Reload this Page >

Where to stay & eat on Whidbey Island.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Pat

We are going to Whidbey Island in April. Any suggestions on where to stay and places to eat? We read about Captain Whidbeys Inn located in Coupeville - any comments? Thanks!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:29 PM
Dina

We stayed at that Captain Whidbey place last year and didn't care for it. We stayed in the main building as that was the only availble rooms at that time. Bathrooms down the hall and VERY VERY tiny rooms. With paper thin walls and people on each side and the price was over $100 a night. Would never ever recommend it.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 01:13 PM
mms

I have to disagree with the Poster above. We stayed at the Captain Whidbey Inn a couple of years ago. We did tour the rooms upstairs in the Inn and I can see how they would be uncomfortable - (they are also supposed to be inhabited by a number of ghosts. . .) Anyway, our quite large room with private bathroom was in a fairly new adjacent building. The building was a four-plex type unit. We had a HUGE plate glass picture window that looked out on a lovely garden and then out to a beautiful cove - we kept the shades open all night - just enjoying the stars and the lovely, full-moon lit view. Our room was very comfortable and cozy - the furniture was supposedly special antiques - but I'm really not into antiques so it didn't make much difference to me. The accomodations were just four units - two upstairs, two down - each with a pleasant front porch or balcony. We had plenty of privacy - never saw or hear another soul in the building. The breakfasts at the Inn were spectacular - we even bought the recipe book. The little town nearby was cute with a couple of fairly good restaurants - however, we spent very little time there. We went to Olympic National Park and ate at a favorite restaurant of ours in Port Townsend. We also spent nearly a full day at a lovely state park that was nearby on Whidbey island. It had lovely hiking trails, a pleasant beach and wild black berries everywhere.

We really enjoyed our stay at Captain Whidbey's, however, if the only rooms you can get are in the main lodge - I too would opt for somewhere else.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:00 PM
d.embody

If you are able, do yourself a favor and cross the ferry and stay in Port Townsend. It is so lovely and the ferry ride is very nice.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:10 PM
maw

Hey! Hubb and I are heading over to Whidbey for a long overdue NO KIDS romance getaway in April. We are splurging and staying at the Chauntecleer House near Langley. The Langley area has the biggest choice of lodging options. You didn't say what you are looking for--family or romantic type? Let us know! My husband proposed at the Captain Whidbey so there's a soft spot in my heart for the place, but nevertheless it's not my choice for accomodations--a beautiful location tho!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Dick

If budget is not a major consideration, look into the Inn at Langley. Lovely place with a superb restaurant (open only on weekends and only to people staying there).

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Marion

Yes, the Inn at Langley is very nice. Zen like rooms. Godd views. Worth the $200 a night. Very peaceful.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Dina

We spent several nights at the Captain Whidbey after our October wedding--a gift from a relative. We had what was probably the best room in the main building. It was very roomy, and had a huge four-poster bed with drapes all around. Lovely view, very peaceful, we did not hear other guests. Good breakfasts, friendly staff. Definitely a rustic atmosphere, however, with a bathroom across the hall.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:16 PM
maw

Pat, I hope you return and tell us if it's romance or family and if $$ is a major concern!
Yes, the Inn at Langley is supposed to be great, haven't stayed there but have heard about it.