Reload this Page >

Denver area in late December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 12:35 PM
Mac

Hello all, I am going to be travelling to Denver around Christmas to visit, sight see and maybe do some snow boarding. I have never been to the Rockies area before and am not totally sure what to expect at that time. I am originally from the Santa Cruz mountains (which are not really mountains compared to the Rockies) and I go to the Sierras snow pretty often. I am just wondering if anyone can give me some insight on what to expect at this time of the year, both weather-wise and touristy type info. Thanks in advance!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 08:37 AM
mona

I live in Denver and the weather can be anything from sunny to snowy. When it does snow, it is usally brief and melts off in a day or two. If you are going to be traveling mountain passes good snow tires and at least a front wheel drive car is best. If you are not familiar with mountain driving you may feel more comfortable with a 4 wheel drive. For city driving, the roads stay pretty clear do to the volume of traffic. For info on city things to do, look up cityseach.com and click on Denver. There are quite a few ski areas within 2 hours of Denver, but this is high season so book ahead if you plan to stay over night. Condos are about the same price as hotel rooms if you like the extra space. I don't need room service and a pool so I enjoy having a small apartment verus a small hotel room. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Lexma90

The previous poster gave you lots of good information. I also live in Denver, and we have a place in Breckenridge.

Re how much snow there will be at Christmas-time at the ski resorts, it's always hard to tell. If we get a good snow year, most everything at all the resorts will be open by then. If it's a bad year, there will be lifts & areas still closed. I'm not a boarder, so I don't know when the terrain parks at the resorts usually open.

If you're staying in or near Denver, you can make day trips up to a lot of the "Summit County" resorts (Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin), or to Winter Park or Vail (which is a little further).

Over Christmas, of course, the roads will be busy on the drive up to the ski resorts, and the resorts will be packed (though, if that's when you're there, it's not like the skiing/boarding is BAD, or anything). It's premium time for hotels and condo rentals, so if you're considering that, you'll be paying high season prices. It's definitely easier to stay up in the mountains, though. The up side to the season is that all the resorts have all sorts of specially Christmas/New Years type activities.

The drive into the mountains is usually not bad, weather-wise. Because it's a trucking route, and because tourism is so important to Colorado, the transportation department does a great job of keeping the roads clear, and the roads are rarely closed. If a storm hits while you're driving, or you're driving up after a storm, expect delays, of course, and be careful driving.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Terry

Mac,
WE stayed at a Bed @ Breakfast in Colorado Springs a few years back over the Christmas Holidays. It was a great holiday even some snow at that low elevation, great for Christmas spirit, plenty to see. Not a lot to do, alot of places were closed.

The trouble was that breakfast was a sure thing at the B&B, finding a place to have dinner and especially a Christmas dinner was a problem, we were lucky to find a place to eat period, and that was in Colorado Springs. You are going to be up in the mountains where the towns are smaller. Everybody wants to be home for Christmas so plan ahead.

If you plan to go to the Denver Mint tour, forget it, it's been closed since 9/11/01, even the gift shop. You can still purchase via the internet.

Driving will be somewhat of a challenge if you are not used to driving in the mountains and snow, up is not so bad, going down the other side is a different story. Take your time, the locals will be flying by you, it will take some time for your car to adjust to the altitude. Once you get off the main highway (US-70) the roads will be plowed and sanded and in some places the road will still be hard packed snow. Take your time the snow and the mountains will still be there when you arrive.

Don't rely totally on the information off of the internet. Invest a few dollars in some phone calls for information and you will have a great time. Snow will not be a problem this year, they have plenty.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Elaine

A word of warning if you are coming from a low altitude. Try to stay in Denver the first day you're here and then head up to the mountains. High altitude sickness isn't a laughing matter. At the very least, people who come from sea level often experience severe headaches if they go straight to the mountains from the airport. So,if you can at least delay it by one day, that would be best.