Search

Denver Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 05:53 AM
Melissa Pillik

Denver Restaurants

I am traveling to Denver in October for business and need to entertain some clients. Can anyone recommend some restaurants that should not be missed while staying in Denver. We will be attending an event at the convention center, so I also need suggestions for places for lunch within walking distance. Any help would be tremendously appeciated!!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:58 AM
Les

Melissa,
Try the Chop House (near Coors Field) in the downtown area for steaks). Moderately priced, casual. This is where the Denver sports teams usually come for their team meals. Also Brooks Steak House at Arapahoe and Yosemite (very expensive, not casual, but excellant food and service). you'll need to drive there from downtown.
Also try Yia Yia's Cafe (Belleview and Yosemite) for an excellent variety of continental food. There tenderloin is also excellent. Moderately priced. You'll also need to drive there.
For Italian, try Mangione's (at the Pavilions downtown, walking distance from the Convention Center. Reasonably priced, the portions are HUGE (you could probably feed 3 peple from one order).
Hope this helps.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 08:37 AM
Monica

The Chop House has great atmosphere but the food's not spectacular for the price. There's much better steak at the Broker, which is sort of a Denver institution, in an old bank on 16th St. There's also a Ruth's Chris & a Morton's if you're more concerend about image than local flavor.
The place Les mentions at the Pavillians is actually Maggiano's, a Chicago-based chain. They have pretty good food with big family-sized portions, so it's good for a group. Similar but a little more casual & fun atmosphere is Buca di Beppo. The BEST place for family-style italian is Carmine's on Penn just a few minutes from downtown in a residential neighborhood - make a reservation because it's usually full.
Try Larimer Square for lunch, on Larimer St. between 14th & 15th. Several restaurants & shops. If you want to try something different, there's a Nepalese restaurant called Mt. Everst on Champa between 15th & 16th. Everyone I've taken there loved it (even those not typically adventurous) & it's cheap. I think they might even have a lunch buffet!
Brooks & Yia Yia's are a good 20-30 minute drive from downtown, depending on traffic. You have to go down I-25, which I try to avoid as much as possible.
If you want a somewhat touristy experience & don't min a short drie into the foothills, try the Fort. It looks like an old fort, staff wears period costumes, & they have some good game dishes.
The Cherry Creek neighborhood is just about 10-15 minutes from downtown, & has several good restaurant, lots of cute shops, etc. Papillon has excellent food. The Barolo Grill has awesome (not family-style) italian & a wonderful atmosphere.
Hope that helps, enjoy your stay!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 10:49 AM
marty

the following restaurants have fabulous food and great atmosphere--perfect for entertaining clients--Barolo Grill, Papillion, Fourth Story (it's on the 4th floor of the Tattered Cover Bookstore in Cherry Creek (would be a quick cab ride from downtown), Mel's (Mediterranean food and a great wine list in a casual atmosphere) also in Cherry Creek, Zenith (downtown), Highland's Garden Cafe--in a neighborhood northwest of downtown (again a quick cab ride)--lovely garden, fab food--I would skip the chain restaurants if I were you

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 11:28 AM
David

Melissa,

Nothing against Les, however, every restaurant he mentioned (with the exception of Brook's) is part of a chain. I don't know about you but when I'm in a new city I want to try the local places.

As for the Chop House, I must say I agree with Monica. It's a neat place but the food is inconsistent. It might make a good choice for lunch (if they're open) or drinks and hors d' oeurves but it's always a bit of a gamble at dinner. That said, though, I must admit there's a unique Irish pub called "Fados" right behind the Chop house and a pretty rowdy "dueling piano" bar beneath it: both of these places can be fun for entertaining.

I also agree with Monica on her suggestions of Carmine's (great locals Italian place) Barolo Grill (probably one of the top two italian restaurants in Denver--about 12 minutes from downtown) and Papillon Cafe (French-Vietnamese food--in Cherry Creek about fifteen minutes from downtown, unique and fabulous).
By the way, Cherry Creek probably possesses the highest concentration of quality restaurants in all of Denver. The area is so competitive that restaurants have to be good or they simply don't survive. Some other suggestions there might include: Mel's Bar and Grill (in spite of the name this is actually an upscale neighborhood bistro with excellent food and a very knowledgeble staff--nightly mood jazz), The Chinnook Tavern (Continental cuisine focusing on Austrian and German food--excellent schnitzels, fondue, etc.), Manhattan Grill (excellent independently owned steak house--New York atmosphere, nightly Jazz), Campo de Fiore (brand new Italian place garnering great reviews). I could go on namimg places in C.C. but suffice it to say all of the above places are quality restaurants with good food, service and atmosphere. Now back to downtown...

