Detroit Airport to London ON

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have received two different directions for travel between DTW and London, Ontario. Should I take the 95 North to the 401 at Sarnia or take the 401 through Windsor. I am looking for the most quickest and most direct route.
Thank you.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:46 AM

I researched this question this summer for an August trip, although we were coming from central Michigan, not DTW. Everyone said to take the Sarnia route because the border crossing was much less congested. We took their advice and had absolutely no wait at the border on a weekday evening. London is just an hour's drive from Sarnia.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:49 AM

I think the easiest route is for you to get on Eastbound I-94 from the airport and take that all the way to the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron (crossing over to Sarnia). It's a very direct route.

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:52 AM

Just to correct your two options a bit - For your first choice I believe you mean take I-94 (in Michigan) to the 402 at Sarnia.

Some of this could depend on time of day and day of the week - you definitely want to avoid crossing into Canada during rush hour on a weekday if you can.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:02 AM

I agree that crossing at Sarnia would probably be less congested. Another advantage is that it would be all highway.

If you cross at the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit, you have to take Hwy 2 out of Windsor for a couple miles to reach the 401.

If you cross at the tunnel, you have to negotiate downtown Detroit traffic and downtown Windsor traffic.

Don't forget that if you don't have a passport, you need proof of identity (driver's license) AND proof of citizenship (birth certificate).
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your speedy replies. We will be crossing the border late at night, but it looks like Sarnia is the best way. Thanks again!