Search

Detroit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 04:38 PM
Walter

Detroit

There isn't a Fodors book for Detroit. Any Detroit attractions that are musts? Let me know.

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 06:57 PM
lori

I live in Pennsylvania now but Michigan is my home...If you're a sports fan Tiger Stadium and Joe Louis Arena (home to the Stanley Cup Champs!) are in downtown Detroit, as is "Greektown" for some awesome food! Check out Greenfield Village and Henry Ford (Auto) Museum, located in Dearborn.

Old Jul 1st, 1998, 01:17 PM
Irene

I agree with nicole. (I used to live outside of Detroit, but now live in Pa.]Other interesting things to do just in the outskirts of Detroit. Try the zoo.(Royal Oak). It is excellent. Also, Cranbrook (Bloomfield Hills around 16 mile) is a private boys school , but with interesting grounds and museum. Birmingham, just south of Bloomfield Hills, has a lot of good restaurants, as does Royal Oak. Try out the symphony in the restored Masonic Temple. Also, thre used to be frestival each week downtown representing various ethnic groups in the city.

Old Jul 1st, 1998, 03:15 PM
Kitty

I whole-heartedly agree with all of the above recommendations!
I would also recommend checking out the Royal Oak Music Theatre (bands, plays and such). Shopping in Royal Oak is interesting also. The area has some unusual shops.
If you are into concerts, Detroit ranks up there with New York and LA ( in my opinion) in the quantity of concert tours going through a city. Check out TicketMaster for tickets. The main concert venues are: The Palace, Joe Louis Arena, Cobo Hall for the "big" names and The Royal Oak Music Theatre for the " up and coming".
If you like gambling ( and are old enough) you may want to go to Windsor. They also have some good restaurants.
Enjoy!
Kitty

Old Jul 1st, 1998, 03:18 PM
Kitty

Sorry, I forgot to tell you about the great fishing if you are into that. There are Metroparks throughout the Detroit Metropolitan area that are good fishing holes. Also, check into some of the fishing on either Lake St. Claire or if you go a little north you can go to Lake Huron. My dad used to take me fishing on those lakes...had a great time!

Kitty

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 07:05 PM
lynn

Walter,
Are you visiting Detroit for business or pleasure? The answer will really indicate where you should stay. If I was travelling to Detroit, (I live in a sub of Detroit) I would stay in Birmingham. It's a suburb of Detroit. They have about 3 or 4 hotels, but the best is the Townsend. And Birmingham is centrally located. Great shopping, restaurants and nightlife. Also, it's only about 6 or 7 miles away from another cool area, Royal Oak. I liken Royal Oak to something like SoHo. Funky, one of a kind shops and loads of coffee shops, restaurants and bars. (There's not really any hotels you'd want to stay at in RO)
Birmingham is also within driving distance to Downtown Detroit. You may be underwhelmed. The city is on the upswing but still not many touristy areas. You've got to go to the burbs for that.

Good luck...