Detroit for the Pistons game on the last week of January. I booked an hotel in Auburn hills and I will be staying there for 3 days. I intend to visit Detroit and I was wondering if it will be a good idea to rent a car? I'm not used to driving in snow or on icy roads. Do you think that renting a car is a MUST or will I be able to get around using cabs or public transportation? Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 05:32 AM

Detroit is not much for public transaction. You really need a car in Detroit.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 06:43 AM

A car is a must and much cheaper than taking cabs everywhere in Detroit.

When you pick up your car, make sure there's a snow brush/scraper in it. Most companies will provide them, but they may get broken or lost in the rental process. If it does snow, crews will be out salting and plowing and within a couple hours after it stops, the streets will be clear.

The best advice is that if you're unfamiliar with driving on icy roads and can avoid it, stay in your hotel and have a nice meal at the restaurant.

If you must go out, be sure to clear any snow off the entire vehicle. Clear all the windows and lights so you can see and be seen. Brush the snow off the hood and roof so it doesn't blow onto the windows while you're driving and obstruct your vision. Keep in mind that starting, stopping and turning take more distance on a slippery road. Don't do any of them suddenly. Also remember that just because the pavement where you're driving is clear, the entire road isn't necessarily in the same condition. Overpasses and roads near large open areas can re-freeze long before other parts of the street.

If you have time visit Meadowbrook Hall, the estate of lumber baron Alfred Wilson and Matilda Dodge (of Dodge Motors). It's very close to Auburn Hills always a great place to see. www.oakland.edu/mbh/
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM

Will say I've never been to Detroit before, but found a place to stay listed at Frommer's called The Inn on Ferry Street. What is interesting is that it's located about a block from two of the major sights in the city, the Detroit Historical Museum and Detroit Institute of Arts. And they provide shuttle service around town within a 5-mile radius of the place. Am guessing that if one wants to be car-less in Detroit, this might be an option.

Can't say I know anything else about the place, though.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM

The Inn on Ferry Street is close to the museums, however the OP is going to a Pistons game. The Pistons play at the Palace in Auburn Hills, about 30 miles north of downtown.

I'm sure the cost of a cab from downtown to The Palace and back would be more than the cost of a rental car as much of the time would be spent sitting in traffic around the arena.

If you add the difficulty of finding a cab after the game plus the cost of a cab to and from the airport (there are no shuttles), a rental car will be a bargain.

MDaniely, for info on how to get to and from the Palace, check www.palacenet.com. I really hope you get a chance to experience more of Detroit than the game. You'll probably be too late, but the Auto Show runs through Jan 24. It's really something to see at least once.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all tips. I will definitely use the information you provided. I do plan to see more of Detroit than the game - I will be staying in the area for 3 days.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 04:54 AM

You are staying in a good location to get to the Palace for the game. A warning however: make sure you give yourself plenty of time to drive there, especially if there is snow. There can be some fierce traffic jams getting to the arena. Another reason to rent a car instead of taking a cab. The meter ticking while sitting in traffic can get rather expensive. What else would you like to do while visiting?
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

I'm not sure yet about my plans. I guess it is largely depends on the weather. I can use any recommendation you might be able to give me. Thanks.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 12:18 PM

Depending on your interests, there are lots of things to do. Check this thread: http://tinyurl.com/yly4b22

Greenfield Village is closed for winter, but the indoor part of The Henry Ford is open year-round.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM

Could you stay at the Inn on Ferry Street for 2 nights and then stay in Auburn Hills only the game night? That would make a ton of sense to me. The city of Detroit, contrary to popular belief, has a TON of stuff worth seeing. If you are there on a Saturday morning, bundle up and go to the Eastern Market downtown. Go as super early as you can, have breakfast and then stroll the stalls. Fascinating.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM

If you are into shopping, there is Somerset Mall, the Village in Rochester Hills, Great Lakes Crossing (outlets) all with a 10 minute drive. I have restaurant recommendations at all of these venues if you want them. The small city of Rochester is a charming town with some great restaurants: Cruise and Muir, The Rochester Chop House, Cabin Cruisers (seafood), Andiamo. Henry Ford Museum is indeed a must-do if you are at all interested in history and the history of the Detroit auto industry. Although from your hotel in Auburn Hills, you'd be looking at a 45 minute drive at least. In Detroit that's a hop, skip and a jump. We are the Motor City, after all.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM

PS, don't want to contradict Lynnie, but I love the Eastern Market, however seldom go in the winter. In warmer weather the stalls are filled with farmers and their flowers, plants and produce. There are a few interesting shops, like Rafal Spice, Rocky Peanut Company and Hirts and with its unlimited cheese selections, but you are unlikely to to be in the market for those types of things while traveling. I highly recommend it in the spring, summer and fall however. If you are into art the Detroit Art Institute has a Friday Night Live event and a Sunday morning Brunch With Bach series. From your hotel, it would take you about 1/2 hour to get there. Underground parking is convenient right next to the Art Institute.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 05:33 PM

See if you can rent an SUV with 4 wheel drive. It really makes winter driving much easier and will make you feel much more secure. I know of no reasonable public transportation to the Palace.

January in Michigan is a dreary place so please don't base your opinions of us on this month. Downtown will be DEAD. What we mostly do in the winter is sporting events, such as the Pistons, Redwings, etc. Michigan is playing Michigan State in hockey at Joe Louis in Detroit around then.

If it were me, I would stay in Ann Arbor. It is only about 20 minutes from the airport and tons, tons livlier. Depending on when you come there will be lots of college sports going on. There are several great campus museums to visit and a very lively campus and downtown area with world class restaurants.

Come back in the summer for a Tigers game if you want to see Detroit.
Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 05:52 PM

I did want to add that staying in Ann Arbor will put you a good hour from the Palace. But as someone else mentioned, we that live here don't think that's far.

I think the main reason that I'm urging you toward Ann Arbor is because the students will be going around campus and getting to class and there will be lots of people OUTSIDE. It will just feel more winter wonderland than dead, dreary winter.

I'm not one of the suburbanites that never get downtown Detroit and I'm not a Detroit basher. We go fairly often, so I know that in January there would be hard to find a more desolate place on this earth. And Auburn Hills really isn't a place. It is filled in farm land. Rochester is a lovely town, but it would be hard to fill 3 days there. You could easily fill 3 days in Ann Arbor.