The Larimer Square area that Monica mentioned is hit and miss. Great area to walk around but keep in mind that it's a high tourist area and doesn't necessarily contain the best restaurants. a couple of exceptions there are the Market (sandwiches, salads--literally a market/cafe) and, if you like Russian food, The Little Russian Cafe (1/2 block behind Larimer Square. I've also heard good thing about Mt. Everest that Monica mentioned.

I know you said you needed places with walking distance so here are a few others that aren't parts of chains:

1. Rialto Cafe--16th street mall, unique place, good atmosphere, good menu

2. Brown Palace Hotel--105 year old four star hotel. Try the Cigar room in the back (Churchill's) or, if nobody smokes, The Palace Arms restaurant right next to it (Napoleonic-style four-star restaurant featuring fabulous continental cuisine--great for lunch or dinner--this is the kind of room they simply don't build anymore--reservations strongly suggested: jackets required for men).

3. Panzanos at the Hotel Monaco (Nice room, good Italian, lunch or dinner)

4. Sevilla (Spanish tapas bar--great food, unique atmosphere and dancing nightly)

5. Wynkoop Brewery (Every city has microbreweries now but this was one of the first and arguably still one of the best. Good food, historic building, great beers, open for lunch and dinner, plus an incredible--and civilized--pool hall upstairs).

Hope this helps.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 01:04 PM
Les

David,
Your comment re. "chain" restaurants has a snobbish ring to it. If you view all chain restaurants as McDonalds offspring, you'll miss some fine dining.
I mentioned the restaurants I did because I've had fine meals at all of them. How does the ambiance and/or food at Yia Yia's or the Chop House differ from that of a similar "local" restaurant? Does an otherwise excellent meal lose something in Denver because another restaurant with the same name exists in Chicago? Do "locals" not eat at these restaurants (you might want to point that out to the Avalanche the next time you see them at the Chop House)?
Sorry, but ruling out restaurants simply on the basis of being a "chain" restaurant is pretty limiting.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 01:22 PM
David

Les,

I think you took offense when none was meant. I, too , eat at "chain" restaurants (I think Il Fornaio is one of the best restaurants in town). All I meant was that when I travel to another city, I like to try independent places that I couldn't eat in back home and, having worked in hotels /restaurants for twenty-one years, I simply have encountered many people who feel the same way.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the places you suggested (which is why I began my last e-mail by saying, "Nothing against Les...") I simply listed "independents" in case Melissa wished to try places that weren't duplicated wherever she lives.

Didn't mean to offend you.

David

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 09:14 AM
holly

David -

There is another Fado (the "unique" pub you mentioned)in Chicago and, i believe, a number of other cities.

People who live in glass houses . . .

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 01:06 PM

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 01:41 PM
Gretchen

Ruth's Chris in Denver is not good from my experience.
A great experience is to have a drink at the Cruise Room of the Oxford Hotel. Great martinis in an art deco room.
Actually the Chop House is a part of the Rock Bottom Brewery corporation so it is sort of hometown for Denver in spite of now being a chain.
I have heard good things about Ray's from my Denver family--haven't eaten there yet.
The Fort is indeed a one of a kind place--near Red Rocks in Morrison. All kinds of game dishes.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 07:05 PM
eggonface

David -

Holly's right - that unique Irish pub is part of a chain - Chicago, D.C., Atlanta et al.

Takes away some of the punch of your "i'm a purist when it comes to local flavor" bravado

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 08:09 PM
Lexm90

Nobody's mentioned Palimino yet - it's a nicer Italian restaurant off 16th St. It's within walking distance of the convention center (I'm pretty sure), and upscale but not too expensive. Good for clients.

I like the food at the Rialto, also on 16th St., but every time I've gone there, the wait has been incredibly long.

