Search

Denver Area Visit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 05:42 PM
Bill

Denver Area Visit

I am considering a 3-4 day visit to the Denver area. I would like to see some great mountain scenery along with some work-free / stress free serenity (don't we all need some of that?). What would be a recommended drive to see some great scenery and towns in the nearby area? How far is The Valley of the gods (I think that is the correct name) from Denver? Thanks.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 05:54 PM
Terry

Bill,
I think you may be asking about The Garden of the Gods, located in Colorado Springs. It is an hours drive south of Denver. Beautiful and serene. Nearby is the small community of Manitou Springs where you can ride the cog railway to the top of Pikes Peak. Very scenic! Also, take I-70 west out of Denver for a great drive.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 05:35 AM
XX

Just a suggestion--if you really want to experience mountain scenery and relaxation, DON'T stay in Denver. You would be much better off flying into Denver, then driving to Vail (2 hrs), Aspen (4 hrs), or Breckenridge(1.5 hrs) and making that your home base. From any of those towns you will be able to do some hiking, strolling in little shopping villages, and the scenery will be beautiful! If you stay in Denver you will be in a large city and will have to drive at least an hour to get to anything that could be considered "serene." I definitely encourage you to go, though, you will love it!!

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 06:13 AM
Tacey

Bill,
I was in Denver last summer and went hiking in the national park in Bolder. It was the most incredible site! It was about a 1/2 hours drive from downtown. They have a web site: http://www.insiders.com/boulder/
Have fun!

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 06:01 PM
ldsant

Estes Park is beautiful if you're going to stay in Denver. Also, a drive up to Beaver Creek/Vail is gorgeous as well with pull-off points along the way. It's not that far from Denver either so perhaps for a few nights? Also, the Botanical Gardens in Denver are a lovely respite too!