desperate for tickets to sit in Senate

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be visiting DC for 2 days in June. We already have tickets for a tour of the Capitol, but my husband is a political junkie and is desperate to sit in the Senate. I have checked online and it seems one can only get tickets through one's Congressperson, whish is a little difficult if one is Australian. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 05:49 AM

"International visitors may inquire about Gallery passes at the House and Senate Appointment Desks on the upper level" of the Capitol Visitor Center.

http://www.visitthecapitol.gov/visit/

It looks like you just ask for them when you arrive at the Visitor Center - although you could write or email them to be sure.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know if things have changed. I was in washington many years ago. I took the tour of Congress and briefly visited both chambers.

I also wanted to sit in (make sure they're in session when you're there).

We were told to go to the building across the street and get a pass from "my" congressman.

Well, I too was a foreigner. I asked the guide what to do and she pointed to an office right beside us. I was in and out in a couple of minutes.

I was quite amused that US citizens have to go across to a different building and find the correct office. Then get a pass.

All I had to do was walk into an office right in front of me.

During that short one day's visit I saw Bob Dole and Ted Kennedy give speeches and later in the day (I returned knowing that a vote was to take place) saw a vote in the Senate.

There was somebody who worked for a Representative sitting beside me and he explained some of the goings on.

It was funny to watch many of the senators come in after the preliminary vote had be taken. That way they get their name called out individually requesting their vote.

Then you see some senators going over to others and appear to be speaking very cordially (same party).

It was explained to me that there's a lot of arm twisting going on.

Very interesting.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:32 AM

I wouldn't think that you would have much of a problem obtaining Gallery Passes as described by Cranachin. However, I would probably use the "Contact Us" option at the bottom of that link to ask exactly what the process is for obtaining the passes as a non-US citizen and what documentation, if any, you will have to provide to get the passes.

I hope that you are able to visit the Senate Gallery, but don't be surprised if there are few Senators there or if it's pretty boring. We attended Question Time at the Australian House of Representatives a few years ago and it was anything but boring! I wish our Congress had something similar to liven things up!
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Thnank you all for the helpful replies. I have sent off a query using the "Contact us" link , as suggested by longhorn55. Much obliged.
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 05:57 AM

Don't expect too much from your gallery passes. Of the 3 times I've had gallery passes, I've seen activity on the chamber floor just once, and that consisted of a single senator, all by himself delivering a resolution to the senate officer in charge that day and about a dozen senate pages, to wish a happy birthday to a fellow senator.

It's rare to see a large group of senators or congressmen in their respective chambers at one time.