Reload this Page >

denver and colorado springs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:11 PM
J. Turner

Hello everyone. I've got a few non-travel questions to ask you all about Denver and Colorado Springs. Well, I've been considering a move to Denver or Colorado Springs for a change of scenary, however, I've read that the mountains are actually far away from Denver? Is this true? If so, how far? Is this true for Colorado Springs too? I really adore mountain scenery, but if the mountains are far to reach, then it wouldn't be worth it to me. I'm looking for a city similar to asheville or pittsburgh, but out-west. I haven't had the chance to visit neither of these places because of work. So I'd like to hear what you all have to say. Feel free to contact me at the
e-mail address listed above.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 03:21 AM
Gretchen

The mountains are very visible from Denver--ski areas about an hour-hour and a half drive.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:04 AM
xx

The mountains are right outside Colorado Springs. In fact you can see the suburban sprawl climbing up them. I just spent four days there and would not want to live there. Visit it before deciding to move there.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 06:21 AM
iad

J --

I've lived in both Denver and the Springs. Loved them both...

Denver is indeed a big(gish) city located quite near the mountains, though they are definitely not next to or in the mountains. The city of Denver itself could be St. Louis or Kansas City or any other like-sized city -- but it happens to have the Rockies as a backdrop.

CS is much smaller and definitely at the base of the front range. It may be more of what you're looking for if proximity to the mountains is important for you.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Austin

If you're looking for a city like Asheville, you probably won't want to consider Colorado Springs. In previous threads regarding this city, it's been pointed out that Colorado Springs is quite conservative.

...And no one in their right mind would classify Asheville as conservative. Maybe you should think about Boulder, if you're considering a liberal mountain town?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:48 AM
travellyn

If you come to Colorado to take a look, it would be easy to visit both cites, since they're only an hour or so apart. I was thinking Boulder might be a better choice, too, even before reading the post above.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Jen

My husband and I have been looking into the Boulder county for similar reasons. The commute to Denver is about 45 min (in good weather). Although Boulder (the town) is too expensive, the outlying areas (which I think are very beautiful) such as Nerderland and Ward (approx 13 miles from Boulder)are somthing to also consider.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:34 PM
moving

look at this post" Where should we live in Colorado?"

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Lenleigh

Turner,

It really depends on what you do for a living as well. You can live in the suburbs/outskirts of Denver and be in or next to the mountains.I would suggest the Jefferson County area, Golden, Boulder.... I love Denver personally. I have also lived in both places(currently in Colorado Springs) and cannot wait to move. It is VERY conservative,large military presence and much smaller then Denver. I like to ski and I-70 out of Denver is more viable to the resorts than Colorado Springs.

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Deb

J. Turner,
Colorado Springs is a much prettier locale than the mile-high city of Denver. There are beautiful mountains surrounding the city. This past summer was our first trip to C. Springs and I absolutely fell in love with it! It is always recommended when moving to a new city to rent first to see if you really like it.
The drive from Denver to C. Springs is about an hrs drive...it is approx 78 miles apart...beautiful drive.
Good luck on your choice.