Denali - plane or Park?

Search

Denali - plane or Park?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Denali - plane or Park?

I am in the earliest stages of planning an Alaska trip for next year. I just talked to friends who went a few years back, and they were not too impressed with their visit to Denali National Park. They said that there were very few animals to be seen. My primary interest in any case would be seeing the mountain, so I'm wondering whether my time and money might be better invested in a flight out of Talkeetna, or even Anchorage. If I could afford one of the lodges inside the park I might do that, but I am reluctant to spend that much money.

I am a big train fan, so the train ride to Talkeetna is attractive, but my friends said the scenery between Anchorage and Talkeetna wasn't great, and if I had to wait for good weather it might be better to do that in Anchorage.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many years ago, we did both the plane trip from Talkeetna and toured inside the park. I loved both as we had beautiful weather and saw many animals (including bears and moose). I would not want to have to choose between the two. But, there are some other things to consider when making your decision. Due to it's altitude, the mountain makes it's own weather. We were told that flights are often cancelled due to winds, cloud cover, etc. This doesn't mean you can't see anything at all, just that it's not safe to take a plane to see it. On the other hand, you can only drive 15 miles into the park. Beyond that you must be on a park bus (or bicycle). You can get on/off anywhere, but it takes a little effort to plan so you don't end up without a ride back. I don't know about the lodging inside the park, but we stayed at a B&B in Healy and a B&B in Talkeetna. I don't remember the names or the costs, but they had to be affordable because we were on a budget. You might want to spend 2-3 days in the area for a better chance of seeing the mountain. There are many things to do (whitewater rafting, hiking, fishing etc), and it would be a shame to go all the way to Alaska and not see the Alaskan wilderness.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 12:59 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Denali is spectacular and the view from inside the park can be wondrous. If you have the time and resources, it shouldn't be missed.

However it's true that some high percentage of visitors to the park don't actually see the mountain because of weather (it makes its own) and if wildlife isn't a big draw for you, then - depending totally on personal values and tastes - you might spend the same time/money differently.

Partly it has to do with your time availability. From Anchorage, any trip to Denali really needs three days - one to get there, one in the park, and one returning. If all you have in Alaska (say before or after a cruise) is a week, then that's a big chunk out of it - days that might be spent on the Kenai Peninsula, or on the Richardson Highway, or cruising around Prince William Sound, or on a quick trip to an arctic village - Kotzebue or Barrow, for example. It's all about personal priorities.

If you choose to see Denali from the air, you can do so from Talkeetna or Anchorage, and if Anchorage either on a floatplane or on wheels.

Some of the Talkeetna flights offer landings on various glaciers, which can be a terrific experience. Or floatplane operators out of Anchorage can offer landings on a nearby lake, maybe one with a unique view of the mountain.

In both cases, however, the key is to have a day when "the mountain is out," i.e. visible from the air (or land for that matter.) If Denali is socked in, it doesn't matter whether you're on a plane or on a shuttle bus inside the park.

There are two reasons I'd opt for a flight out of Anchorage instead of Talkeetna. The first is that it takes several hours to get to Talkeetna, either on the train or in a car, and if the mountain's not flyable, IMO the village of Talkeetna isn't worth the time you'll have spent getting there and back. You could have been doing something else with that time and money.

The second reason is that you have numerous other options flying out of Anchorage. Look for example at Rust's website - http://www.flyrusts.com/alaska-flightseeing.html (Rust's is one of the oldest and most respected flying services on Lake Hood, Anchorage's amazing floatplane base.) If McKinley is a washout, you've still got numerous options for awesome flights - over Prince William Sound and the Harding Icefield, or over to the other side of Cook Inlet for bear viewing, and so on.

Flying to Denali from Anchorage takes longer than from Talkeetna, but that's not such a bad thing. The scenery from the road (and, really, the train) between Anchorage and Talkeetna isn't all that wonderful (mainly forest on both sides of the road once you're past Wasilla) but from the air, you can fly up the Big Su drainage, or over true wilderness country. Then as you approach Denali, the mountain grows and grows until it's all you can see out the front of the plane, and you're still 50 miles away. Amazing.

So base your decision on what you'd like to see most and are willing to commit the time to experience. But IMO keeping your options open is never an unwise move.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. I will not be particularly time-constrained, but waiting out bad weather in Anchorage definitely sounds more attractive than in Talkeetna.

I have walked on a glacier already (Pakistan) and am quite happy just looking at them (it was the fabulous glaciers I saw in Patagonia last year that moved Alaska up my must-see list) so a lake landing with a different view sounds very interesting.

If I book a flight ahead of time and the weather doesn't co-operate, am I altogether out of luck, or would I be able to go the next day?
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 01:41 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sure they'll try to accommodate you on another day if it's possible. They don't want to lose the revenue either. But confirm the details when you book.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 04:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We did the flight from Talkeetna and had to wait a while for the weather to clear. Spectacular views of the mountain but you can't count on being able to fly.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 05:17 PM

During our visit, we saw an assortment of animals, including grizzly and caribou. Again, like viewing the mountain, there are no guarantees.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 07:00 PM

We've done both--Denali bus ride twice. Both were awesome.The two just aren't comparable.

We saw a lot of wildlife (several different kinds of animals) both trips and all of Mt McKinley one time. The bus trip in Denali doesn't cost all that much so if you've got the time, why not? But, if you are going to choose one, take the flight. it's amazing.
Old Oct 30th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Well, the bus trip may not be expensive, but you have to add the cost of getting there and back, and the extra hotel nights. I would be spending some time in Anchorage anyway. My friends are going to show me their photos, which may give me a better idea.