I also like Zenith (also downtown, though on 17th St.), though it's suffered some ups and downs in the last few years. The noise level can get high, though. If you have a larger group, they have 1 or 2 private rooms.

Yia Yia's is ok if you're in the Denver Tech Center area, but definitely not worth the drive down there.

The Fort is interesting, and the views of the city are great, so if you have the time & energy to make the trip up into the foothills, it might be good for client entertaining.

Everest is fun, and does have a lunch buffet, but I wouldn't ever take clients there.

On the whole, the previous comments about Cherry Creek are accurate, in terms of the number of good restaurants that are located there. I've had good business-related dinners as Pappilon and Chinook Tavern, and would reccommend both in particular. Barolo Grill (not in Cherry Creek) is also worth a visit.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 09:59 AM
Toni

We were in Denver last year to ski and visit some friends. They took us to "Vesta" which I really enjoyed. Interesting menu and we loved the ambiance. Crowded but not so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think, a large room with high "warehouse" style ceilings and both booths and tables for seating and a huge bar. I had a entree/soup that was out of this world. Lemongrass, large blackcapped mushrooms, shrimp and other yummy ingredients...I want to go back just for that! I kept their card...The address is 1822 Blake St. 303-296-1970. I don't know Denver well but this seemed like an old downtown area.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 07:42 AM
David

Dear Holly and eggon,

As I stated in my second response to this posting I have nothing against "chain" restaurants. I believe there are hundreds of good "chains" I merely thought that Melissa might wish to try some different places when traveling to another city.

No, I did not realize Fados was a chain--so in that instance I stand corrected. I will try to be more careful in the future.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Stephany

Holly & Eggonface:

I, too, am planning a trip to Denver in the Fall and appreciate hearing about non-chain properties. So what if David listed 1 chain restaurant in his e-mail, at least HE was trying to come up with some suggestions as opposed to the 2 of u who apparently read through these messages in a feeble attempt to find fault. Also, at least he uses a real address unlike you 2 who cowardly criticize from the safety of your false identities.

Here's an idea: try being constructive!

P.S. Thanks for the tips, David.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Bob Pietlock

I agree with a lot of what I read above, disagree strongly with a little bit of it. Fado, near the ballpark and the Chop House is a chain, is fun and has very good food. The Chop House is one of our most OVER rated restaurants - salty and greasy and overpriced. And WAY TOO LOUD. Selecting places down in the Tech Center area if you are at the Conventiton Center is just nuts. The traffic will kill more than the hour or so you have to eat. Maybe dinner down there, but with all the good places in the central area (Carmine's, Brown Palace, Maggione's, Mel's, The Oxford Hotel, etc., etc.) why drive to "the darkness on the edge of town"?

Everybody overlooked Domo and The Buckhorn Exchange, both on Osage near downtown and within blocks of each other, both outstanding for food and atmosphere. Domo (which also contains a Buddhist-like temple, Aikido dojo, Japanese garden and authentic teahouse) serves some of the best Japanese country cooking anywhere. Spell that "NO sushi". Step through the front door and you feel like "you're not in Kansas anymore" - or Denver. The Buckhorn is three blocks away and has been at this location for over 100 years. In Denver THAT'S OLD. I think they hold Denver liquor license number one. Filled with taxidermy and real antiques, it serves game food, better steaks than Ruth's Chris (a chain) Rocky Mountain Oysters (deep fried beef testicles - tastes like chicken), aligator tail, and the most incredible duck, pheasant and quail I've ever had. Teddy Roosevelt ate here many times on his way to game hunts in the Rockies.

You should also know that Denver holds the number one spot nationally for number of brew pubs. Finding good restaurants within a short walking distance of the Convention Center is not possible. Lastly, Federal Boulevard, just west of town, is known locally as "The Silk Road" because of the proliferation of Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean restaurants and "noodle joints". That's where I take lunch nearly every day. For the record, I'm Polish.

Old Sep 13th, 2001, 03:25 AM
Gretchen

Bob is right on about Domo--it is a dining experience in a beautiful setting. It is only open Thurs.-Sat.or Sun. I think. Also they do have sushi but it is entirely different--forget the Japanese name but it is "sushi in a bowl". REALLY good!