Search

Denali to Seward?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:41 AM
ljv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denali to Seward?

Realistically, how long would it take to drive this route,with 1-2 stops for food,etc. We are considering this to avoid an ovewrnight in Anchorage, as we will be concluding our Alaska vacation in Anchorage for 2 nights.
Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Seward?
Any input is appreciated.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:07 PM

HI Express is brand new and generally gets good reviews.

You're looking at about 370 miles.

Depending on when you start your day you could get a good breakfast or lunch Talkeetna. Breakfast, however, would meal driving about three hours or so on an empty stomach. But a Fairview Inn breakfast is a treat.

I'd grab one meal in Talkeetna and stop in Wasilla or Eagle River for a snack, then stop again for a break or a bite in Girdwood before the final push to Seward. It will be a long scenic day -- don't try to zoom too fast from Anchorage to Girdwood, because that stretch is some of the nice roadside scenery in AK.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:11 PM

The answer to your time question may vary considerably depending on what time of year, what day of the week, and time of day. In good weather with OK traffic, plan for 4-5 hours from Denali to Anchorage and 2 1/2 - 3 hours or so from Anchorage to Seward, not counting stops.

In winter, the time from Anchorage to Seward may extend quite a bit (hours to days) depending on weather and avalanche conditions. Weather can also be a factor between Denali and Anchorage in winter.

In the summer, weekend days will take longer than weekdays Anchorage to Seward because of the heavy recreational traffic flowing from the Anchorage area to the Kenai Peninsula. On weekdays, traffic flow may be congested during going to work and going home hours in Wasilla, Palmer, and Anchorage.

I can't help with the Holiday Inn Express in Seward.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:04 PM

I would allow 9 hours for the drive with stops. There is no point in putting yourself on a tight schedule- with possible heavy traffic, construction delays etc..

Not recommended by me, why not consider adjusting your days in Anchorage with one at the end???

The Holiday Express in Seward is very nice and a good location for the Kenai fjords boat tours, RR depot, cruise ship. About a mile walk to the Sealife Center.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
ljv
Original Poster

thanks for the feedback,everyone!Since we're travelling in August, we'll take it nice and slow to Seward and savor the views.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 03:37 AM

It's funny, we drove from the Talkeetna area to Kenai but it didn't seem like a long drive. I guess that's because of the scenery whereas we consider an 8 hr drive that includes the Tappan Zee bridge and NJ as grueling. The Anchorage to Girdwood section is definitely the best. If you end up near Anchorage for lunch, I recommend the Moose's Tooth for great pizza and pretty good views (from the patio section). It's handy to the south bound lane of the Seward Hwy. Make sure you do not travel on an empty stomach because there aren't many places to stop between Talkeetna and Wasilla.